Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive EK On-Board "Cash Upgrade" Thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive EK On-Board "Cash Upgrade" Thread.

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
*** ding ding ding. EK passengers (some) have become almost as bad as passengers of the American carriers when it comes to expecting upgrades. Normally, it's none of my business and as long as they have enough food, does not affect me. HOWEVER, the one time I lost the plot w EK was on a flight from MEL. on check in I was told I was the ONLY F passenger. (Booked full fare, etc) but at the gate they just started upgrading like XMAS until F was full. I don't know why this really stuck in my claw but I got up and asked the purser to get a ground supervisor. I politely explained that as an IO if I had not bought F. I certainly would have been upgraded but to be the only passenger paying for F in a now full cabin of 13 upgrades and me, it was not right and I kinda demanded (I'm not usually like that) to have my ticket reissued as a biz class ticket and refund the balance (and of course keep me in F). He was very apologetic and explained my ticket was already used but would send a message to Dubai. 2 weeks later I got a check for a FULL refund for that flight. Not one of my proudest moments and I've never been accused of being a DYKWIA. I'm still embarrassed to this day that I got so worked up over something so petty but EK needs to find a middle ground. They have a better percentage then most other airlines of full F passengers but they need to stop upgrading at the gate unless it's for oversold reasons. Status should count for zip. I've been a Gold or Plat every year since the program started and have NEVER gotten an upgrade cuz I'm dumb enough to always pay for F. Perhaps on routes where EK is known to upgrade liberally I should start buying J and see if EK notices. The people at IO have remarked they can't see one tkt bought in anything but F as far back as they can look so they obviously do look
I've heard they've started to "protect" f a bit more now and they are not as liberal with j to f.

I've not seen much evidence of that though and like you I'm dumb enough to pay for first.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by m3red
I've heard they've started to "protect" f a bit more now and they are not as liberal with j to f.

I've not seen much evidence of that though and like you I'm dumb enough to pay for first.
Let's find a few more of us and take a "protest flight" somewhere all on deep discount economy fares . (I'll be glad to do it as long as I get an upgrade hahahaha
Old May 7, 2016, 2:16 am

Let's find a few more of us and take a "protest flight" somewhere all on deep discount economy fares . (I'll be glad to do it as long as I get an upgrade hahahaha
Hey, it's not all that bad down below/at the back!

Although I definitely agree with the substance of your post, you did say:

They have a better percentage then most other airlines of full F passengers but they need to stop upgrading at the gate unless it's for oversold reasons.
Are you sure that the 13 pax weren't just oversold pax because of massive overbooking in Y? Obviously not excusing the bad taste from check-in (outsourced) telling you it was empty then suddenly the cabin being completely full, but I don't think anyone is going to be moved to F except in oversold situations!
Old May 11, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Hey, it's not all that bad down below/at the back!

Although I definitely agree with the substance of your post, you did say:

Are you sure that the 13 pax weren't just oversold pax because of massive overbooking in Y? Obviously not excusing the bad taste from check-in (outsourced) telling you it was empty then suddenly the cabin being completely full, but I don't think anyone is going to be moved to F except in oversold situations!
Actually, I was told in the letter that came with my refund check that it was due to an oversold situation in Y, causing 13 J pax to be moved to F but still, it felt like a slap in the face being the ONLY full fare paying passenger in a cabin full of gate upgrades. I'm sure it's not uncommon to be the only full F pax on other flights that may have a few op ups, etc but this was just ridiculous the way it was handled. Looking back I see I got much angrier then was called for but I could just picture them telling me "Sorry, we have no more....." To their credit the gate supervisor did advise the crew, I assume so that I would first choice on the menu (which ended up being a good thing as I have never heard more apologies from flight attendants telling people they were out of this or that. (Since obviously the flight was not catered for 14 F, they should have offered the upgrades and told the lucky 13 the food will be from the J menu
Old May 12, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: EK Gold
*** ding ding ding. EK passengers (some) have become almost as bad as passengers of the American carriers when it comes to expecting upgrades. Normally, it's none of my business and as long as they have enough food, does not affect me. HOWEVER, the one time I lost the plot w EK was on a flight from MEL. on check in I was told I was the ONLY F passenger. (Booked full fare, etc) but at the gate they just started upgrading like XMAS until F was full. I don't know why this really stuck in my claw but I got up and asked the purser to get a ground supervisor. I politely explained that as an IO if I had not bought F. I certainly would have been upgraded but to be the only passenger paying for F in a now full cabin of 13 upgrades and me, it was not right and I kinda demanded (I'm not usually like that) to have my ticket reissued as a biz class ticket and refund the balance (and of course keep me in F). He was very apologetic and explained my ticket was already used but would send a message to Dubai. 2 weeks later I got a check for a FULL refund for that flight. Not one of my proudest moments and I've never been accused of being a DYKWIA. I'm still embarrassed to this day that I got so worked up over something so petty but EK needs to find a middle ground. They have a better percentage then most other airlines of full F passengers but they need to stop upgrading at the gate unless it's for oversold reasons. Status should count for zip. I've been a Gold or Plat every year since the program started and have NEVER gotten an upgrade cuz I'm dumb enough to always pay for F. Perhaps on routes where EK is known to upgrade liberally I should start buying J and see if EK notices. The people at IO have remarked they can't see one tkt bought in anything but F as far back as they can look so they obviously do look
Wow, So EK really does bend over backwards to make an IO happy. :-)
Old May 12, 2016, 5:53 am

Actually, I was told in the letter that came with my refund check that it was due to an oversold situation in Y, causing 13 J pax to be moved to F but still, it felt like a slap in the face being the ONLY full fare paying passenger in a cabin full of gate upgrades. I'm sure it's not uncommon to be the only full F pax on other flights that may have a few op ups, etc but this was just ridiculous the way it was handled. Looking back I see I got much angrier then was called for but I could just picture them telling me "Sorry, we have no more....." To their credit the gate supervisor did advise the crew, I assume so that I would first choice on the menu (which ended up being a good thing as I have never heard more apologies from flight attendants telling people they were out of this or that. (Since obviously the flight was not catered for 14 F, they should have offered the upgrades and told the lucky 13 the food will be from the J menu
Joke's on them though, the F food *is* mainly the J menu

Totally sympathise - it is all about the way you handle these things and the presentation. No one likes hearing that someone else got a better deal (even though you know it's true) - you just feel like a mug. Case in point: the hotel business, where the range of rates for the same room can be quite shocking!

Sometimes when you travel a lot you just have those moments where you just snap - the trick is, I think, not to let that become habit!
Old May 13, 2016, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Joke's on them though, the F food *is* mainly the J menu

!
I've seen upgrades on board, where the F/A takes the miles, etc but informs the passenger first they may not have enough caviar. I've seen that twice and sure enough one of those times in the middle of the flight the pax got furious (I mean YELLING at the f/a) cuz they didn't have any caviar left. But I HEARD the F/A warn her that might happen. I don't eat the stuff so told the f/a to give her mine if it would shut her up. We had a good laugh cuz she "accidentally" spiiled it on the floor and had to throw it away (had the pax not been such a b--ch she surly would have been given mine. As for the f/a, it wasn't an unprofessional thing to do IMO as I knew her from out and about and it WAS mine to spill
Old May 13, 2016, 2:22 am

As for the f/a, it wasn't an unprofessional thing to do IMO as I knew her from out and about and it WAS mine to spill
Then you should've spilled it, not the FA, if an FA does such a thing on purpose, especially in a premium cabin, they don't belong on an airline like EK. The whole point of being an FA is remaining polite and grounded in the face of adversity (DYKWIAs demanding caviar).

However I also think it isn't appropriate to charge a pax for a premium cabin and then deny them part of the benefits/amenities. It's not like the pax got a discounted upgrade rate I'm assuming?
Old May 13, 2016, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Then you should've spilled it, not the FA, if an FA does such a thing on purpose, especially in a premium cabin, they don't belong on an airline like EK. The whole point of being an FA is remaining polite and grounded in the face of adversity (DYKWIAs demanding caviar).

However I also think it isn't appropriate to charge a pax for a premium cabin and then deny them part of the benefits/amenities. It's not like the pax got a discounted upgrade rate I'm assuming?
The passenger was TOLD before upgrading there would not be enough caviar. So how is it not appropriate to deny them this? They took the upgrade knowing full well they would not get caviar. She could have denied the upgrade.

As for the f/a, no, not the most professional thing but I kinda egged her on and it was mine. Had the passenger just been polite instead of waking half of first class w her rant then all would have been happy
Old May 13, 2016, 4:36 am

The passenger was TOLD before upgrading there would not be enough caviar. So how is it not appropriate to deny them this? They took the upgrade knowing full well they would not get caviar. She could have denied the upgrade.

As for the f/a, no, not the most professional thing but I kinda egged her on and it was mine. Had the passenger just been polite instead of waking half of first class w her rant then all would have been happy
I understand pax was informed before upgrade, I'm wondering why EK offers an upgrade if undercatered? Or is the caviar the only concern?

Yes, pax was completely out of line, as well of course having been informed before, but I do still think EK shouldn't sell an upgrade at full cost if unable to provide amenities, even if informed in advance.
Old May 13, 2016, 5:19 am

I understand pax was informed before upgrade, I'm wondering why EK offers an upgrade if undercatered? Or is the caviar the only concern?

Yes, pax was completely out of line, as well of course having been informed before, but I do still think EK shouldn't sell an upgrade at full cost if unable to provide amenities, even if informed in advance.
They cater for confirmed passengers and not for onboard upgrades.

I've had this a couple of times- they've always had the caviar and I've eaten off the j menu basically. I don't really care for the food but the canopies and the wine list is very nice. Sat in the sin lounge now and it's heaving - going to wait to eat on the plane I think.
Old May 13, 2016, 5:20 am

EK F is usually overcatered but even EK aren't going to load 14/14 meals every flight - it's a trade off.

In this situation I think the pax was completely out of line - especially with yelling. The FA has no case to answer.

As for dropping the caviar - oh well. Things happen in the hospitality industry. Nicer things happen if you are nicer.

Professional doesn't mean taking things lying down - in fact, when evaluating the hospitality staff for the qualities you want in the best staff, that sense of humanity when you don't kowtow the whims of people throwing tantrums is a big positive.

Being professional is understanding the absurdity of the situation and humanising it, creating a rapport with a customer, but it's a two-way process; the customer also needs to be involved with the interaction.

It's about respecting their expectations and ensuring they are realistic (which in this case, being told there is no caviar and then proceeding to upgrade means there is no expectation to have it), not giving people what they want all the time.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by m3red
They cater for confirmed passengers and not for onboard upgrades.

I've had this a couple of times- they've always had the caviar and I've eaten off the j menu basically. I don't really care for the food but the canopies and the wine list is very nice. Sat in the sin lounge now and it's heaving - going to wait to eat on the plane I think.
My teeth aren't strong enough for those . I usually have the canapes..
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Re-upping this thread to see the status of onboard J-F upgrades at the moment. Currently flying DXB to DME on Jan 1 in F with the wife, and now my parents would like to join. Both F and J look wide open, but F cash fares are 4x J, so I am inclined to book J for them. What are the odds of an upgrade offer at check in or onboard, and any rough estimate of the price?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Re-upping this thread to see the status of onboard J-F upgrades at the moment. Currently flying DXB to DME on Jan 1 in F with the wife, and now my parents would like to join. Both F and J look wide open, but F cash fares are 4x J, so I am inclined to book J for them. What are the odds of an upgrade offer at check in or onboard, and any rough estimate of the price?
Expect the upgrade "offer" to be the difference in the J and F fare. It's very rare to have special cash offers for F upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.