Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fewer miles added to my Skywards account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 3:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You do need to register in order to be eligable and that has been a term of mile accelerator since it came out. If booked online with the EK FF number, there is automatic enrolment

From the Skywards site

•have opted-in for the promotion on skywards.com - or - have purchased and completed ticketing online via emirates.com (excludes any tickets issued or collected from an Emirates office),

How was the booking made? If booked online at Emirates.com , should be eligable
Old May 31, 2011, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How was the booking made? If booked online at Emirates.com , should be eligable
I booked ATH-DXB-BKK-HKG and HKG-BKK-DXB-ATH on Emirates.com. I wanted to do a free stop over, as allowed per fare rule, but their website was not able to help me (multiple cities gave me an error). After booking I contacted the online customer support and after exchanging a few e-mails (first they asked me to pay 100€ rebooking fee) I paid 15€ taxes p.p. and it has been changed to ATH-DXB-BKK-HKG, HKG-BKK-DXB and DXB-ATH.

What surprises me the most here is that
a) I have not been advised of the need for registration (which is not needed)
b) I'm only asking for something which should have been given to me, not for any compensation or favor
Old May 31, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: SAA, HHonors Gold, Skywards Gold
Me too! :)

Hey guys,

I have somewhat of a similar issue to another thread OP, I made a booking yesterday, took a screenshot of my purchase which shows miles including tier bonuses and miles accelerator bonuses. It showed me I was getting a flex ticket, now in MMB it shows saver and half the miles. I called emirates and they don't seem interested, shall I wait to fly and then lodge a missing miles claim or pursue it now?

Thanks in advance!

OOPS! didnt mean to start a new thread, this phone of mine is a pain! Sorry guys!
Old May 31, 2011, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by tiger302
I booked ATH-DXB-BKK-HKG and HKG-BKK-DXB-ATH on Emirates.com. I wanted to do a free stop over, as allowed per fare rule, but their website was not able to help me (multiple cities gave me an error). After booking I contacted the online customer support and after exchanging a few e-mails (first they asked me to pay 100€ rebooking fee) I paid 15€ taxes p.p. and it has been changed to ATH-DXB-BKK-HKG, HKG-BKK-DXB and DXB-ATH.

What surprises me the most here is that
a) I have not been advised of the need for registration (which is not needed)
b) I'm only asking for something which should have been given to me, not for any compensation or favor
Registration is needed unless the ticket is purchased and ticketing is completed online at emirates.com. This is stated on the skywards site. From the reply from EK, it would suggest that the system does not see the booking as having been completed online. If you think it was, then I would telephone them and explain; if it wasn't, then they are quite correct
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
As I think I have posted before I, as a matter of course, have a calendar reminder set for the second of each month to opt in myself and all my family to make sure that if and when any of us book a ticket in the month we get the bonus miles come what may ... it takes the guesswork out of it!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
As I think I have posted before I, as a matter of course, have a calendar reminder set for the second of each month to opt in myself and all my family to make sure that if and when any of us book a ticket in the month we get the bonus miles come what may ... it takes the guesswork out of it!
Instead of registering every time no matter if you fly or not, why not just register after you've booked?

I spoke to EK customer support on the phone, I explained them my case and that I only receive standard answers and was told that registration is needed. It clearly is NOT. 1.3 of their T&C clearly states:

Have opted-in for the promotion on skywards.com-or have purchased their ticket via emirates.com, between the first and the last day of this month (Dubai local time). Opt-in must occur before travel commences. Skysurfers can opt-in only with consent from the Parent/Guardian. Please contact the Emirates Contact Centre.

I sent another email to Skywards MAN and if I don't get a reply soon I will send a complain letter by mail.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Instead of registering every time no matter if you fly or not, why not just register after you've booked?
So I do not forget! For example I booked a ticket last week the day before travel on the 30th May and only thought about Opting in when I got my reminder from my calendar on the 2nd June ... for someone like me who is getting pretty fried mentally having to remember yet another step on a different website to emirates.com after checking MMB to make sure my FFN is in, setting up seats, Limos and trying for mileage upgrades is too much!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:12 am

Have opted-in for the promotion on skywards.com-or have purchased their ticket via emirates.com, between the first and the last day of this month (Dubai local time). Opt-in must occur before travel commences.
From what you said earlier, you completed the purchase on the phone (due to no fault of your own). This is what has probably caused the issue. Good luck in your attempt to get the extra miles but you'll need to get a sympathetic rep so I wouldn't hold out much hope. Keep trying.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:50 am

Have opted-in for the promotion on skywards.com-or have purchased their ticket via emirates.com, between the first and the last day of this month (Dubai local time). Opt-in must occur before travel commences. Skysurfers can opt-in only with consent from the Parent/Guardian. Please contact the Emirates Contact Centre.
Did you actually both purchase and complete ticketing online .. ( which is the requirement ) since what you have described in your post would seem to suggest not.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Did you actually both purchase and complete ticketing online .. ( which is the requirement ) since what you have described in your post would seem to suggest not.
When have I said that I purchased over the phone? I purchased my ticket on emirates.com and by that I have met the requirement ("Have opted-in for the promotion on skywards.com-or have purchased their ticket via emirates.com").

I do not know where they ticketed from, but if they have ticketed through EK Greece that is not my problem. The miles were shown in my booking and I qualified by purchasing on emirates.com. If they refuse they'll hear from my lawyer.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:06 pm

When have I said that I purchased over the phone? I purchased my ticket on emirates.com and by that I have met the requirement ("Have opted-in for the promotion on skywards.com-or have purchased their ticket via emirates.com").

I do not know where they ticketed from, but if they have ticketed through EK Greece that is not my problem. The miles were shown in my booking and I qualified by purchasing on emirates.com. If they refuse they'll hear from my lawyer.
The bit where you stated

"After booking I contacted the online customer support and after exchanging a few e-mails (first they asked me to pay 100€ rebooking fee) I paid 15€ taxes p.p. and it has been changed to ATH-DXB-BKK-HKG, HKG-BKK-DXB and DXB-ATH."

suggested that the ticketed itinerary was quite possibly not meeting the dual requirements of being both purchased and ticketed on the website
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Justice! Thanks Skywards MAN ^
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:08 pm

Justice! Thanks Skywards MAN ^
good result.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: EK GOLD

All,
I experienced a similar issue to these posts. After diligently researching flight options to get the maximum miles with a mixed class ticket, I chose to book online with the listed flex fares and was amazed to discover when I pushed the purchase button the online confirmation listed saver fares---and 5K tier miles LESS. Since I purchased J class, I wanted to ensure I got the miles quoted and after alot of run-around (including calling EK's Skywards service centers multiple times, even main in Dubai) I eventually did get the miles, but only after a stressful experience dealing with unsatisfying customer service center, and the posting wasn't realized until after miles from the actual trip were posted. I only found out the day before I flew that the miles would be credited. Agreed with previous poster that they didn't seem to care--or perhaps didn't know how to deal with or have the authority to resolve. Seems hit or miss in this area.
What did save me was:
1) The fact that I saved the screen shot immediately prior to purchasing (hint: folks, you can do so by "printing to PDF" to your computer) which clearly showed the ticket and miles, with the date/time stamp on PDF.
2) To back your claim: From the Skywards FAQ re saver or flex: The fares displayed clearly reflect whether they are 'Skywards Saver' or 'Skywards Flex' fares. You can also easily identify and choose flights offering Miles Accelerator bonuses when booking online at emirates.com.
3) Finally, last but not least: A sympathetic EK agent (not Skywards) who listened to my pleading and allowed me to email the confirmation, which she then brought to her supervisor, who agreed it was unusual. Treat these people well and kindly.
Cheers---
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Taralina
All,
I experienced a similar issue to these posts. After diligently researching flight options to get the maximum miles with a mixed class ticket, I chose to book online with the listed flex fares and was amazed to discover when I pushed the purchase button the online confirmation listed saver fares---and 5K tier miles LESS. Since I purchased J class, I wanted to ensure I got the miles quoted and after alot of run-around (including calling EK's Skywards service centers multiple times, even main in Dubai) I eventually did get the miles, but only after a stressful experience dealing with unsatisfying customer service center, and the posting wasn't realized until after miles from the actual trip were posted. I only found out the day before I flew that the miles would be credited. Agreed with previous poster that they didn't seem to care--or perhaps didn't know how to deal with or have the authority to resolve. Seems hit or miss in this area.
What did save me was:
1) The fact that I saved the screen shot immediately prior to purchasing (hint: folks, you can do so by "printing to PDF" to your computer) which clearly showed the ticket and miles, with the date/time stamp on PDF.
2) To back your claim: From the Skywards FAQ re saver or flex: The fares displayed clearly reflect whether they are 'Skywards Saver' or 'Skywards Flex' fares. You can also easily identify and choose flights offering Miles Accelerator bonuses when booking online at emirates.com.
3) Finally, last but not least: A sympathetic EK agent (not Skywards) who listened to my pleading and allowed me to email the confirmation, which she then brought to her supervisor, who agreed it was unusual. Treat these people well and kindly.
Cheers---
Welcome to FT and our forum! Thank you for your detailed and informative post about your experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.