Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

My first Emirates flight and 1st A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Emirates Skywards

Hi FT members,
I have just booked the first A380 flight for my wife and I and am looking for some information as to what is in store - hoping the knowledge of others will assist in getting us prepared.
We have booked QF domestic y, ADL - SYD in late April, staying o/night in Syd near the airport - then on the 7.50am EK412 to Auckland in J (Business)

Please accept my apology for not knowing fully all the "correct wording" for flight categories etc as I am totally new to all this. We have flown overseas regularly but only with Qantas and once with Cathay - always in economy (y)
Trips have been to Singapore and HK which we love as destinations.

We are spending 7 days in Auckland at The Crowne Plaza - Club level.

Then we return on EK407 departing at 19.50 going to Melbourne in First (F)
We picked this route to get more time in First.

Then back to little old Adelaide in economy after 1 night in Melb.

As we have both never been on an A380 - and especially in business or first - on Emirates - we are looking forward to this trip with much anticipation and excitement (it is actually a belated honeymoon)

We would really appreciate some hints, tips and guidance as to what to expect and what is served with both food and beverage, lounges, express passes etc. As this is a short haul international (all we could afford to experience the class of air travel) - does it vary much from Long Haul experientially?

I am grateful to anyone who can assist and look forward to gaining a better understanding as to what we should and shouldn't do, what to expect and what we should do to maximise our experience.

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Sorry - nearly forgot

Seats are EK412 - 9E, 9F Syd - Auckland
EK407 - 2E,2F Auckland - Melb

Hope these are OK?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:49 am

Hi Scadman

I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to advise you but I'm on the A380 Mel - AKL on 6 April and am in first, we have booked 1 & 2 K as it's such a short flight we don;t need to sit next to each other but would like to see out of the window. We are going to have a shower and from what I've read you need to book this as soon as you board the plane.

We are then flying AKL - DXB via MEL in business on the way back, I have flown business on A380 and loved it, the seats are great and the bar is cool, for a 3 hour flight you'll probably spend a bit of time at the bar.

I think the main difference from long haul is that you won't have chauffeur drive, apart from that the experience is exactly the same minus the jet lag.

If I get chance I'll post a review of my whole trip, if not feel free to PM me after 16 April.

Jo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I would go for 2 and 3 A or K but then I like looking out of the window. In First 1A and 1K are minus a window and right beside the curtain to the shower spas. The meal in first is basically the business meal but not a lot wrong with that. I have always been on the long haul to or from Dubai and would say that in my experience the Trans Tasman leg is more relaxed which I enjoy. It also tends to be quieter which means getting closer to the bar. Haven't seen the little F bar at the top of the stairs set up on this leg, instead it is a water feature. The lounges are very pleasant with a good range of food. AKL can be a little crowded with the three flights to Dubai all leaving within a short timespan.

I will be having my first experience on A380 Business in March flying AKL/SYD/AKL to burn up some miles, maybe I will get a taste for it and same some money on my 2014 trip! I am sure that you will enjoy your EK Experience.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

first time

Hi Jodieh12 & albaonthego

Jodieh - great to hear you are also looking forward to the flight as we are.
It sounds like it will be a memorable experience. We are also going to book the shower as it is part of the "bucket list". We apparently get the Chauffeur service from Auckland and then in Melb with the first class leg.

albaonthego - isn't the meal service a bit different when in first class - with "eat when you want" etc. as this was another reason to spend the extra money?

I look forward to hearing more from the many more experienced travellers than myself - and gaining a true undertsanding of the overall experience.

PS - I hear they even serve Dom which my wife will enjoy

Thanks again as my appetite is being whet and excitement is growing.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
Your row 2E/F seats on the AKL-MEL leg will be fine, perfect for couples. You'll be asked when you are settled in what time you'd like to take a shower, you won't need to be prompted. You can have food and drink as and when you want, just tell them and they'll oblige.

As has been said previously, take advantage of the bar at the back of business class, I'd do that on your outward leg so that you maximise time on the way back.

I once spent 9hrs at the bar on a DXB-SYD leg, brilliant stuff!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

getting very excited

Hi Groobs

Thanks for the info - appreciated

Would love to spend 9 hrs at the bar - hopefully one day we can achieve this.

Great to hear about the food and shower - it sounds amazing!

Do the crew treat this short haul differently - or is the level of service maintained?

Cheers
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Scadman
isn't the meal service a bit different when in first class - with "eat when you want" etc. as this was another reason to spend the extra money?

PS - I hear they even serve Dom which my wife will enjoy
The dine on demand from my experience is only on long haul flights. As AKL-MEL is only about 3.5 hours, you don't have THAT much time. I'm sure the crew would be okay with serving the meal after your shower, but it's not the same as on a long haul flight. I think what albaonthego means is that the food that is served is almost the same in both J and F.
And yes, they do serve Dom.
Enjoy the flights!

-ek202
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:04 pm
formerly danblar

Originally Posted by Scadman

Do the crew treat this short haul differently - or is the level of service maintained?
Nope, if anything, better, since the crew are ultra energetic on these short-haul flights. Although I do notice that meal service is a bit rushed, not that I'm complaining - it allows for more flexibility and will allow you to enjoy other luxuries onboard, i.e. shower spa & lounge bar.

You will enjoy it! Have an awesome flight.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Great feedback

Hi Emirates202 & danblar

Really appreciate the feedback and experience. Great to hear the crew may be more enthusiastic as it is short haul.

Emirates seem to have a great reputation for their meals and service and the cost for the flights are pretty reasonable compared to the other carriers on this route. (particularly considering the class of travel)

I am actually a nervous flyer so am hoping it is smooth flying while the experience dulls the nerves.
Do we get amenity kits or any memorabilia to remember the flight by?

I have seen menu examples on the www and belive it may be a 4 course menu for the flights.

Do we get priority at immigration with express passes both ways?

Please keep up the responses as this is a great forum and my new source of info.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I previously posted menus from Feb 2012 on DXB/SYD/AKL for both F and J at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ection-70.html these include the SYD/AKL sector. It isn't dine on demand but I am sure that there will be no problem timing your meal around your shower slot. No amenity kit on this sector. While I commented that I found this leg of my flights more relaxed I would agree with danblar that this allows the crew more time to be ultra attentive. I also have a short video on the A380 YouTube at http://youtu.be/QQITKhelouw which you might find of interest.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Oh wow - amazing

Hi albaonthego

Thanks so much - the menu looks great - albeit slightly reduced.

Bit worried about the turbulence factor but I AM SURE THAT I CAN GET OVER THIS FEAR!!!

I will have to save some "food room" after the Emirates Club Lounge - something we have also been told is very good and something to savour. Are the lounges OK that we can access?

Thanks again for the menu and video - awesome^
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:54 am

A380 is a great experience, and I'm pretty sure you'll not even notice that you are flying when sitting in the F cabin drinking Dom. It is very quiet there, even during takeoff.

Have a GREAT time!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

starting to realise we are actually on A380

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for the interest and feedback and hi nimenime

Both my wife and I really appreciate the info and experience provided.

Is it possible to get an idea on the 2 lounges we can visit and what timeframe boarding etc takes?

Fantastic stuff
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
Hi Scadman

AKL lounge has been revamped recently and has a great staff

I always enjoy my time there !

The Trans-Tasman flights are very good - especially in F.

Main reason being the Crew enjoys the Short hop so if the cabin is not full you will have a blast !

Depending on the cabin load , you may want to ask about the Shower Time Slots to get your preference.

You can do this whilst enjoying your Welcome Drink of Dom

If you're interested you can have a read of some Trip Reports (TRs) to see what you can expect

Cheers,

Last edited by EK_Flyer; Jan 31, 2013 at 1:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.