Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrading only one sector of a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

I am departing FRA this evening on EK48 (FRA-DXB) and then continuing onwards to Auckland on EK406 (DXB-MEL-AKL).

I wish to upgrade my last sector of travel (MEL-AKL) using miles, however I have been told by the EK ticketing desk at FRA that this is not possible, because the two sectors of EK406 have been booked "combined".

I previously made a thread here asking about this type of upgrade, and was told that it should be no problem.

I'm wondering if there is someone who has been in this situation before? Is there perhaps somewhere in DXB that could process this request? Otherwise I will have to try my luck doing the upgrade on the aircraft.

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:43 am

In my experience, this is not possible. However, I'm sure someone will be along soon to help out. Trying your luck on-board before departing Melbourne sounds like a good idea.

Good luck!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:34 am

done recently....
asked at dxb lounge..., pending availability ....
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisNZ
I wish to upgrade my last sector of travel (MEL-AKL) using miles, however I have been told by the EK ticketing desk at FRA that this is not possible, because the two sectors of EK406 have been booked "combined".
I don't think this should be an issue at all. You can do it yourself using manage your booking - login using your last name and PNR for the ticket. THen use the "Upgrade with miles" option - if there are upgrades available on the MEL-AKL sector and you have enough miles, you'll be able to process the upgrade yourself.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Markus, glad to hear that it is possible at the lounge. Hopefully they will let me do that despite not having lounge access.

The option to upgrade myself is greyed out. I'm not sure whether this is due to the ticket being a Saver fare, or because the ticket was booked through STA Travel.

When checking in for EK48, I asked the agent if there was anything he could do to process the upgrade. Unfortunately, he said that there wasn't.

Sounds like staff at DXB will be more helpful than FRA. I have a few hours to kill there, so I will ask around and update with the result.

At the moment, there are two D class fares showing on EF. Hopefully these hang around at least until I get to DXB. The seat map is showing as nearly empty for the J cabin, so hopefully that should increase my chances of an on-board upgrade if required.

Thanks everyone the help!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck at DXB. I asked at both business lounges and it seems clear that I won't be able to process the upgrade here. It seems there are two issues:

1) My flight is booked as DXB-AKL, not DXB-MEL-AKL, even though I make the stop in Australia anyway (My boarding pass just says depart Dubai arrive Auckland)

2) My ticket was booked through STA Travel as a student fare. One of the staff at the lounge desk said that this meant it was not eligible to be upgraded with miles. I doubt this, as I am still earning new miles from this ticket.

So, it seems like a successful outcome is becoming unlikely. Has anyone got any experience with doing an on-board upgrade using miles?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I don't think this should be an issue at all. You can do it yourself using manage your booking - login using your last name and PNR for the ticket. THen use the "Upgrade with miles" option - if there are upgrades available on the MEL-AKL sector and you have enough miles, you'll be able to process the upgrade yourself.
If booked as DXB-AKL , then MYB will only have the option to upgrade DXB-AKL since the booking doesn't have a separate DXB-MEL and MEL-AKL sectors in the itinerary

If it was booked as DXB-MEL-AKL ( if EK allows such bookings ) then upgrading MEL-AKL can be done as long as the ticket is upgradeable
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:12 pm

it won't be possible, same as you can't upgrade HKG to BKK or BKK to DXB for the HKG - (BKK) - DXB flight. You can only upgrade FRA - DXB and DXB - AKL
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:12 pm

You should be able to do it on board if there are seats available.

I've done it on the DXB-(BKK)-HKG route mentioned in the post above. You can only do the current sector this way, but as it's your final sector that's not an issue.

It was for me as I wanted to do right through from DXB-HKG but could only do it as far as BKK upon boarding at DXB.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
You should be able to do it on board if there are seats available.

I've done it on the DXB-(BKK)-HKG route mentioned in the post above. You can only do the current sector this way, but as it's your final sector that's not an issue.

It was for me as I wanted to do right through from DXB-HKG but could only do it as far as BKK upon boarding at DXB.
This turns out to be the correct policy.

I was able to get the upgrade on board, however I wasn't assigned a seat until the doors were closed.

Another thing to note - I was also able to get lounge access in MEL. This might have been due to the very light loads in J for MEL-AKL and the almost certainty that there would be spare seats allowing me to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.