Emirates A380 J Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:44 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Spot on!

The J seat on the A380 is much too narrow, I can hardly move when lying down.
I would have to disagree, I find the A380 seat far more comfortable than the 777 to sleep in and am oversized !
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by khalid26
I would have to disagree, I find the A380 seat far more comfortable than the 777 to sleep in and am oversized !
If you're comparing to the Emirates 777 business class then sure.

But I think a more "apples with apples" product comparison would be with the SQ A380 (and 77W) business class - whose seats are 15.5" wider than EK's! Even QF's A380 business class has an extra 3" width which makes quite a difference.

My point is that Emirates isn't competing against different aircraft in its own fleet - it's competing against other airlines who IMHO have created a vastly superior A380 product.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Interestingly, looking at OP's question, Emirates doesn't show that it flies an A380 DXB-JNB.

I see press releases that they started service last October, and there is an A380 DBX-JNB details page in Google's cache that has a "back to A380 schedule" link that returns to the above page. All of the other detail pages show flight numbers, dates and times. The JNB detail page is empty.

Kayak shows all 777-300ER's, which do have only a few rows of J - closer to OP's description than the 20+ rows on an Emirates A380.

Perhaps they stopped the 380 on this route?

(I also found a version of the now-empty Emirates detail page that shows EK 761 and EK762 with a "valid to" date of 2/29/12. Kayak still shows EK761 but with a 777-300ER)

To the point above, when OP asked about DXB-JNB and EK flew one A380 and two 777's/day, I think the appropriate comparison indeed was with different aircraft in their fleet. I doubt SQ flies DXB-JNB, which was the original question.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 23, 2012 at 12:29 am
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:10 am
Original Poster

A380 pulled out to fix wing cracks, due back soon...

http://www.travelwithflair.co.za/News/News-Details.asp?ArticleID=320

Originally Posted by CPRich
Interestingly, looking at OP's question, Emirates doesn't show that it flies an A380 DXB-JNB.

I see press releases that they started service last October, and there is an A380 DBX-JNB details page in Google's cache that has a "back to A380 schedule" link that returns to the above page. All of the other detail pages show flight numbers, dates and times. The JNB detail page is empty.

Kayak shows all 777-300ER's, which do have only a few rows of J - closer to OP's description than the 20+ rows on an Emirates A380.

Perhaps they stopped the 380 on this route?

(I also found a version of the now-empty Emirates detail page that shows EK 761 and EK762 with a "valid to" date of 2/29/12. Kayak still shows EK761 but with a 777-300ER)

To the point above, when OP asked about DXB-JNB and EK flew one A380 and two 777's/day, I think the appropriate comparison indeed was with different aircraft in their fleet. I doubt SQ flies DXB-JNB, which was the original question.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Interesting. The booking engines show a 777 out to the dates I had checked in May, but do revert to the 380 on June 1. So it seems they are planning to switch back a month later than mentioned in the article, at least in terms of what's loaded in their systems. And that's what would dictate the seat map that you see.

Are you traveling on EK761 in May?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:39 am
Original Poster

So my end of June A380 flight from from DXB to JNB has been swapped out with a 77W. I'm flying J. Can anyone shed any light on major differences of the 2 products?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by nickfabb
So my end of June A380 flight from from DXB to JNB has been swapped out with a 77W. I'm flying J. Can anyone shed any light on major differences of the 2 products?
No flat bed... Chance that it could even be an old 'recliner'
No bar...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.