Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Building Progress DXB and DWC and news updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Building Progress DXB and DWC and news updates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NOIR
A little more information regarding the tranformation from concourse to lettering system.

Just curious, does this mean that the large yellow outdoor signs at each gate will now match the gate numbering on the inside? Will the airport have to re-name the gates from the outside? For example, as of now half of the T3C2 is labelled as 'F' gates. This is the half facing the runways, the side facing the arrival/departure entrance are labelled as 'B,' matching this diagram.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:08 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Dubai Airport set to host world's biggest business class lounge

http://www.7daysindubai.com/Dubai-Ai...ail/story.html

I forgot to post this from a few days ago.
I am hoping that it should be a vastly superior experience than the current J "zoo" lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I am hoping that it should be a vastly superior experience than the current J "zoo" lounge.
For starters the lounge will be around half a kilometer long, with plenty of space.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:57 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
And hopefully more toilets too otherwise the queue might stretch for half a kilometer
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: EK | DL | BA
Dubai International’s cargo facilities to undergo a major expansion

Capacity to increase by 25% to 1.5-million tonnes a year

WAM
Published: 18:55 September 16, 2012

Dubai: Dubai International’s cargo facilities are set to undergo a major modernisation and expansion programme that will see cargo capacity increased to 3.1-million tons by 2018.

Over the next few months, as part of Dubai Airports’ $7.8b Strategic Plan 2020, construction is set to begin on a 30,000 sq. metre addition to Dubai International’s 1.2 million tonne Cargo Mega Terminal ‘CMT’, increasing capacity by 25 per cent to 1.5-million tonnes a year.

Dubai International’s original cargo facilities, Hall A and Freight Gate 1, located adjacent to the CMT, will also undergo a complete refurbishment.

Together, these facilities will be dedicated for the sole use of Emirates airline.

A new transhipment facility with capacity for 400,000 tonnes of freight a year is also under construction.

Once complete, it will handle about 60 per cent of cargo transferred between Dubai International and Dubai World Central, Dubai’s second airport. The new facility will be erected on the former site of the Airport Expo building which was partially demolished earlier this year to make way for it and a new baggage processing facility.

The new infrastructure responds to growing volumes of freight being transported through Dubai. Total annual cargo volumes across both airports are projected to surge from the 2.19-million tonnes recorded last year to 4.1-million tonnes by 2020.

While the greater flexibility at Dubai World Central is attracting an increasing number of dedicated cargo operators, Dubai International will remain an important cargo hub with growth in belly cargo driven by Emirates airline’s ongoing network expansion.

“Construction of the new facilities at Dubai International will take place in several stages to ensure the day-to-day working of the airport is not disrupted,” said Jeff Gould, VP Development at Dubai Airports.

Chris Garton, SVP, Operations at Dubai Airports, noted, “The continued growth in cargo volumes as well as the size of the airport meant that cargo facilities could no longer be clustered into one area. The new infrastructure will not only increase our capacity but go a long way to simplifying what has become an increasing complex cargo operation as the airport has grown.”

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...sion-1.1077128
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Signage change of the gates.

Pic provided by Gevorika78
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:08 am
Original Poster

http://khaleejtimes.ae/kt-article-di...=nationgeneral

New Dubai Airport alphabetic signage.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:22 am

http://khaleejtimes.ae/kt-article-di...=nationgeneral

New Dubai Airport alphabetic signage.

Speaking of which, I wish they'd change those bloody awful bright blue signage.

It looks so garish and so BA.

I much prefer the older signage that used to be in Terminal 1 - sleek, black, elegant. You just knew you were in Dubai when you saw them.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: EK | DL | BA
Originally Posted by EK029

I much prefer the older signage that used to be in Terminal 1 - sleek, black, elegant. You just knew you were in Dubai when you saw them.
That was one of my comments in the feedback form after the C3 trials a few years ago. I still hate them as much as I did when I first them.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EK029

Every gate (concourse) will also have a different colouring system to make it even easier for pax to find they're way around the airport. From what we can see gates B are going to be blue.

Also here is DAA's official press release regarding the alphbetical gate system switch.

http://www.dubaiairport.com/en/media...es.aspx?id=101
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Every gate (concourse) will also have a different colouring system to make it even easier for pax to find they're way around the airport. From what we can see gates B are going to be blue.

Also here is DAA's official press release regarding the alphbetical gate system switch.

http://www.dubaiairport.com/en/media...es.aspx?id=101
Pax won't be able to see, because of the overwhelming crush of other pax.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
Just curious, does this mean that the large yellow outdoor signs at each gate will now match the gate numbering on the inside? Will the airport have to re-name the gates from the outside? For example, as of now half of the T3C2 is labelled as 'F' gates. This is the half facing the runways, the side facing the arrival/departure entrance are labelled as 'B,' matching this diagram.
AppleMac will answer your question.........

No, the numbers outside are 'Stand' numbers and have no relation to the gate numbers inside the Terminal. The airport is divided into zones of parking stands - A, B, C, D, E and soon F - some of these are remote stands not attached to the Terminals and therefore do not have a related Gate. So the aircraft could be parked at Stand E15 for instance but the departure Gate might be A10 - then after that aircraft has departed Gate A10 might be used for the passengers for the aircraft parked on Stand C6.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:38 am
Original Poster

A close up of the clearing of the Delta Stands.

Pic taken by AppleMac
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
AppleMac will answer your question.........

No, the numbers outside are 'Stand' numbers and have no relation to the gate numbers inside the Terminal. The airport is divided into zones of parking stands - A, B, C, D, E and soon F - some of these are remote stands not attached to the Terminals and therefore do not have a related Gate. So the aircraft could be parked at Stand E15 for instance but the departure Gate might be A10 - then after that aircraft has departed Gate A10 might be used for the passengers for the aircraft parked on Stand C6.
Just to add that these stand numbers have no bearing on passengers. if your not a crew member or airport worker, they are not supposed to mean anything (i guess some passengers get confused when they see this from the aircraft window but those signs are not for passengers)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:08 pm

August passenger traffic surges 20 per cent
http://www.dubaiairport.com/EN/MEDIA...es.aspx?id=104

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.