Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting news from the 'Do'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
I always thought that a forum like this was to share information received or known.

I am quite suprised that no -one with the exception of DYKWIA's posting above, has divulged any information at all.

I don't know how one can say they went to the the EK/Skywards (Brian Labelle at least) visit without specifics questions in mind.... that is one of the main reasons to see them -- I could care less about seeing a simulator, I want to know about the program... afterall this is FT not airliners.net !!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:01 am

I also find it unethical to give hints about knowing more than others. The reason for such meetings with the airline executives is to build the relationship and open a dialogue. Ideally, most FT users would expect a meeting de-brief with facts and figures - not just a selection of photographs along with a few hints like:

I won't go into any detail, but the changes will start appearing soon :-D
Surely Emirates knew what they were exposing themselves to when receiving a group of active internet social media users, and I guess you were not required to sign any non-disclosure agreements.

All of us here have been supporting Emirates and its Skywards loyalty programme over the years, and are naturally anxious to learn more about the developments. Like yourselves, we have been looking forward to this event waiting to hear first-hand programme updates. Theoretically I might be less interested in the news to come due to my current status with Skywards, however in reality I am still interested to learn more about the programme - being based in Dubai and flying Emirates frequently.

Upon an opportnity, I will also bring this matter to the attention of Emirates so that they plan their future DOs better and manage the expectations of all stakeholders - the airline, DO participants, and FT users. The nature of such events is not private - and in case they are, they should not be covered in open social media channels.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by Aquitania
I also find it unethical to give hints about knowing more than others. The reason for such meetings with the airline executives is to build the relationship and open a dialogue. Ideally, most FT users would expect a meeting de-brief with facts and figures - not just a selection of photographs along with a few hints like:

Surely Emirates knew what they were exposing themselves to when receiving a group of active internet social media users, and I guess you were not required to sign any non-disclosure agreements.

All of us here have been supporting Emirates and its Skywards loyalty programme over the years, and are naturally anxious to learn more about the developments. Like yourselves, we have been looking forward to this event waiting to hear first-hand programme updates. Theoretically I might be less interested in the news to come due to my current status with Skywards, however in reality I am still interested to learn more about the programme - being based in Dubai and flying Emirates frequently.

Upon an opportnity, I will also bring this matter to the attention of Emirates so that they plan their future DOs better and manage the expectations of all stakeholders - the airline, DO participants, and FT users. The nature of such events is not private - and in case they are, they should not be covered in open social media channels.
Welcome Aquitania to FT-- and I beleive the first iO on our forum?...

Last edited by yyzlhr; Jun 29, 2011 at 5:51 am
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Did you actually read my response above? Or did you just choose to ignore it?
Both actually.

My only point is that creating a "those who were there" and "those who weren't there" divide serves no purpose other than to be divisive.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I read the original post as "EK has noticed users want the ability to search for Flex/Saver fares online. This may be implemented soon."

Pure speculation, but that's what it reads to me.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Very few specifics were discussed. The point was that EK do take note of what's happening on this forum, which should be incentive for people to keep participating.

Take flex and saver for example. EK has got feedback about it through various channels including FT and they'll probably do something to fix the problem soon.

As far as Skywards goes - we now know that UA/CO was ended by UA not EK and EK are looking for new partners. This has also been posted over on the UA forum.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:32 am

Interesting Mr H.

I had summised that it meant EK were scrapping the Flex/Saver nonsense as well as backdating all lost miles from this misjudged policy.

Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
I read the original post as "EK has noticed users want the ability to search for Flex/Saver fares online. This may be implemented soon."

Pure speculation, but that's what it reads to me.
+1

That is exactly what went through my head as it referred to changes to moaned about things on the EK site and that has to be high up there. I'd prefer they rectified moaned about things with the SKywards program rather than poor or lacking website features, but not much chance of that I suppose.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'll just say that as a member of the AS forum, we regularly have FTers go to AS MVP Gold Lunches (where elites are invited to nosh with AS employees in various cities across the AS network, both informally and sometimes with formal presentation and Q&A).

Those events aren't held off the record (as AS views these lunches and their FT presence as a communication tool to reach ALL of their elites through a variety of channels, not simply to segregate into attendees who get the scoop, and not attending who don't) and FTers who can't attend are typically quite grateful when those who do attend share what they learn at the events (yo can search in the forum and find a lot of notes taken by people at the events. Perhaps that would be something to keep in mind as EK deepens their involvement on FT. (The AS forum also has a pretty decent amount of AS employees involved in FT.)
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:02 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I think it's quite simple really. Back in 2001/02, EK was airline of the year and there was so much optimism about a huge future because the airline had only been in existence since 1985, so naturally you would think there was so much more improvement.

The latest skytrax ranking puts EK at 10. They have without done a lot wrong and upset so many of their customers which showed in the latest ranking. If they don't wake up soon, and listen to what their customers want (one way is to follow this forum), they will keep sliding, and with Etihad and Qatar as real threats to EK, things could go south for them really quickly.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I am still interested to learn more about the programme - being based in Dubai and flying Emirates frequently.
Welcome Aquitania! I think we're all interested, and so I hope you will post your thoughts about iO at some point
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Welcome!
You are mistaken if you believe the "DO" was put together by Emirates. They had nothing to do with it until about a month before kick off when they finally agreed to meet with some of the participants of the DO (funded and organised by Ft'rs who participated) and only then thanks to the persistence of EightBlack. In short it was not their "DO" rather for one morning they were a part of a gathering that lasted several days and was happening with or without them. I am pleased that they have finally emerged from the halls of power to engage with the people who at the end of the day pay their wages - something I have advocated in writings to them these past few years.

Last edited by mrtdxb; Jun 29, 2011 at 11:13 pm Reason: typos
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:32 am

Thank you for correcting my inaccuracy, mrtdxb.

In my original post I was certainly relating to the part where Emirates were engaged, not the entire DO. To the entire FT online community "who were not there" the part where Emirates were engaged was the most important. This is the reason why some members might be disappointed by the lack of any structured de-brief of your discussions with Emirates.

As I understand the reason Emirates have agreed to participate was not only to thrill you in their training facility, but also to interact with the entire FT online community, hear and discuss your concerns, recommendations and comments.

Any member of this forum had an opportunity to sign-up for the DO as it was not positioned as private, therefore every member of the forum would expect to hear the structured feedback.

Therefore my recommendation to Emirates would be to agree with the organizers of the future DO on the agenda as well as manage the event feedback. The airline would perceive FT as a platform for social engagement with all its members, not the selected few.

Last edited by Aquitania; Jun 30, 2011 at 1:42 am
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:23 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thank you for correcting my inaccuracy, mrtdxb.

In my original post I was certainly relating to the part where Emirates were engaged, not the entire DO. To the entire FT online community "who were not there" the part where Emirates were engaged was the most important. This is the reason why some members might be disappointed by the lack of any structured de-brief of your discussions with Emirates.

As I understand the reason Emirates have agreed to participate was not only to thrill you in their training facility, but also to interact with the entire FT online community, hear and discuss your concerns, recommendations and comments.

Any member of this forum had an opportunity to sign-up for the DO as it was not positioned as private, therefore every member of the forum would expect to hear the structured feedback.

Therefore my recommendation to Emirates would be to agree with the organizers of the future DO on the agenda as well as manage the event feedback. The airline would perceive FT as a platform for social engagement with all its members, not the selected few.
First welcome Aquitania to FT and the EK forum.

Let me try and clarify a couple of things. And I'll take responsibility for the thread going OT (off topic) as we have a conversation with each other.

Firstly, lets clarify what a Do is. It's a social gathering of FlyerTalkers. For a day. A few days. Maybe more. There's typically no structure to it, other than getting together for meals, drinks and enjoying the common hobby of all things travel related.

For example, the Singapore Do has been running for 10+ years. It has nothing to do with SQ the airline.

When I decided to organise the Dubai Do, I selfishly thought that it would be terrific to engage with EK. I had no expectations of them participating. And nor should I have had. When they decided to jump on board, I was naturally delighted. But as the organiser, I couldn't very well stipulate to EK how they wanted to engage with us, what should we see or what we should even discuss. There is no customer/supplier relationship as far as the "Do" is concerned.

Of course, as someone who is passionate about the airline and who is a regular customer, I had my own views on what they should or shouldn't do. As does everyone else.

We are members of an Internet Bulletin Board - nothing more. We don't pay anything to belong to it and are simply a part of a much larger online eco-system.

You mention in your first paragraph...

This is the reason why some members might be disappointed by the lack of any structured de-brief of your discussions with Emirates
Why? Did we as participants or I as the organiser commit to provide such a debrief? Where exactly was the expectation set?

You continue...

...therefore every member of the forum would expect to hear the structured feedback.
Again, if you trawl through most "Do" post summaries and/or comments, they are normally filled with gracious thank-you's and photos. Not expectations about receiving structured feedback. Sure, if FT was a paid subscription service, then that's a different story. But it isn't.

Finally, you mention in your last paragraph...

Therefore my recommendation to Emirates would be to agree with the organizers of the future DO on the agenda as well as manage the event feedback. The airline would perceive FT as a platform for social engagement with all its members, not the selected few
I just don't think you can manage event feedback. How do you do this with the internet? EK, like any brand, grapples with social media. Trip Advisor is a clear example of a customer base driving an online revolution. No brand can control what is said about them online, but they can engage.

You have every right to communicate whatever concerns you have with EK - and I'm certainly not saying anything to the contrary.

All I'm trying to get across is that this was a very big step for an airline who has been nervous of FT, of social media generally and who perhaps saw other priorities (as it's entitled to). It's easy for us to sit here and comment on what they should or shouldn't do - but until we actually see the business through their eyes, then I think it's an unreasonable position to argue or pontificate from.

If I sound defensive of them - then I apologise. The above are my personal comments as both a loyal customer of the airline and the fool who decided that we should organise such an event.

I think perhaps that instead of celebrating the success of the event, and the fact that we got to meet some wonderful people, experience some exceptional hospitality and opened a dialogue with the airline many of us choose to fly (remember, not every attendee was an EK customer, nor even a Skywards member), that we want to study in excruciating detail what EK should or shouldn't have done.

The EK visit was a small part of the weekend. It wasn't, as some of us might think, THE weekend.

Last edited by eightblack; Jun 30, 2011 at 4:40 am
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:37 am

Thank you for your comments, eightblack.

To be very brief and to the point, it seems that the disappointment of a few members here is that you and your colleages returned from the meeting with Emirates hinting "we know more than you do, changes are coming but we are not going to tell you". With a big smiley.

Personally I am more than happy with Emirates, they look very well after me. Nothing to complain about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.