FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DPO-MEL-DXB-AMS return comments
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:40 am
RB

Programs: QF NB
DPO-MEL-DXB-AMS return comments

Just thought I'd post a few comments about my recent flight to AMS from DPO.

DPO-MEL rtn was with QFLink
MEL-DXB-AMS rtn was with EK

All flights Economy

Booking
Done by phone direct with EK, very pleasant and efficient experience
Full access to booking via the EK website afterwards allowing for the selection of seats etc.

Schedule
Prefer EK as opposed to SQ on this route. EK allows for an arrival into AMS in the early afternoon, whilst SQ is an early morning arrival into AMS. Prefer the afternoon arrival as it helps me with overcoming jet lag.
Return flight means that flying either SQ or EK I must overnight somewhere along the journey due to connection issues MEL-DPO.
Prefer EK again as I can overnight in DXB in sync with my body clock - AMS flight arrives into DXB at midnight. The 10 hour layover in DXB is just long enough.
Flying SQ I'd either overnight in SIN (17 hour transit...too long), or MEL - however then I find the SIN-MEL flight a killer!

Seating
All flights on EK were on the 77W. Personally don't mind the 10 across seating as was travelling with family. Aisles are noticeably narrower. But at 6'5" I had no trouble. Did notice that row 19 appears to have more leg room than row 27.

Overhead locker space is much more at a premium than SQ... not uncommon to have to store your bag several rows away from your seat.

Entertainment
Ice Digital Widescreen on the outbound flight MEL-DXB-AMS
Ice on inbound flight AMS-DXB-MEL

Having "old" ice on the DXB-MEL leg was a little disappointing, however the content was varied and interesting enough for my tastes

Food
Plenty of food and of good quality.
Drinks/Dinner/Snack/Breakfast on MEL-DXB leg
Breakfast/Drinks/Lunch on DXB-AMS leg
Drinks/Dinner on AMS-DBX leg
Drinks/Lunch/Snack/Breakfast on DXB-MEL leg

The amount of food offered on the DXB-AMS leg seemed disproportionate to the food offered on the AMS-DXB leg. Whilst I realise the return flight is a little shorter the "Drinks service before arrival" into DXB was disappointing. It consisted of a juice and water run on trays. It would be much better in my opinion to offer a full bar run... especially considering the volume of food you get on the DXB-AMS flight.

On the long haul leg between MEL-DXB-MEL I found that water/juice runs through the night were a bit sporadic. SQ beats EK here.

Cleanliness
Bathrooms kept spotless throughout the flights

Cabin Crew
Pleasant and professional... but then I am not a "demanding" passenger

Transit in DXB
The airport is just one really busy shopping mall... with the same shops you see in any other airport.
What I really don't like is the bus transfers - has happened in 3 of my last 4 transits through DXB.
Also I don't like passing through security on arrival - especially when flying in from AMS and having a 10 hour transit... having to clear security together with several A380 passenger loads cuts into sleep time. Thank goodness that the airport hotel has a "meet and greet" service and really helps you navigate the most efficient route to the hotel!

Overal
Overal I really enjoyed my EK flights. Especially their schedules, entertainment options and food met or exceeded my expectations.

The seating was comfortable enough for me and my fellow passengers. Anyway you look at it a trip to Europe from Australia is a long hellish experience in Y... even if you have an inch more width.

I'm looking forward to my next trip... this time the whole route will be on the A380