Search

Implementation Process - 4th Tier

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:33 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Implementation Process - 4th Tier

It's no secret that the 4th tier is on its way. We were told as much during the Dubai Do. And last week's EK/QF announcement validated what we already knew. The only way EK can align Skywards with QFF is to introduce either Gold Elite or Platinum (or whatever else they may want to call it)

My question is how should EK award status, given that everyone has a different qualification period? For example, if they say the program is going to be announced/launched Jan 01, 2013, and assume the threshold is 125,000 tier miles, who will actually qualify on Jan 01?

In my case, it's easy because my qualification year runs Jan-Dec. But what about everyone else?

Obviously, they'll award to anyone who has already flown 125,000 prior to whatever the launch date is (ie if your year runs Aug to Jul) and you have already exceeded the limit, then thats obvious.

What if you flew greater than 125K in your previous year. Should that count?

Before you all start waving your ams, I have no inside knowledge of when the program will be launched, or what the qualification limit will be. I really dont...

This should give us something to argue about for the next few days at least...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:42 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
I think its easy. They already have a 13 months rolling qualification period. Look back 13 months from launch date and figure out who has qualified for it...

A bit unfair if you didn't know about it and could've flown more on EK but decided against due to non-incentives but how else would you structure it. You couldn't possibly give advanced notice
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
For example, if they say the program is going to be announced/launched Jan 01, 2013,
That would be a really long wait..Can't endure this alphabetical last name discrimination much longer....

Before you all start waving your ams, I have no inside knowledge of when the program will be launched, or what the qualification limit will be. I really dont...
really
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Zol
I think its easy. They already have a 13 months rolling qualification period. Look back 13 months from launch date and figure out who has qualified for it...
I agree. That would probably be the most natural way to do it...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:53 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jackiedada
That would be a really long wait..Can't endure this alphabetical last name discrimination much longer....
Who said that won't apply to the new tier as well
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:57 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Actually, if they were wanting to generate revenue between now and the end of the year, they should soft launch it sooner rather than later as you can bet there would be a certain % of Golds who would make an additional (or multiple) flights in order to qualify...

They could even target the campaign to existing Golds only.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Zol
Who said that won't apply to the new tier as well
but hopefully fewer blokes to "slug" it out with...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
To be a contrarian and in the knowledge that things coming out of left field are the norm here in the UAE perhaps they will make sure that it is fair for everyone by simply saying that we can all start to amass special "Super Tďer" points for the new tier going forward which will help guarantee its exclusivity (at least in the early days). That way it is fair for everyone - at least in EK's eyes. The regular tier points program will continue on unaffected and give access to Silver and Gold. A simple matter or programming and there it is done ...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:27 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
A simple matter or programming and there it is done ...
With airline IT systems, it's never a case of "a simple matter of programming, and there its done...".

But my wise friend, you do have a valid point. EK could well adopt what you describe. I reckon it would piss off a lot more people (me included) than its worth, but then again...

Keeping the current set of Golds happy (ie the ones who are demonstrating loyalty today) to me is far more important than creating some sort of level playing field from some date in the future.

And what about this scenario. If the QF/EK "marriage" receives its blessing from the regulators, and the alliance is launched 01 April, that means existing Golds might only have 3-months to qualify to the new level, meaning Qantas Plats, Platinum One's and Chairmans Lounge members will beat 99% of us.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
With airline IT systems, it's never a case of "a simple matter of programming, and there its done...".

But my wise friend, you do have a valid point. EK could well adopt what you describe. I reckon it would piss off a lot more people (me included) than its worth, but then again...

Keeping the current set of Golds happy (ie the ones who are demonstrating loyalty today) to me is far more important than creating some sort of level playing field from some date in the future.

And what about this scenario. If the QF/EK "marriage" receives its blessing from the regulators, and the alliance is launched 01 April, that means existing Golds might only have 3-months to qualify to the new level, meaning Qantas Plats, Platinum One's and Chairmans Lounge members will beat 99% of us.
I suspect that keeping us loyal travellers happy is not high on their priority list as I think that they believe that if we had a choice we would have already excercised it. Many if not most of their frequent flyers actually have little realistic choice but to use them particularly from some of their more exotic destinations. The financial benefits of the proposed alliance far outweigh keeping us lot happy.

You may be onto something with your logic vis Qantas Frequent Flyers getting the best end of the deal!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:59 am

I suspect that keeping us loyal travellers happy is not high on their priority list as I think that they believe that if we had a choice we would have already excercised it. Many if not most of their frequent flyers actually have little realistic choice but to use them particularly from some of their more exotic destinations.
But then why have a FF program in the first place?

Last edited by eightblack; Sep 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm Reason: quotation
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:06 pm

But then why have a FF program in the first place?
Having a programme is a pre-requisite for major airlines worldwide but taking super dooper care of a small bunch of ultra frequent flyers like ourselves is not necessarily necessary. I suspect some of us (myself included on occasion) believe that our business is worth more to EK than they do. I am probably in the minority with this view but nevertheless that is what I think. As someone who is fortunate enough to fly revenue F virtually all the time there is little that they can actually do for me without running the risk of actually losing some of my revenue - for example handing out upgrade certificates that are useable at time of booking would mean I would buy business class (but if they were not usable at the time of booking I would not take the chance and buy F anyway and would therefore be of no benefit to me).

Last edited by eightblack; Sep 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm Reason: quotation
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum, EK Gold
Having a programme is a pre-requisite for major airlines worldwide but taking super dooper care of a small bunch of ultra frequent flyers like ourselves is not necessarily necessary. I suspect some of us (myself included on occasion) believe that our business is worth more to EK than they do. I am probably in the minority with this view but nevertheless that is what I think. As someone who is fortunate enough to fly revenue F virtually all the time there is little that they can actually do for me without running the risk of actually losing some of my revenue - for example handing out upgrade certificates that are useable at time of booking would mean I would buy business class (but if they were not usable at the time of booking I would not take the chance and buy F anyway and would therefore be of no benefit to me).
IMHO, you make a lot of sense here. For the likes of myself with >200k tier miles per annum who flies different classes on different trips the platinum (assuming I would qualify) would be really handy just like gold is now. I'm not sure, though, what the platinum could bring other than an ego boost to make an actual difference over gold. Sure there wouldn't be chauffeur drive vouchers for economy (except maybe a token one for Dubai or some other airport where I never need one) or upgrade vouchers (except maybe a token one) and just can't think what else there could possibly be as a perk unless gold is somehow watered down.

The miles are nice but it's really the lounge access and those express arrival cards in MEL that make me stick to EK when flying economy. I wonder, though, if EK lost my business on those economy flights, which one would be worse off, myself or Emirates. I suspect that my view of my importance to EK is somewhat inflated and while they appreciate my business I don't think I'm worth going to a huge extreme to keep as a loyal customer. Besides, on my regular routes the options are QF and SQ so even if I wanted to jump ship, there isn't that much to jump to.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe
I suspect that my view of my importance to EK is somewhat inflated and while they appreciate my business I don't think I'm worth going to a huge extreme to keep as a loyal customer. Besides, on my regular routes the options are QF and SQ so even if I wanted to jump ship, there isn't that much to jump to.
Individually, you may not be worth much to EK, but there are lots with flying patterns similar to yours. So, we collectively as a group are worth a lot to EK and I doubt they would want to piss us off...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:42 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe
I wonder, though, if EK lost my business on those economy flights, which one would be worse off, myself or Emirates. I suspect that my view of my importance to EK is somewhat inflated and while they appreciate my business I don't think I'm worth going to a huge extreme to keep as a loyal customer. Besides, on my regular routes the options are QF and SQ so even if I wanted to jump ship, there isn't that much to jump to.
Individually, you may not be worth much to EK, but there are lots with flying patterns similar to yours. So, we collectively as a group is worth a lot to EK and I doubt they would want to piss us off...
One benefit to perhaps come out of all of this EK/QF wedding is that it will force EK to re-evaluate Skywards (or accelerate the reform which was supposedly already well under way). Personally, I think this is a good thing because the QF program is relatively advanced, versus Skywards. (ie Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Platinum One and Chairmans Lounge)

Dont believe for a second that a small group of committed individuals cant change the environment. The US airline industry has example after example where program rules have been changed as a result of some very vocal and loud objections from communities such as ours.

I have been fortunate this year to have spent most of my time up the front aboard EK so there isnt a whole lot more they can do for me product wise. But what I would like to see is:

- A truly dedicated phone number where I can speak to someone who understands the program and who is empowered to help me fix things then and there. I am tired of being routed to India, and having to repeat myself a million times over and over again
- Family guest passes (maybe 2 a year, that's all I need)
- better award inventory, or a dedicated amount of award seats for the 4th tier
- Highest priority on upgrades (in terms of using miles, and being added to an upgrade list)

All of these benefits I listed are available NOW to Qantas Platinum One members, so in a way, EK is going to have to at least meet or exceed these features.

We've just seen QF roll over and offer Chauffeur drive for all its own J&F passengers for flights more than 12-hours. So in a way, EK is going to be forced to deliver some (if not all) of these things if it is going to deliver on its commitment to the new partnership.

If it doesn't, why wouldn't a person simply switch to the QF program. Or to someone else altogether...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.