Flex / Saver bait and switch

Old Jun 30, 11, 4:31 pm
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Angry Flex / Saver bait and switch

On Sunday 26th June, I booked a ticket on Emirates.com routing ACC-DXB-BOM//BOM-DXB-MNL//MNL-DXB-ACC.

At the time of booking, the system showed me that the itinerary earned 13375 Tier Miles and 21750 Skywards miles. I took a screenshot at the time and is reproduced below.

After the ticket was issued today, I logged back into Emirates.com and to my surprise found that the itinerary has suddenly changed to display only 8250 Tier Miles and 17000 Skywards miles. Screenshot below.

Livid would be one of the milder terms to describe my feelings at this moment. I'm not a big complainer about Flex/Saver fares, but when I book on Emirates.com and am told that something is a Flex or a Saver, they cannot simply change their mind later. Thankfully I have the screenshots to argue my case if/when push comes to shove, but this kind of nonsense leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Jun 30, 11, 5:01 pm

If it's a website error they will honour the miles based on the screenshot, but the two itineraries you've posted look different.

One takes you back to Accra after Bombay and one doesn't.

ETA: Is the DXB-MNL-DXB nested in the return of the ACC-BOM-ACC? This might explain the confusion but I'm not sure you could book it on one PNR if it was.

Last edited by ft101; Jun 30, 11 at 5:17 pm
Old Jun 30, 11, 6:06 pm
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
If it's a website error they will honour the miles based on the screenshot, but the two itineraries you've posted look different.

One takes you back to Accra after Bombay and one doesn't.

ETA: Is the DXB-MNL-DXB nested in the return of the ACC-BOM-ACC? This might explain the confusion but I'm not sure you could book it on one PNR if it was.
The routing is ACC-DXB-BOM on July 2//BOM-DXB-MNL on July 5//MNL-DXB-ACC on July 16.

The original itinerary gave miles on the basis of 3 half-round-trip components broken down as ACC-BOM/BOM-MNL/MNL-ACC. The final itinerary gives miles on the basis of 2 roundtrip components routing ACC-DXB-BOM//BOM-DXB/(DXB-MNL-DXB)/DXB-ACC (Accra to Mumbai with a nested Dubai-Manila roundtrip during a stopover on the return from Mumbai to Accra). Same PNR, same everything - but the way the miles were calculated changed in Manage Booking from the first picture (as of June 26) to the second picture (as of June 30) as soon as the actual e-ticket was issued.
Old Jun 30, 11, 10:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
When are people going to learn that booking on the EK website NEVER guarantees you will get a flex fare? Sometimes it says flex fare and the ticket is issued and reads saver and vice versa. The EK agents themselves still don't understand the system. You have to look up all of the fare rules yourself or get a good travel agent to do it for you to ensure that every segment you are booking is on a flex fare. Otherwise, take another airline until EK finally fixes this 18 month and counting issue.
Old Jul 1, 11, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
The routing is ACC-DXB-BOM on July 2//BOM-DXB-MNL on July 5//MNL-DXB-ACC on July 16.

The original itinerary gave miles on the basis of 3 half-round-trip components broken down as ACC-BOM/BOM-MNL/MNL-ACC. The final itinerary gives miles on the basis of 2 roundtrip components routing ACC-DXB-BOM//BOM-DXB/(DXB-MNL-DXB)/DXB-ACC (Accra to Mumbai with a nested Dubai-Manila roundtrip during a stopover on the return from Mumbai to Accra). Same PNR, same everything - but the way the miles were calculated changed in Manage Booking from the first picture (as of June 26) to the second picture (as of June 30) as soon as the actual e-ticket was issued.
All you can do is try sending the screen shots in. The way it is booked may cause a problem as I've heard about issues with nested tickets, but that doesn't excuse the difference in the way they've calculated it from one screen to another.
Old Jul 3, 11, 1:27 am

Programs: EK Gold EY Gold Sirius Gold SPG Plat / LT Gold
Send the screen-shots and booking details to [email protected]. Miles should be credited within 48 hours YMMV

I've had this 3 times now and they've honoured the flex miles each time; it may be a different story without the screen-shots though.
Old Jul 4, 11, 4:54 pm

Programs: EK, BA, TK
EK regulars probably know this much better than I, but their website seems to calculate miles/routing/stopovers by one set of rules while booking. Once ticketed, it's almost like the itinerary is re-examined and different rules applied.

Where I always see it happen is booking a <24h stop in DXB, by searching a three-part itinerary, ex: LHR-HKG, HKG-DXB, DXB-LHR. After ticketing, this shows as a two-part LHR-HKG-LHR with a connection.
Old Jan 12, 12, 2:53 am
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Finally, after nearly 7 months of email exchanges, Emirates have credited the miles today as per the screen shots. Whew.
Old Jan 12, 12, 2:58 pm

Congrats!
Old Jan 12, 12, 7:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Finally, after nearly 7 months of email exchanges, Emirates have credited the miles today as per the screen shots. Whew.
You have made an old man happy (me) there is indeed hope for us all ...
Old Jan 13, 12, 6:02 am
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Indeed, it looks like they have credited me with some bonus miles in addition to the adjustment requested.

^

And just out of coincidence, this has now requalified me for Gold until June 2013.
Old Jan 13, 12, 7:07 am

Indeed, it looks like they have credited me with some bonus miles in addition to the adjustment requested.

^

And just out of coincidence, this has now requalified me for Gold until June 2013.
Gold desk access till June 2013. You must be thrilled!
Old Jan 13, 12, 7:13 am
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
Gold desk access till June 2013. You must be thrilled!
Old Jan 13, 12, 9:00 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
How do you guys manage to get the Gold requalification for more than 14 months? I just requalified and I have it only until Feb 2013.
Old Jan 13, 12, 11:12 am
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post
How do you guys manage to get the Gold requalification for more than 14 months? I just requalified and I have it only until Feb 2013.
I'm not due to review status until May 2012, but I've already achieved the 50000 tier miles needed for renewal. SO when they review status in May, they will add another year to the back end of my status and reset the Tier Miles counter to zero.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: