Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To the nearest hour....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by daisymay2
Yes and getting worse. I fly the A380 frequently MAN-DXB. Notorious for delays - someone said that on this thread...........
Yes, EK18 is almost always late! But not by an hour, the longest delay I have seen is 30-40mins.

Originally Posted by whimike
Is the problem the aircraft arriving late into MAN?
I've never been late flying INTO MAN, but always late flying OUT of MAN on EK17/18. If that would have any relevance.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by KU104
Yes, EK18 is almost always late! But not by an hour, the longest delay I have seen is 30-40mins.

I've never been late flying INTO MAN, but always late flying OUT of MAN on EK17/18. If that would have any relevance.
If the flight is not late arriving, what is the reason for the continual tardiness of flying out of MAN?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
If the flight is not late arriving, what is the reason for the continual tardiness of flying out of MAN?
It's a provincial airport. Probably have trouble doing turnaround of the big bird on time?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:07 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
I have been tracking the EK412 DXB to SYD.

I am flying there instead of BNE in three weeks time and wanted to make sure that my domestic connection was appropriately timed. My BNE flights have been early arriving but the 412 is regularly late arriving. I wont say consistently because I haven't tracked it that carefully BUT I will say seemingly more often than not. 50 minutes late this morning.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rathin100
It's a provincial airport. Probably have trouble doing turnaround of the big bird on time?
The turnaround time is 2 hours, which is pretty tight for a full A380. The incoming flight is often late as it departs in the main morning bank from DXB.

In my experience of this flight, there are often 10+ wheelchair passengers to sort out which adds time.

The average departure delay is 43 minutes. It then gets to Dubai at the busiest time, so probably also has to hold.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:06 am

No idea. However, the departure from DXB has been moved 25 mins earlier. Don't know whether this due to winter timing or a way to solve the delay, MAN departure time is the same.

I'm guessing that the delay is due to the gate being really far from the lounge and the announcements are always last minute, so that may play a role. Especially when the J and F are almost always full on this flight.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The turnaround time is 2 hours, which is pretty tight for a full A380. The incoming flight is often late as it departs in the main morning bank from DXB.

In my experience of this flight, there are often 10+ wheelchair passengers to sort out which adds time.

The average departure delay is 43 minutes. It then gets to Dubai at the busiest time, so probably also has to hold.
Thanks DYKWIA - thats spot on and explains my frequent delays on this flight. By the time I land in DXB its near on an hour behind schedule most times, and I usually have a tight connection. which I always just make -except for when we had the one off 5 hour delay in December.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by daisymay2
Thanks DYKWIA - thats spot on and explains my frequent delays on this flight. By the time I land in DXB its near on an hour behind schedule most times, and I usually have a tight connection. which I always just make -except for when we had the one off 5 hour delay in December.
one DXB MAN in late Dec was at least 3 hours delayed from DXB (tech issues) so its not just the positioning at MAN.

I think MAN do a good job at turning it round - I guess the boarding is a bit of a zoo and it takes ages...I've never left on time - pretty much always 45-60 mins late.

When I left DXB on 22 Dec it was over an hour late....
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
This seems highly improbable. You are saying most of your flights are 2x+ worse than EK's average?

If EK is at a 67% average of departure with a 20 minute delay, they are likely 80%+ within a delay up to 1 hour, just an interpolative conservative guess, probably more like 90%. But, your own experience is a less than a 50% record of a 1 hour delay?
The OTD gives a % of flights that have departed no later than 15mins delay of allocated block PB time.

The OTD figures given are daily and monthly. I am told (by my flight deck pals) that the OTD figure for 2012 was rarely ever above 70%.

Last edited by SimpleDXB; Jan 6, 2013 at 3:29 pm
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Post of the year! Precise fesponsive and factual!

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
The OTD gives a % of flights that have a MINIMUM of 15mins delay - or put another way, 33% of flights left on time (within 15 mins of allocated block PB time).

The OTD figures given are daily and monthly. I am told (by my flight deck pals) that the OTD figure for 2012 was rarely ever above 70%.
So, what you are saying is, in this quote: "Note their on time departure (OTD) figure for Dec is 63%.", it means:

63% of flights departed more than 15 minutes late? And 37% departed under 15 minutes late?

That appears opposite to what I would expect that figure to represent. I would think an OTD of 100% would mean a perfect record of departing on time.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
So, what you are saying is, in this quote: "Note their on time departure (OTD) figure for Dec is 63%.", it means:

63% of flights departed more than 15 minutes late? And 37% departed under 15 minutes late?

That appears opposite to what I would expect that figure to represent. I would think an OTD of 100% would mean a perfect record of departing on time.
Original post edited - apologies for confusion. The OTD figure is % of flights which have left within 15mins of block time. Still, this figure is significantly worse that many other carriers, and delays out of DXB tend to be the worst. I am convinced that EK leverage their position in DXB which other carriers can't do. If EK were consistently late at LHR for example, they would be fined and/or run risk of losing slots.

I note my experiences flying out of and into DXB with other Carriers (CX, SQ, QR, BA, VX, TQ etc etc etc) is much better than that of EK with less delays... I don't see how a new terminal is going to improve things for EK given there are still only 2 runways (which can't be used consecutively as they are 25m too close) and also same ATC...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.