Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Compensation for being offloaded in DXB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, BA, TG

Does anybody happen to know what the 'standard' compensation is for being offloaded in DXB on a flight to Europe? I imagine there will be a lot of people being offloaded in the next few days due to flights being full in all classes at the end of Easter holidays...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More details would help.
From which city to which city? Class of ticket?
Google the Eu rules for flight compensation
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
More details would help.
From which city to which city? Class of ticket?
Google the Eu rules for flight compensation
AS the OP is posting on the EK forum, it is reasonable to assume he/she is flying with them.

An EK flight to Europe will not be covered by the EU261 compensation rules.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
From the sound of it, I don't think the OP has actually been offloaded but just enquiring as to what compensation would apply if it did happen.

AFAIK (others may say otherwise) there are no 'standard' rules for flights out of DXB. (those EU regulations referenced only apply for flights originating WITHIN the EU, not going TO an EU country). And so any compensation would be assessed on the individual circumstances, including length of delay in onward travel, class booked etc etc

All that said, I am not convinced that there will necessarily be a spate of offloads just because of Easter. Airlines are generally pretty good at managing loads at known busy periods, and use historic trends to plan ahead. Likewise at Christmas when you actually hear of fewer offloads than at other 'normal' times - not least because most respectable carriers are conscious of the distress and bad publicity it can cause. Ironically, I think offloads are more likely when least expected - when, say, they just happen to get caught out by an unusually busy day.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
a free return flight in the same class of travel is the standard offering.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:10 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by m3red
Indeed. EK just rang a friend of mine who is over from London, they are supposed to fly out on EK29 tomorrow and were asked to volunteer to be re-booked on EK9 to LGW instead with a free ticket. They weren't sure though if the offer was for a one-way or a return nor of how they will actually collect the comp ticket voucher at the airport.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: EK Gold One World Silver Hilton Hertz
Originally Posted by Zol
Indeed. EK just rang a friend of mine who is over from London, they are supposed to fly out on EK29 tomorrow and were asked to volunteer to be re-booked on EK9 to LGW instead with a free ticket. They weren't sure though if the offer was for a one-way or a return nor of how they will actually collect the comp ticket voucher at the airport.
A while ago I was voluntarily offloaded when I was booked in F on BKK to DXB, and the operating aircraft was changed to two class. They offered me a seat in business on that flight, but in exchange for me agreeing to wait for 4 hours for the next service in F, they gave me a room at the Novotel with dinner, and a free return ticket in F for UK to BKK, valid for 1 year. They also sorted the connection in DXB. It sounded too good to be true, but worked fine although as I recall the free flights had to be booked in the reward category. The voucher was issued in BKK.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by m3red
Is that free including or excluding taxes / fees?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by go_around
Is that free including or excluding taxes / fees?
I believe it is all inclusive.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
I believe it is all inclusive.
It's is, not even ek would try that on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.