Wiki Posts
Search

Confusing names of terminals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Confusing names of terminals

It used to be quite simple. There was the main terminal (T3) with the J lounge and the F lounge. Then T1 had the old J lounge (which was also, for a while, the "Silver" lounge). One does wonder about the existence of T2 but since nobody ever talks about that, I suppose one can forget about it.

Now things are quite confusing. There are now "Concourses" which have been paired with both alphabets and numbers! There are Concourses A/B/C and Concourses 1/2/3 (even a 4... I think)

Can a kind soul clarify the nomenclature?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is it really confusing?

Surely all that matters is knowing what gate a flight is departing from

If looking for a lounge knowing what gate it is near helps
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:06 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
It is simple.

Terminal 1 leads to Concourse C
Terminal 3 leads to Concourse A and B
Terminal 2 (which does exist) has no concourse - all remote stands
Concourse 4 is to be constructed
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: EK | DL | BA
Originally Posted by Zol
It is simple.

Concourse 4 is under construction
Old Nov 16, 2012, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zol
It is simple.

Maybe I am getting more stupid with age but I am still not clear on this...

So, is terminal 1 being renamed as Concourse C? Or are they two separate areas? From your second line it implies the latter (since obviously terminal 3 cannot be both Concourse A and B). Just double-checking...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:25 pm
Zol

Originally Posted by kulguy
Maybe I am getting more stupid with age but I am still not clear on this...

So, is terminal 1 being renamed as Concourse C? Or are they two separate areas? From your second line it implies the latter (since obviously terminal 3 cannot be both Concourse A and B). Just double-checking...
The terminals are the land side buildings were you enter/exit the airport and check-in for flights. The concourses are standalone structures (airside) where the aircraft dock or park and connect to the jet bridges. In some airports they are the same structure but in DXB they are not. The two are connect via underground tunnels.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is it really confusing?

Surely all that matters is knowing what gate a flight is departing from

If looking for a lounge knowing what gate it is near helps
Changing the name of all the terminals and gates is very confusing, if you had learnt the previous system. But typical Emirates/UAE, couldn't give a damn about the ordinary pax.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:31 am
Zol

Originally Posted by Budley
Changing the name of all the terminals and gates is very confusing, if you had learnt the previous system. But typical Emirates/UAE, couldn't give a damn about the ordinary pax.
Then which pax do they care about? You are always looking at things in a negative manner.

The change was instigated to have a uniform system which is future proof given the rapid expansion going on in DXB. Secondly, what is so confusing? Three concourses have been renamed from 1, 2, 3 to C, B, A. The terminals retain their numbers.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Zol
Then which pax do they care about? You are always looking at things in a negative manner.

The change was instigated to have a uniform system which is future proof given the rapid expansion going on in DXB. Secondly, what is so confusing? Three concourses have been renamed from 1, 2, 3 to C, B, A. The terminals retain their numbers.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:25 pm

Why not just build on the old naming system; what was wrong with that? It seemed to work fine. Now it just confuses me. I guess you would say I should've transitted DXB a lot less in the past.

Change for the sake of change is never a good thing (I am a retred IT manager so I should know about such things). Just as well that most pax transitting DXB do not visit DXB airport as much as I do.

And, BTW someone (me) has to be objective. We can't all be starry eyed, can we. You may call it negative. I call it realistic.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Budley
Why not just build on the old naming system; what was wrong with that? It seemed to work fine. Now it just confuses me. I guess you would say I should've transitted DXB a lot less in the past.

Change for the sake of change is never a good thing (I am a retred IT manager so I should know about such things).
I wouldn't call it change for the sake of change. I'd guess that having concourse 4 next to concourse 1 would have been confusing, so now's a good time to re-organise (before concourse 3/A opens).
Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems to be a storm in a teacup ; anyone who travels there frequently will v quickly catch on and those that don't will be unconcerned

That concourses have names different to terminals is not new; many airports have it ( e.g. T3 at ORD has concoursed G,H,K and L )

There seems to be reason behind what is going on and hardly a major thing imo
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Zol
The terminals are the land side buildings were you enter/exit the airport and check-in for flights. The concourses are standalone structures (airside) where the aircraft dock or park and connect to the jet bridges. In some airports they are the same structure but in DXB they are not. The two are connect via underground tunnels.
I think it is confusing that there is a Concourse A/B/C and now they are building a Concourse 4. Why not Concourse D? There doesn't seem to be consistency.

Also, I don't recall going through any underground tunnels from Terminal 3 to Concourse C. Isn't the underground tunnel limited to Terminal 1?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:59 am
Zol

Originally Posted by whimike
I think it is confusing that there is a Concourse A/B/C and now they are building a Concourse 4. Why not Concourse D? There doesn't seem to be consistency.

Also, I don't recall going through any underground tunnels from Terminal 3 to Concourse C. Isn't the underground tunnel limited to Terminal 1?
Well I think the reason its Concourse 4 and not D is that it was announced prior to the renaming. It would def. be renamed D as construction work progresses. There was also talk of making it a Terminal 4 with a separate check-in area but I am not sure if that will take.

Terminal 3 and concourses B/A are physically separated by an active taxiway. I know what you mean by there is no tunnel like T1, it is done quite cleverly. The road descends below ground as you approach the entrance to the terminal so you are already underground. You do the long walk from Chauffeur drive drop-off to immigration/security and up the escalator.

Last edited by Zol; Nov 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zol

Terminal 3 and concourse C are physically separated by an active taxiway. I know what you mean by there is no tunnel like T1, it is done quite cleverly. The road descends below ground as you approach the entrance to the terminal so you are already underground. You do the long walk from Chauffeur drive drop-off to immigration/security and up the escalator.
Did you not say Terminal 1 leads to Concourse C? What has Terminal 3 got to do with Concourse C?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.