Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is EK Expanding Too Quickly...???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The majority of people I speak to in the US are well aware of Emirates. EK seem to have a great reputation - it's just that most Americans don't really consider Dubai or the Middle East as a tourist destination.

Routes to the far east are hard to justify as it's a heck of a long way round.

So, people would like to fly EK, but there is nowhere they'd like to go

The Indian people I've worked with over there all try and use EK where possible when travelling home.
The other issue is earning miles. I fly often to South Africa from the East Coast of the US and Emirates is a good option except I can't earn EQM's on US carriers. Due to cost factors I have done this 3 or 4 times.

I am based in PHL so to drag myself to JFK to not earn EQMs in the 19,000 mile range seems counter productive. Now if Emirates flew out of PHL maybe I would look more into Skywards.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
For those in the West Coast of USA or for those who travel to West Coast USA frequently, Alaska is a good option to earn miles. You also earn EQMs with Alaska.

May be EK should try to hook up with JetBlue, just like they did with Alaska. That would cause an exodus of frequent flyers to both EK and may to JetBlue. However the problem is JetBlue is also part owned by LH ??, and this could be deal killer. LH is intent on limiting EK whereever it can.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by hyho61
For those in the West Coast of USA or for those who travel to West Coast USA frequently, Alaska is a good option to earn miles. You also earn EQMs with Alaska.

May be EK should try to hook up with JetBlue, just like they did with Alaska. That would cause an exodus of frequent flyers to both EK and may to JetBlue. However the problem is JetBlue is also part owned by LH ??, and this could be deal killer. LH is intent on limiting EK whereever it can.
I didn't realize that with Alaska you earn EQM's. That's good to know and Alaska is just starting service to PHL. Maybe the inconvenience of JFK would be worth it to fly EK.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hyho61

Excellent point but does LH have extensive control over Jetblue's operations? As much as LH wants to limit EK, it probably only wants to limit it within Europe and not the United States.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: EK | DL | BA
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
Now if Emirates flew out of PHL maybe I would look more into Skywards.

Give it time
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: EK Skywards Blue, 9W Blue, LH
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Excellent point but does LH have extensive control over Jetblue's operations? As much as LH wants to limit EK, it probably only wants to limit it within Europe and not the United States.
Although LH and BA may taste the competition of EK more with their expansion in Europe, don't they both also fear that with EK's expansion in America, a lot of Indian expats will and already are choosing a Gulf connection instead of FRA/MUC/LHR connection. Therefore, if they already aren't, they should be concerned.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by razMJ
Although LH and BA may taste the competition of EK more with their expansion in Europe, don't they both also fear that with EK's expansion in America, a lot of Indian expats will and already are choosing a Gulf connection instead of FRA/MUC/LHR connection. Therefore, if they already aren't, they should be concerned.
LH also has rev. sharing with UA. BA has revenue sharing with AA so both BA and LH do have a vested interest to keep EK from expanding into the US for all traffic that is not US-Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.