Search

Emirates A380 J Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Question Emirates A380 J Class

Hello,

A380 DXB-JNB J Class

I have booked this flight through South African Airways (codeshare). However, upon seat selection (on SAA site), only rows 16-19 appear. Does this sound typical? Also, are there really any better seats anyways? It looks like pretty much all J seats are either overwing or in the back by the bar?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=a380+seat+map

Is that the flight with the 7 hour lay over in Lagos ?

Last edited by ballogie; Apr 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ballogie
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=a380+seat+map

Is that the flight with the 7 hour lay over in Lagos ?
Thanks but I know how to find a seat map and that doesn't really answer either of my questions.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
For my upcoming A380 to London biz runs from row 6-26

16-19 are towards the rear of the front cabin, overwing.

Get a window seat - they are all pretty similar although I didn't like row 23 A/K as there's a bulkhead right in front of you.

Service was very slow (last flight on A380 was last year) but may have improved. You'll probably be at the bar anyway.....
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Purdey
Get a window seat - they are all pretty similar although I didn't like row 23 A/K as there's a bulkhead right in front of you.
I'm quite the opposite - 23A/K are top of my list. Increased privacy with the bulkhead being there, and close to the bar but not too close that any noise is a problem.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I concur. I was in 23K yesterday (JFK-DBX) and it was like being in my own private little world. Great for getting some sleep and relaxation.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Purdey

Service was very slow (last flight on A380 was last year) but may have improved. You'll probably be at the bar anyway.....
They have improved the A380 J service since last year, but the atrociously-designed and uncomfortable hard product remains...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by ajca
They have improved the A380 J service since last year, but the atrociously-designed and uncomfortable hard product remains...
Can you expand? I've used all 3 classes on EK A380 (and will be in J again next week) and have been quite happy with what's on offer, but it's always good to hear what others think.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
In what way do you find the seat uncomfortable? It can perhaps feel narrow... but I'm a big enough guy and think it minor enough that the other features make up for that. I find the bed more stable and 'flat' than the 777. I have also been known to prop up the bar...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:47 am

I like the A380 J cabin better than the J classes on other aircrafts.
If travelling alone, the window seats give me top privacy. Together with my wife we prefer the two middle seats of course, which give us the feeling of a mini suite.
A visit to the bar is never a bad idea.
Very happy with the hard product...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:31 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
I'm like you dusordua, always been very happy with the J product on the A380. Got three legs booked on them in July too. It makes lengthy journeys a pleasure.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by groobs
I'm like you dusordua, always been very happy with the J product on the A380. Got three legs booked on them in July too. It makes lengthy journeys a pleasure.
Let me begin by acknowledging that this is an extremely first-world debate!

I found the whole Emirates J experience far below the standard of their SQ and even QF A380 competition. In particular, I thought the hard product needs to be completely rethought if EK are going to position themselves as a premium airline.

The seats are barely wider than Y seats, and seem just as hard. Maybe I just couldn't work it out (or had faulty seats) on 3 or 4 different sectors but they don't seem to go fully flat. Then there's the unmovable arm-rests on each side which make it even harder to stretch out laterally. The combination of these factors meant I found it very hard to sleep or even lie comfortably on my side.

There is also the claustrophobia-inducing feeling of sleeping in a small plastic container amongst a giant sea of plastic and fake wood panel. I think fundamentally they just tried to squeeze in too many J seats and as a result they compromised the product. Also the J cabin looks like it was designed by someone who flunked out of the Greyhound bus interior design school.

Combine this with other aspects - e.g. clearly stressed staff, slow meal service, the ridiculously overcrowded lounge with non-functioning wireless in DXB - and I can see why there are so many disappointed reviews of the EK A380 J experience online.

I guess a lot of my view is in the context of the SQ A380 J experience, which is a whole different world to EK - massive very comfortable seat that turns into a real bed, friendly staff, and efficient service. But maybe that is an unfair comparison.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:48 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador

I found the whole Emirates J experience far below the standard of their SQ and even QF A380 competition. In particular, I thought the hard product needs to be completely rethought if EK are going to position themselves as a premium airline.

The seats are barely wider than Y seats, and seem just as hard. Maybe I just couldn't work it out (or had faulty seats) on 3 or 4 different sectors but they don't seem to go fully flat. Then there's the unmovable arm-rests on each side which make it even harder to stretch out laterally. The combination of these factors meant I found it very hard to sleep or even lie comfortably on my side.

There is also the claustrophobia-inducing feeling of sleeping in a small plastic container amongst a giant sea of plastic and fake wood panel. I think fundamentally they just tried to squeeze in too many J seats and as a result they compromised the product. Also the J cabin looks like it was designed by someone who flunked out of the Greyhound bus interior design school.

Combine this with other aspects - e.g. clearly stressed staff, slow meal service, the ridiculously overcrowded lounge with non-functioning wireless in DXB - and I can see why there are so many disappointed reviews of the EK A380 J experience online.

I guess a lot of my view is in the context of the SQ A380 J experience, which is a whole different world to EK - massive very comfortable seat that turns into a real bed, friendly staff, and efficient service. But maybe that is an unfair comparison.
I can't say I disagree with you. I don't fly the A380 much, but have mixed feelings about the A380 J product. Like you, I don't like the design and I do think it's cramped. I would however say that the seats are fine to sleep on and will go 180-degrees (or should).

However, the bar is a great place to spend 2-3 hours (especially if you are in a group), and I enjoy the quiet ride.

Give me row 7 in J on a 777 any day...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was satisfied with the 380 J seat, certainly better then their 777-300ER J or 340-300 F seats that I had over the last two weeks. But I do agree that another 4-5 inches of width would make it much better.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 23, 2012 at 12:07 am
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:11 pm

Spot on!

The J seat on the A380 is much too narrow, I can hardly move when lying down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.