Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Meaning ?
It would be expensive for EK to offer this service at KUL ?

Or do you mean as in EK do not get enough full revenue paying pax ex-KUL to think it worth offering it ?

If the former, I would have thought KUL is a cheaper city for pretty much everything compared to say SIN or HKG ?

Or am I off the ball completely ?

Cheers
Both reasons are part of the same story - EK has to pay hard cash to provide chauffeur service. They know their source markets to KUL and what types of tickets etc. are bought. They also know the cost of providing car service to pax in KL (and to a lesser extent, the kind of places where they think their passengers will go). The cost of car service may also include a political cost, i.e. the local airport and its operators attitude towards this and whether that would have any bearing on the decision.

It's not a question of revenue paying pax ex-KUL or whether KUL is in dollar terms, relatively cheap to provide the service, it's about whether the passenger profile of pax who use KUL gives you enough money to play with. If the profile is such that most of your passengers are on cheap 1800 EUR J fares, so 450 EUR a sector and that's before taxes etc., do you want to give up 5-10%* of your gross revenue on a car journey, considering that your overall margins are in the 5% range.

Then you also have to start thinking about - is any other competitor offering the service, do we need to do it to keep up, or are people happy with it as it is, or do most of the passengers already have a transport option? Are there any decent operators out there to provide the service anyway, who can support x jobs a day?

*probably a little exaggerated, but you get the point. I think it would cost EK around 15-20 EUR a trip on average.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Both reasons are part of the same story - EK has to pay hard cash to provide chauffeur service. They know their source markets to KUL and what types of tickets etc. are bought. They also know the cost of providing car service to pax in KL (and to a lesser extent, the kind of places where they think their passengers will go). The cost of car service may also include a political cost, i.e. the local airport and its operators attitude towards this and whether that would have any bearing on the decision.

It's not a question of revenue paying pax ex-KUL or whether KUL is in dollar terms, relatively cheap to provide the service, it's about whether the passenger profile of pax who use KUL gives you enough money to play with. If the profile is such that most of your passengers are on cheap 1800 EUR J fares, so 450 EUR a sector and that's before taxes etc., do you want to give up 5-10%* of your gross revenue on a car journey, considering that your overall margins are in the 5% range.

Then you also have to start thinking about - is any other competitor offering the service, do we need to do it to keep up, or are people happy with it as it is, or do most of the passengers already have a transport option? Are there any decent operators out there to provide the service anyway, who can support x jobs a day?

*probably a little exaggerated, but you get the point. I think it would cost EK around 15-20 EUR a trip on average.
Makes complete sense, thanks for taking the time to explain that. Appreciate it.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

I finally got my hands on the phone number for the EK Offices inside the airport.
I've updated some destinations, too lazy to do the rest today.
Will finish it tomorrow hopefully.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:07 am

Rome - late model E Class

Some notes:
Driver never said a word. He was waiting when I opened the gate and just grabbed my luggage.
I couldn't help but notice that the check engine light was flashing the whole time.
His driving became very aggressive (even by Italian standards) with a race with another black E class at the end of the trip reaching about 160km/h along the A91 to Fiumicino.
I was dropped at Terminal 3 despite the fact that since the fire at FCO, all check in for Emirates (and a whole lot of other airlines) has moved to Terminal 1.
All part of the Italian experience.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by goback
His driving became very aggressive (even by Italian standards) with a race with another black E class at the end of the trip reaching about 160km/h along the A91 to Fiumicino.
Great to hear that you came out of the car in 1 piece.

^
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Rome - late model E Class

Some notes:
Driver never said a word. He was waiting when I opened the gate and just grabbed my luggage.
I couldn't help but notice that the check engine light was flashing the whole time.
I was dropped at Terminal 3 despite the fact that since the fire at FCO, all check in for Emirates (and a whole lot of other airlines) has moved to Terminal 1.
My dad got back from MXP last month.

Same car, the 2015 facelift E-Class and an Audi A6 diesel estate.
Both drivers were averaging about 140-150 kph.

On a side note, most of the Volvo V70's in DXB have the Check Engine Light as well. I just arrived in DXB yesterday, the car that I got had the Check Engine light.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Smile

Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs
Mercedes Benz C-Class at MAA.

Also, Toyota Innova is available on request for more baggage space.
would the driver be waiting in arrivals? Gonna be using EK chauffeur for the first time, and thats in MAA.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by harishv79
would the driver be waiting in arrivals? Gonna be using EK chauffeur for the first time, and thats in MAA.
Yes, and holding a placard with your name on it. Give your cell number on the chauffeur drive booking and they might call you as well...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Yes, and holding a placard with your name on it. Give your cell number on the chauffeur drive booking and they might call you as well...
But they don't hold it right outside the arrival, but on the exit to car park.

To put it simple, when you exit from customs you will pass through the car rental counters, and when exiting the building itself, turn left, walk 10 steps and turn right which leads to car park. You will see a chaos out there, that's where they stop the people who come to receive passengers.. Emirates chauffeur driver will be a needle in the haystack. Good luck..!!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:14 am

Can anyone tell me how much per mile the extra is in the UK over the 70 miles from Heathrow please ?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:35 pm

Just used chauffeur service at MAA, both arrival and departure.
C class with uniformed chauffeur holding an Emirates placard with my name printed on it.
Come out of arrivals building past customs, turn left and walk about 50 feet and turn right towards the car park, look to the left barrier and you will see all the pick up people.
Car in decent condition and chauffeur very respectful.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beduffshirl
Can anyone tell me how much per mile the extra is in the UK over the 70 miles from Heathrow please ?
Call up EK on the call Center: +44 844 800 2777
OR
The EK Airport Office at LHR: +44 208 759 3303
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:07 am

Any idea where the chauffeur will be waiting on our arrival in Brisbane? And on return to Manchester T1.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: CX Green, BA, AF Gold, Skywards Platinum
New Zealand

Auckland and Christchurch - either Holden Statesman or Ford Fairlane run by Corporate Cabs (with roof sign removed!).
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Emirates
In Manchester there will be a group of drivers waiting just as you exit Arrivals. Someone with a clipboard will introduce you to your driver. You will find it difficult to miss them!

Last edited by missingmanager; Aug 5, 2015 at 9:28 am Reason: Predictive text error!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.