DPO-MEL-DXB-AMS return comments

Old Jul 6, 12, 12:40 am
  #1  
RB
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: DPO
Programs: QF NB
Posts: 134
DPO-MEL-DXB-AMS return comments

Just thought I'd post a few comments about my recent flight to AMS from DPO.

DPO-MEL rtn was with QFLink
MEL-DXB-AMS rtn was with EK

All flights Economy

Booking
Done by phone direct with EK, very pleasant and efficient experience
Full access to booking via the EK website afterwards allowing for the selection of seats etc.

Schedule
Prefer EK as opposed to SQ on this route. EK allows for an arrival into AMS in the early afternoon, whilst SQ is an early morning arrival into AMS. Prefer the afternoon arrival as it helps me with overcoming jet lag.
Return flight means that flying either SQ or EK I must overnight somewhere along the journey due to connection issues MEL-DPO.
Prefer EK again as I can overnight in DXB in sync with my body clock - AMS flight arrives into DXB at midnight. The 10 hour layover in DXB is just long enough.
Flying SQ I'd either overnight in SIN (17 hour transit...too long), or MEL - however then I find the SIN-MEL flight a killer!

Seating
All flights on EK were on the 77W. Personally don't mind the 10 across seating as was travelling with family. Aisles are noticeably narrower. But at 6'5" I had no trouble. Did notice that row 19 appears to have more leg room than row 27.

Overhead locker space is much more at a premium than SQ... not uncommon to have to store your bag several rows away from your seat.

Entertainment
Ice Digital Widescreen on the outbound flight MEL-DXB-AMS
Ice on inbound flight AMS-DXB-MEL

Having "old" ice on the DXB-MEL leg was a little disappointing, however the content was varied and interesting enough for my tastes

Food
Plenty of food and of good quality.
Drinks/Dinner/Snack/Breakfast on MEL-DXB leg
Breakfast/Drinks/Lunch on DXB-AMS leg
Drinks/Dinner on AMS-DBX leg
Drinks/Lunch/Snack/Breakfast on DXB-MEL leg

The amount of food offered on the DXB-AMS leg seemed disproportionate to the food offered on the AMS-DXB leg. Whilst I realise the return flight is a little shorter the "Drinks service before arrival" into DXB was disappointing. It consisted of a juice and water run on trays. It would be much better in my opinion to offer a full bar run... especially considering the volume of food you get on the DXB-AMS flight.

On the long haul leg between MEL-DXB-MEL I found that water/juice runs through the night were a bit sporadic. SQ beats EK here.

Cleanliness
Bathrooms kept spotless throughout the flights

Cabin Crew
Pleasant and professional... but then I am not a "demanding" passenger

Transit in DXB
The airport is just one really busy shopping mall... with the same shops you see in any other airport.
What I really don't like is the bus transfers - has happened in 3 of my last 4 transits through DXB.
Also I don't like passing through security on arrival - especially when flying in from AMS and having a 10 hour transit... having to clear security together with several A380 passenger loads cuts into sleep time. Thank goodness that the airport hotel has a "meet and greet" service and really helps you navigate the most efficient route to the hotel!

Overal
Overal I really enjoyed my EK flights. Especially their schedules, entertainment options and food met or exceeded my expectations.

The seating was comfortable enough for me and my fellow passengers. Anyway you look at it a trip to Europe from Australia is a long hellish experience in Y... even if you have an inch more width.

I'm looking forward to my next trip... this time the whole route will be on the A380
RB is offline  
Old Jul 6, 12, 1:02 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 479
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Food
Plenty of food and of good quality.
Drinks/Dinner/Snack/Breakfast on MEL-DXB leg
Breakfast/Drinks/Lunch on DXB-AMS leg
Drinks/Dinner on AMS-DBX leg
Drinks/Lunch/Snack/Breakfast on DXB-MEL leg

The amount of food offered on the DXB-AMS leg seemed disproportionate to the food offered on the AMS-DXB leg. Whilst I realise the return flight is a little shorter the "Drinks service before arrival" into DXB was disappointing. It consisted of a juice and water run on trays. It would be much better in my opinion to offer a full bar run... especially considering the volume of food you get on the DXB-AMS flight.
The food offer on morning flights from DXB to Europe = breakfast + lunch is more than you can expect on a 6-7 hour flight in Y.
On the return flights the promised "Drinks service before arrival" never happens. I don't think that the juice and water runs are the drink service passengers are expecting.
dusordua is offline  
Old Jul 6, 12, 4:42 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 421
Thanks for the interesting report. Which flight did you have between MEL-DXB and vice versa - via Singapore, via Kuala Lumpur or non-stop? Sorry if I should have picked that up in your report! In future, if you do the latter it is the A380. It's unusual to see someone travelling from Devonport (I'm a Melburnian living in Scotland).
OzTennis is offline  
Old Jul 10, 12, 2:34 am
  #4  
RB
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: DPO
Programs: QF NB
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by dusordua View Post
The food offer on morning flights from DXB to Europe = breakfast + lunch is more than you can expect on a 6-7 hour flight in Y.
On the return flights the promised "Drinks service before arrival" never happens. I don't think that the juice and water runs are the drink service passengers are expecting.
True... especially when you consider that MEL to SIN is of a similar length however only dinner and a small pie are offered.

OzTennis... this time I flew the non-stop in both directions. A few months ago I travelled on the MEL-SIN-DXB flight outbound and non-stop return. Even though the flight via SIN does take a bit longer it is my favoured option... however that will probably change once the A380 comes online!

I could also travel from Launceston instead of Devonport... but at $1 parking at DPO for 5 weeks versus $185 at Launceston... DPO wins
RB is offline  
Old Jul 10, 12, 6:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by RB View Post
True... especially when you consider that MEL to SIN is of a similar length however only dinner and a small pie are offered.

OzTennis... this time I flew the non-stop in both directions. A few months ago I travelled on the MEL-SIN-DXB flight outbound and non-stop return. Even though the flight via SIN does take a bit longer it is my favoured option... however that will probably change once the A380 comes online!

I could also travel from Launceston instead of Devonport... but at $1 parking at DPO for 5 weeks versus $185 at Launceston... DPO wins
We've done the flight via Singapore and non-stop countless times but it's only this year that the A380 non-stop has been available. We're like you, preferred the one stop in Singapore and use the EK lounge to the direct flight but now the A380 does the non-stop we think that will be better. That's a 'no-brainer' on Devonport vs Launceston for the car parking fees. Melbourne can be more like $185 for one day if you get in the wrong section! The flight via Kuala Lumpur seems to be an addition within the last year now there's 3 services a day between Dubai and Melbourne whereas it used to be 2. Happy travelling!
OzTennis is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: