Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MRobson
As promised quite sometime ago I have returned to flyertalk.
Thanks, I've been holding my breath after your first 2 posts

Thanks for the links.

As for my "cozying", could you please provide something to back that up, or remove the allegation? I've never had anything to do with PCS other than highlighting to them the allegations on here - and asking them to respond.

Maybe you could also state if you have any involvement with the Licensed Transport Uncovered website?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Unfortunately, chauffeur drive is not available for AS reward flights or indeed any partner redemptions apart from QF, see the Terms and Conditions here, point 4:

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...onditions.aspx
Has anyone had any luck getting a chauffeur (perhaps mid-trip) on a reward ticket?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Has anyone had any luck getting a chauffeur (perhaps mid-trip) on a reward ticket?
They are available on EK Skywards reward tickets subject to the usual restrictions for revenue flights (either straight out redemptions, or upgrades using miles that aren't via a special offer or instant upgrade on board/airport).
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Thanks, I've been holding my breath after your first 2 posts

Thanks for the links.

As for my "cozying", could you please provide something to back that up, or remove the allegation? I've never had anything to do with PCS other than highlighting to them the allegations on here - and asking them to respond.

Maybe you could also state if you have any involvement with the Licensed Transport Uncovered website?
The cozying reference was as you alluded to, when you alerted PCS did you get a second unbiased opinion on their licemsing status as you were urged to do?

I have no affinity with any of the several websites that are reporting on the forthcoming court case.

Nor I am involved with any of the multi agencies involved in the Solihull investigation.
Issue - items at meetings - MULTI-AGENCY INVESTIGATION INTO PCS EVENTS LTD

Last edited by MRobson; Oct 5, 2015 at 6:19 am Reason: browser crashed
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:30 am

Hi new to the forum and a regular flyer and I wanted to raise a question on airlines and their 'complimentary' chauffeur services.

The idea behind offering businesses and first passengers the use of a chauffeur service saves time and hassle organising transportation in different countries, but is it value for money?

My wife and I opted out of the chauffeur service for a private trip to Dubai and were surprised we saved nearly £1,500 in total. Considering we were both leaving from the same address I can only conclude we would have been charged for two separate transfers. Obviously the service isn't free and an airline may add their bit on top, but when you consider we only spent £250 on transfers it raises the question on value for money.

Finally, I mentioned this to the company I work for and they are looking at considerable saving per annum opting out of the chauffeur service. Don't get me wrong I'm not tight-fisted, I just want value for money.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Departure Lounge
Hi new to the forum and a regular flyer and I wanted to raise a question on airlines and their 'complimentary' chauffeur services.

The idea behind offering businesses and first passengers the use of a chauffeur service saves time and hassle organising transportation in different countries, but is it value for money?

My wife and I opted out of the chauffeur service for a private trip to Dubai and were surprised we saved nearly £1,500 in total. Considering we were both leaving from the same address I can only conclude we would have been charged for two separate transfers. Obviously the service isn't free and an airline may add their bit on top, but when you consider we only spent £250 on transfers it raises the question on value for money.

Finally, I mentioned this to the company I work for and they are looking at considerable saving per annum opting out of the chauffeur service. Don't get me wrong I'm not tight-fisted, I just want value for money.
Welcome to FT!

Could you clarify what you mean by opting out of the chauffeur service? Did you simply decline to take advantage of the offer and then EK gave you a discount on your fare?

I have never seen EK offer a discount for not using the chauffeur but if as you say they do it, then I may also take advantage of this!

Of course corporate negotiated fares would be a different matter where I am sure they would look into that kind of thing.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MRobson
The cozying reference was as you alluded to, when you alerted PCS did you get a second unbiased opinion on their licemsing status as you were urged to do?
Urged?

Repeatedly PMd by somebody I've never heard of ain't going to make me do anything.

You now also seem again to be accusing PCS of having a licencing issue. That's what got your thread deleted last time.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Welcome to FT!

Could you clarify what you mean by opting out of the chauffeur service? Did you simply decline to take advantage of the offer and then EK gave you a discount on your fare?

I have never seen EK offer a discount for not using the chauffeur but if as you say they do it, then I may also take advantage of this!

Of course corporate negotiated fares would be a different matter where I am sure they would look into that kind of thing.
Thanks for the welcome Eternaltransit. It was a friend of mine who works in a travel agent who first told me. In fact they have now started offering discounts on business and first class travel and throw in the chauffeur service with another airline a well. They obviously pay for the transfers but can cover the costs and still offer a discount because of the cost element add by airlines for the chauffeur service.

It is always worth asking what the cost would be if no chauffeur service was taken as the savings add up which could be of minimum of £500 per return business or even more 1st as the conditions are different.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome Eternaltransit. It was a friend of mine who works in a travel agent who first told me. In fact they have now started offering discounts on business and first class travel and throw in the chauffeur service with another airline a well. They obviously pay for the transfers but can cover the costs and still offer a discount because of the cost element add by airlines for the chauffeur service.

It is always worth asking what the cost would be if no chauffeur service was taken as the savings add up which could be of minimum of £500 per return business or even more 1st as the conditions are different.
Interesting information, thanks!

For clarity's sake, I get the impression that you're talking about tickets purchased through travel agents, and it seems that the travel agent can negotiate fares with EK between themselves that don't include chauffeur drive - and then pass on the savings to customers (or sometimes arrange their own transportation for their clients on other airlines - always the mark of a decent travel agent).

Unfortunately I think if one were to approach EK directly about getting a discount by not taking chauffeur drive, one would receive a "computer says no" response!

Another reason why travel agents retain relevance in the age of the internet and direct sales!

I think you'll have to be more specific about the figure of "£500" for business as to exactly what itinerary that would be on, and what conditions are attached: for some (popular) routes, that equates to over 25% of the price of the ticket, and I find it extremely hard to believe that an airline would offer 25% off just for opting out of 50-100GBP worth of transportation!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I'm still not sure that we have the full picture here.

I could be very wrong, but after two readings of these posts by Departure Lounge, my own take on this is that the 'saving' has come about not due to some sort of specially-negotiated deal with EK - but due to a decision to switch to lower-cost carriers which do not actually provide CD services at all. And then, as mentioned, the agent in some cases "throws in the chauffeur service" (presumably contracted directly with a suitable company).

I would be very surprised if - with all the collective knowledge/experience of the many EK regulars on the forum - we have somehow got this far without ever becoming aware or previously hearing of an arrangement with Emirates which a) specifically excludes the CD service for J/F tickets and b) then offers substantial discounts in return.

Our new member will hopefully clarify things !
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:14 pm

Eternaltransit is correct. Having just spoken to my friend again via email it seems that travel agents can obtain rates excluding the chauffeur service on airlines and then pass on the savings to passengers whilst still be able to pay for a chauffeur service themselves.

As for the comment on cost this is where it got difficult to pin down where this figure comes from. It seems this figure would be for two passengers leaving the same address and combining the savings. For example York to Manchester Airport may be a charge of £150 each way - £300 for 2 passengers - same theory at the other end.

I'm sorry if I've caused confusion. I suppose it could be compared to a non-flexible ticket which is a huge saving compared to a flexible one. In this case you lose the flexibility and it also removes the chauffeur service and therefore there has to be some savings to the passenger.

Finally, subject2load could be right if approaching the airline directly. In the world of the internet travel agents have to do something to attract customers. But then if you don't want to use Emirates Chauffeur service surely as the service isn't free you can't be charged for it?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:45 pm

But then if you don't want to use Emirates Chauffeur service surely as the service isn't free you can't be charged for it?
I think the airline's point of view is that you are paying an all-inclusive price for the possible benefits that are offered, whether you choose to use them is up to you. After all, a teetotal vegan could use that logic and demand a discount for not taking advantage of the premium F wines and food. Could a passenger ask for a refund for not taking advantage of the lounge, etc. etc.?

Chauffeur drive is though, an easier thing to separate out, I grant you - I would class it in the same way as airlines negotiating with large corporate buyers of travel agents for discounted fares that earn, for instance, no mileage at all.

EK is no stranger to the consolidator fare market, especially given the regions it operates in, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had the flexibility to do this kind of thing - but it doesn't seem to be well publicised.

When you mention airlines, does your friend have a list of airlines he/she is willing to divulge where travel agents can take advantage of this?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Departure Lounge - thanks for coming back with additional info/thoughts ^

I must say I am still somewhat puzzled by the whole scenario of what (on the face of it) are very significant savings to be made purely as a result of you having "opted out of the chauffeur service". I do wonder if we are comparing like with like where actual figures are concerned ....?

Can I please therefore try once again, this time by referring back to your own core comment :

"My wife and I opted out of the chauffeur service for a private trip to Dubai and were surprised we saved nearly £1500 in total"

It seems (?) from one of your other posts that you flew from MAN. So ..... using current fare levels quoted on EK's own website as a starting figure, a J class return MAN/DXB is approx £2.5k.

Some agents will sometimes be able to undercut EK's own fares to some degree (invariably as a result of being offered a short-term exclusive promotional rate by EK, or by negotiation based on sales volume, and/or by reducing their own margins) But this is the first time I've heard of savings at anything like the level you mention. In fact even a VERY high producer such as the Flight Centre is currently offering J class fares ex MAN at the very same figures as EK themselves.

Two things, just to be clear .....
a) you obviously have no obligation whatever to answer my question, and
b) I have no resentment at all regarding the savings you have made (good luck to you, I say !)

And my question is this : When you were booking your private trip to Dubai, did the conversation with your agent go along the lines of .....

"I can offer you a business class fare with Emirates (including all usual benefits) for *£2,500 per person ; OR I can offer you the same flight, also with Emirates - and with all the same T&C's & benefits EXCEPT the chauffeur service - for *£1,750 per person"

..... thereby making the saving of "nearly £1500" (for two) which you mention.......??

*The actual figures are in a sense irrelevant ; it's more the size of the gap between the two that are of interest.

Look forward to hearing back.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys if you have a confirmed chauffeur reservation are you able to call up a few days before and request a car ?

It says (on this thread) for MEL that the cars are Holden Caprice or BMW 7-series or Mercedes Viano but last time I got a Chrysler 300C and want to avoid a repeat of that.

Cheers
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Guys if you have a confirmed chauffeur reservation are you able to call up a few days before and request a car ?

It says (on this thread) for MEL that the cars are Holden Caprice or BMW 7-series or Mercedes Viano but last time I got a Chrysler 300C and want to avoid a repeat of that.

Cheers
Typically no - the chauffeur company only receives the passenger details around 1-2 days in advance. They will call you to confirm if it's a pickup and you can make a request there. If it's on arrival, you might be able to call in and ask them to make a note on the booking for you which may or may not passed onto the local station when they make the arrangements. However, you are more likely to get a special request this way if you are travelling in F/status pax!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.