The benefits of calling back

Old Dec 19, 12, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club

I recently wanted to use miles to upgrade from Economy to Business on a flight to London next week. Online, there are no seats available but as we all know, there are normally 2-3 seats reserved for Golds.

I called up the Gold desk and asked for a seat to be released.

"Sorry sir, there is no upgrade availability"
"Please could you release one of the seats reserved for Golds, I believe they are on every flight"
"Sorry sir, there is no availability"
"Even for gold seats?"
"Sorry sir, there is no such seat that is reserved for Golds, there is no availability"
"Please could you check with your supervisor?"
"Look sir, there is no availability, is there anything else I can help you with?"

Rather than waste time arguing (I knew I was up against some sort of robot), I hung up and tried again, with the exact same request.

"Of course sir, that's 32.5k miles we'll debit from your account, any seat preference?"

I do wish that standardised training would be given - we shouldn't have to keep calling back, to be dealt with by someone who actually knows what they are talking about!
Old Dec 19, 12, 1:45 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
I completely agree with your comments, it can be frustrating. However the fact that you got one straight away on the second try makes you wonder whether it might have been a coincidence that a seat opened up? You seem to indicate there was absolutely no hesitation from the agent's side to grant you the upgrade
Old Dec 19, 12, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by PPS1 View Post
I called up the Gold desk
How did you call the Gold desk?
Old Dec 19, 12, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Zol View Post
I completely agree with your comments, it can be frustrating. However the fact that you got one straight away on the second try makes you wonder whether it might have been a coincidence that a seat opened up? You seem to indicate there was absolutely no hesitation from the agent's side to grant you the upgrade
True, but the first agent did state that no such quota for Golds ever existed (which is completely false). Perhaps he was new or had been misinformed, but I've learnt (in part to this forum!) that arguing is a waste of time and best to just call back hoping for another agent.

Regarding the Gold desk, I put in my skywards number, pin and each person who answered, answered by "Thank you for calling the Gold desk". Could be coincidence as I've never had that before.
Old Dec 19, 12, 10:20 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,
I have tried 3 times in the last 2 days and all 3 agents said that the ''extra gold seats'' do not exist.

Perhaps one needs to really play the odds.
Old Dec 19, 12, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
How did you call the Gold desk?
Me thinks with a telephone.
Old Dec 19, 12, 2:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ayeaway View Post
Me thinks with a telephone.
Old Dec 20, 12, 1:27 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, EY Silver
You key in your skywards number and pin and the system recognises you are gold and I think puts you through to the gold desk? I always get 'thank you for coming through pin verified Mr K and for being gold member' Not sure if that is the gold desk though. Cant say if the level of service is any different if you dont key in a skywards number and connect to an agent. Might try it and see.
Old Dec 20, 12, 1:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by PPS1 View Post
Regarding the Gold desk, I put in my skywards number, pin and each person who answered, answered by "Thank you for calling the Gold desk". Could be coincidence as I've never had that before.
Yes, and using your pin sure does get them answering the phone quickly. On average I am on hold for less than 15 seconds.
Old Dec 20, 12, 1:55 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Newbie question... what would my PIN be? I don't recall ever seeing one, but the automated system asked for one recently when I phoned.

Ta!
Old Dec 20, 12, 2:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriot Rewards Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors, Etihad Guest Gold, SAA Voyager,

Log on to your skywards profile, on one of the drop down menu's you will find a link to set up/request your phone pin
Old Dec 20, 12, 3:01 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Joe_EK View Post
Log on to your skywards profile, on one of the drop down menu's you will find a link to set up/request your phone pin
Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: