Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Operational Upgrade experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Greglem this thread is for reporting Op Up experiences and not for asking questions but The flight looks wide open at the moment on Expert Flyer and there are upgrade seats available in Business class so if you have an economy ticket that is capable of upgrade prior to check in you can currently upgrade for 25,000 miles through Manage My Booking on the EK website immediately.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Upgrade given: Y-J

Upgrade location: Boarding Gate

Route: DXB-BOM

Flight number: EK 500

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 03 Nov 2014

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles: 61k

Skywards miles balance: 78k

Number of pax on the same PNR: 1

First letter of your surname: L

Last edited by Greglem; Nov 4, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Greglem
Route: DXB-MUM

Flight number: EK 500
Route: DXB-BOM
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Red
Upgrade given: J - F

Upgrade location: Lounge

Route: HYD - DXB

Date of travel: 14-Nov-2014

Tier status: Blue

Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Polk
Upgrade given: J - F

Upgrade location: Lounge

Route: HYD - DXB

Date of travel: 14-Nov-2014

Wow! didn't know HYD was such a status light route.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:36 pm

The days of mere golds getting op-upped seem to be over. Out of my last 6 sectors, zero, compared (a couple of years ago and before) when I had something like a 60% success rate.

Since the introduction of platinum, it's dried up completely, I had hoped for one this week on my second sector, DXB-KUL, as I'd received the would I like to spend some miles on an upgrade, AND had no seat allocation at check in, but no, still in J, on an old 777 with very worn out interior, old ICE and people complaining everywhere about things not working.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:05 am

I think also there are more and more Gold members, more travellers prefering to fly with EK now.
So difficult to give op-up to each of them.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by tezzer
The days of mere golds getting op-upped seem to be over.
Guess its time to fly to HYD...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Greglem
I think also there are more and more Gold members, more travellers prefering to fly with EK now.
So difficult to give op-up to each of them.
thats why there is a system....
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by tezzer
The days of mere golds getting op-upped seem to be over. Out of my last 6 sectors, zero, compared (a couple of years ago and before) when I had something like a 60% success rate.

Since the introduction of platinum, it's dried up completely, I had hoped for one this week on my second sector, DXB-KUL, as I'd received the would I like to spend some miles on an upgrade, AND had no seat allocation at check in, but no, still in J, on an old 777 with very worn out interior, old ICE and people complaining everywhere about things not working.
Without wanting to take the thread too OT - I assume you received an upgrade email; perhaps EK revenue managers have finally learnt that no one who was Gold or Platinum ever paid cash for the upgrade offers and ended up getting upgraded anyway and so have targeted those offers at people who they have research of actually spending cash on them (damn you big data!)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: IHG Priority Club, BA Exec Club, KLM Flying Blue
Upgrade given: Y-J

Upgrade location: At gate

Route: DXB - BKK

Flight number: EK 376

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 06-Nov-2014

Tier miles: ~11k

Skywards miles balance: ~27k

Number of pax on the same PNR: 2

First letter of your surname: A
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:33 pm

Nov 17
BRU - DXB
At Gate
Several passengers were called by name. Probably Y->J and J->F
EK ground pursuer arrived at gate with new BP in hands.
Only people with Flemish names were called to show up at gate.
Brussels airport being in the Flemish part of Belgium, no chance for French speaking Belgian people to get an op-up, despite their Ek status?
Has someone experienced the same in other airports outside UAE: preference given to local people?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:35 pm

Had an op-up Y(saver)-J, JFK-DXB. F wasn't full so went ahead and asked the purser if I could use miles to upgrade to F. She said I can't since I'd already been upgraded but I told her that it was possible. She brought me her 'rule book' which had language like "It is not advisable to upgrade revenue passengers to First Class who have been upgraded to Business Class." Would be interesting to hear if anyone still managed an upgrade to F after an op-up to J.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: e.g. BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK373

Type of ticket: Very cheap QF ticket

Date of travel: 23/11/14

Tier status: non-status QF

Tier miles to date: 0

Skywards miles balance: 0

Number of pax on the same PNR: Single

Skywards DOJ (approx): n/a

And of course the first letter of your surname! C

I can't help but feel I did pretty well to get an upgrade given my stats! I tried to pay for an upgrade to J at the transit check in desk, but was told that I couldn't as it was a QF ticket (seems like there is no such thing as "airport control" of a ticket? On BA, within 24 hours, BA can do whatever they want with the ticket, even if it was issued by someone else)...perhaps this improved my opup chances? It was certainly very nice to get to see the EK A380 upstairs! ^ Being just 4 flights into my EK experiences, and first time in J, I must say it wasn't quite a good as QR, whom i've flown with a lot. I do prefer the EK J beds though.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by shefgab
Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: e.g. BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK373

Type of ticket: Very cheap QF ticket

Date of travel: 23/11/14

Tier status: non-status QF

Tier miles to date: 0

Skywards miles balance: 0

Number of pax on the same PNR: Single

Skywards DOJ (approx): n/a

And of course the first letter of your surname! C

I can't help but feel I did pretty well to get an upgrade given my stats! I tried to pay for an upgrade to J at the transit check in desk, but was told that I couldn't as it was a QF ticket (seems like there is no such thing as "airport control" of a ticket? On BA, within 24 hours, BA can do whatever they want with the ticket, even if it was issued by someone else)...perhaps this improved my opup chances? It was certainly very nice to get to see the EK A380 upstairs! ^ Being just 4 flights into my EK experiences, and first time in J, I must say it wasn't quite a good as QR, whom i've flown with a lot. I do prefer the EK J beds though.
EK can take control of your ticket when at least 1 segment has been flown AFAIK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.