Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How early can I check into my Dubai flight and use first class lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early can I check into my Dubai flight and use first class lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Wasn't there somebody on here a while back complaining that EK had cancelled one of their tickets when they had 2 departing to different destinations?

I can't remember the exact scenario, but he had an original flight say from India - Dubai - Doha, but then needed to get to the US instead. So, he bought a Dubai - US ticket.

Guess which one EK cancelled?

So, they must have some process that detects this.

Thus, it may be work buying a DXB-DOH return that would arrive back to DXB before your flight to the US. But, if you didn't use it, maybe the EK process would also pick up on that?
Yes - if there is an impossible scenario, then EK will cancel one (or both!) of the tickets.

If you got a DXB-DOH return, the DOH flight would have to arrive within the MCT of the onward ex-DXB flight - however, when you come to cancel the flight on the phone, the call center must contact the dispatcher to have the passenger offloaded from that flight (as they will have been checked in at this point).

He certainly isn't the only person who buys a throwaway ticket to use the lounge - EK don't generally care the first time, but someone who does it regularly is certainly picked up (especially as they sometimes put their Skywards numbers in!).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
As m3red pointed out earlier, any one-way EK ticket in F ex DXB - even on the shortest of sectors - will not come cheap, so it could prove to be a pretty high price to pay for the privilege (or, from my perspective, the sheer boredom !) of sitting in a lounge for a whole day. And if the idea is to max out on free food & drink ...... well of course it's hardly free if you've had to shell out several hundred dollars on a 'throwaway ticket'.....

All this assumes that the cunning plan is not actually derailed as a result of EK's systems detecting the conflict of bookings.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by subject2load
As m3red pointed out earlier, any one-way EK ticket in F ex DXB - even on the shortest of sectors - will not come cheap, so it could prove to be a pretty high price to pay for the privilege (or, from my perspective, the sheer boredom !) of sitting in a lounge for a whole day. And if the idea is to max out on free food & drink ...... well of course it's hardly free if you've had to shell out several hundred dollars on a 'throwaway ticket'.....
Indeed... you could use the money to have a nice meal or two, along with lots of booze! It would still work out less that the cost of a throwaway flight.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Data Point -- DXB Access

Here's my data point...
September 2016
DXB to DFW First Class
Got my boarding pass ~18 hours before the flight, at the airport...hoping to enjoy my DXB vacation.

HOWEVER, I was denied access airside until either:
1. 8 hours before the scheduled flight time
or
2. I had a reservation at the airport hotel.
I immediately booked a hotel room and was granted access airside.
Had a great time. The "A" first class lounge is incredibly gorgeous.

Thank you all who provided me insight.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:10 am

Okay .....so just by way of clarification ...... you really did spend the entirety of your time in Dubai (ie the equivalent of almost a whole day ...?) at the EK lounge, in preference to seeing something of the city itself ??

Or did you in fact make use of the bed at your airside hotel, having booked a room there....? Hopefully you did !

If the former, I think you deserve a medal

Nice as the F lounge is, I know for sure I would have had enough after around three hours or so. I always like to be out 'seeing/doing stuff' whenever I can, We're all different I guess.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Okay .....so just by way of clarification ...... you really did spend the entirety of your time in Dubai (ie the equivalent of almost a whole day ...?) at the EK lounge, in preference to seeing something of the city itself ??

Or did you in fact make use of the bed at your airside hotel, having booked a room there....? Hopefully you did !

If the former, I think you deserve a medal

Nice as the F lounge is, I know for sure I would have had enough after around three hours or so. I always like to be out 'seeing/doing stuff' whenever I can, We're all different I guess.
I had ~3.5 days in Dubai, so I did do some touristy things in the city itself. Then spent the ~18 hours in the airport, including napping in the hotel room. Visited all 3 F lounges at least twice, and one of the C lounges. Walked ~9.5 miles airside and climbed 624 stairs.

Looking forward to February...22 hour layover inside HKG, and looking at 34hrs inside SIN, 12 hours inside BKK.

Last edited by AAJetMan; Sep 5, 2016 at 5:48 pm
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:32 am

Thanks for getting back ^

Your Dubai visit does sound more 'balanced' given that you actually had some quality time in the city ; but there's no way on earth I could spend 18 hours at any airport by choice.

Your proposed schedule for HKG & SIN layovers is the stuff of nightmares for me, and would drive me absolutely stir-crazy. But I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I had ~3.5 days in Dubai, so I did do some touristy things in the city itself. Then spent the ~18 hours in the airport, including napping in the hotel room. Visited all 3 FC lounges at least once, and one of the C lounges. Walked ~9.5 miles airside and climbed 624 stairs.

Looking forward to February...22 hour layover inside HKG, and looking at 34hrs inside SIN.
sounds like my kind of schedule! I've been wanting to plan a long layover at DXB to go sit in the lounge and work from there for a day. Fully serviced office.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:46 am

You guys should hook up
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I had ~3.5 days in Dubai, so I did do some touristy things in the city itself. Then spent the ~18 hours in the airport, including napping in the hotel room. Visited all 3 FC lounges at least once, and one of the C lounges. Walked ~9.5 miles airside and climbed 624 stairs.

Looking forward to February...22 hour layover inside HKG, and looking at 34hrs inside SIN.
m3red would be very interested to know which pokemon you can catch at each lounge.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
sounds like my kind of schedule! I've been wanting to plan a long layover at DXB to go sit in the lounge and work from there for a day. Fully serviced office.
As you may well be aware, there are some elegantly designed work areas, including some private rooms with a door and tables. Should be quite conducive to productivity. After the intense mental workout you can head to one of the lounge/reclined chairs in a quiet zone. Equipped with blanket and eye shades.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
A little late with this, but in Jan 2016 I was flying F DXB-IAH. Morning departure and my plan was just to stay out that night and head straight to the airport from the bars. Got to the airport around 11 PM and was able to check-in with no problem but then ran into a bit of a hitch trying to get airside through security.

The 2 agents (in EK uniforms) at security were unsure if I could be allowed in as it wasn't the same calendar day as my flight. After about 5-7 minutes and a supervisor showed up, they did let me through. Notably, the supervisor mentioned several times to the other 2 agents that I was flying F. Ultimately, I was finally let in without issue.

Will be doing more or less the same thing in a couple weeks, flying to JFK on a morning departure in J this time. Wondering if anyone has had recent experiences in 2017 trying to get airside/to the lounge in the evening before a morning departure. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Bringing up an old thread, but wondering a few things. DW and I have a EK F flight from MEL > DXB > FCO. We arrive at DXB at 13:00 and then will not depart until 9:10 the following day. A 20 hour layover, all on same ticket. Not knowing how lounges typically work, can we access the F lounge on arrival, as it is a connection under T-24, for a couple of hours then go see the city for a few hours, and then re-enter DXB airside to access the F lounge again. I guess the question is, can you come and go between lounges as much as you'd like while on a connection? Ideally I'd like to get out of the airport and do a small amount of sightseeing, but then we will be planning on overnighting in the EK 1st lounge. Wondering if anyone might have some insight. Thanks!!

And yes, I do realize most of you will think we are nuts / wrong for overnighting in the lounge, and I am perfectly ok with that label ; - >
jackal likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Bringing up an old thread, but wondering a few things. DW and I have a EK F flight from MEL > DXB > FCO. We arrive at DXB at 13:00 and then will not depart until 9:10 the following day. A 20 hour layover, all on same ticket. Not knowing how lounges typically work, can we access the F lounge on arrival, as it is a connection under T-24, for a couple of hours then go see the city for a few hours, and then re-enter DXB airside to access the F lounge again. I guess the question is, can you come and go between lounges as much as you'd like while on a connection? Ideally I'd like to get out of the airport and do a small amount of sightseeing, but then we will be planning on overnighting in the EK 1st lounge. Wondering if anyone might have some insight. Thanks!!

And yes, I do realize most of you will think we are nuts / wrong for overnighting in the lounge, and I am perfectly ok with that label ; - >
Yes.I've overnighted many many times in lounge.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tpsmith82

This has been answered many times before...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.