Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive EK On-Board "Cash Upgrade" Thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive EK On-Board "Cash Upgrade" Thread.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Flying BOM DXB GRU ON JAN 3. Interested in a special offer upgrade from J to F on one or both sectors and happy to pay a Reasonable amount for the privilege. Never tried or done this before -- any advice or tips on what I can do to get a good offer? Eg call Dubai, call Bombay , write to my home base?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Tracebuzta
September 2011 - DXB-MLE - $750 from J to F...
This price also quoted in December 2011. Politely declined for this 4 hour sector.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Does anyone have experience on an upgrade for Y->J for CMB to SIN?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, EK Plat, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ung1
Ok, so instead of giving it for free like they normally would, they charged you for it. I remember asking once for a DXB - SIN flight which wasn't oversold, and it was something like $2700 for a Y -> J upgrade, which was almost as much as a J return.
990 Y to J at check-in (No Lounge Access, No Extra Baggage Allowance or Miles, just the seat (Wife paid, I got OP-Up'd - Gold Status) JFK-DXB A380. This was on 30 DEC 2011 due to extreme over selling in Y. J and F where practically empty until they sold the seats, by the end J was full and F had 8 pax.

-Phil

Last edited by pjm1300; Jan 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Was quoted USD1500 for J to F DXB-CPT. Later the purser changed that to USD2000 after talking to someone (in revenue presumably) - "as prices have been reviewed from 1 January".

Expect some nasty surprises!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:10 pm

Jfk-mxp j-f $5000.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: MileagePLUS Premier Gold, Skywards Gold and Flying Blue Petroleum Club
Y-J GIG-DXB $3800

I have asked on multiple occasions..

Kurt
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I've learnt the hard way to just pay for the class you want to travel in!
Old May 4, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: *G, LO SEN, Shangri-la Diamond
MRU->DXB Y->J for $1900 with multiple available J seats. No airport upgrade possible due to no EK counter. Makes little sense

Additionaly, no free upgrades as per check-in, gate and on board crews.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by m3red
I've learnt the hard way to just pay for the class you want to travel in!
*** ding ding ding. EK passengers (some) have become almost as bad as passengers of the American carriers when it comes to expecting upgrades. Normally, it's none of my business and as long as they have enough food, does not affect me. HOWEVER, the one time I lost the plot w EK was on a flight from MEL. on check in I was told I was the ONLY F passenger. (Booked full fare, etc) but at the gate they just started upgrading like XMAS until F was full. I don't know why this really stuck in my claw but I got up and asked the purser to get a ground supervisor. I politely explained that as an IO if I had not bought F. I certainly would have been upgraded but to be the only passenger paying for F in a now full cabin of 13 upgrades and me, it was not right and I kinda demanded (I'm not usually like that) to have my ticket reissued as a biz class ticket and refund the balance (and of course keep me in F). He was very apologetic and explained my ticket was already used but would send a message to Dubai. 2 weeks later I got a check for a FULL refund for that flight. Not one of my proudest moments and I've never been accused of being a DYKWIA. I'm still embarrassed to this day that I got so worked up over something so petty but EK needs to find a middle ground. They have a better percentage then most other airlines of full F passengers but they need to stop upgrading at the gate unless it's for oversold reasons. Status should count for zip. I've been a Gold or Plat every year since the program started and have NEVER gotten an upgrade cuz I'm dumb enough to always pay for F. Perhaps on routes where EK is known to upgrade liberally I should start buying J and see if EK notices. The people at IO have remarked they can't see one tkt bought in anything but F as far back as they can look so they obviously do look
GratefulSmile likes this.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
04/2016 AMM to DXB Y->J for 570 AED (~135 EUR)

Offered a few days earlier via email
Old May 6, 2016, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by rathin100
Flying BOM DXB GRU ON JAN 3. Interested in a special offer upgrade from J to F on one or both sectors and happy to pay a Reasonable amount for the privilege. Never tried or done this before -- any advice or tips on what I can do to get a good offer? Eg call Dubai, call Bombay , write to my home base?
What's reasonable? If it's anything over 24-48 hours before departure the only thing EK thinks is reasonable is full fare. Your not going to get any upgrade to first unless it's day of departure (and even then probably only if J is over sold and you have status). If you were able to buy a cheap upgrade to First before departure by contacting the ticket office there would be no point in anyone paying for F. Y-J would be easier but I doubt that would be possible either. Why don't you just look on the EK web site for F or J Special offers. Just by looking at that page I found JFK-DEL R/T in F for aprx $10,000 which was a big savings (Was able to buy 3 months worth of tkts saving over $20,000 total
Old May 6, 2016, 3:23 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
*** ding ding ding. EK passengers (some) have become almost as bad as passengers of the American carriers when it comes to expecting upgrades. Normally, it's none of my business and as long as they have enough food, does not affect me. HOWEVER, the one time I lost the plot w EK was on a flight from MEL. on check in I was told I was the ONLY F passenger. (Booked full fare, etc) but at the gate they just started upgrading like XMAS until F was full. I don't know why this really stuck in my claw but I got up and asked the purser to get a ground supervisor. I politely explained that as an IO if I had not bought F. I certainly would have been upgraded but to be the only passenger paying for F in a now full cabin of 13 upgrades and me, it was not right and I kinda demanded (I'm not usually like that) to have my ticket reissued as a biz class ticket and refund the balance (and of course keep me in F). He was very apologetic and explained my ticket was already used but would send a message to Dubai. 2 weeks later I got a check for a FULL refund for that flight. Not one of my proudest moments and I've never been accused of being a DYKWIA. I'm still embarrassed to this day that I got so worked up over something so petty but EK needs to find a middle ground. They have a better percentage then most other airlines of full F passengers but they need to stop upgrading at the gate unless it's for oversold reasons. Status should count for zip. I've been a Gold or Plat every year since the program started and have NEVER gotten an upgrade cuz I'm dumb enough to always pay for F. Perhaps on routes where EK is known to upgrade liberally I should start buying J and see if EK notices. The people at IO have remarked they can't see one tkt bought in anything but F as far back as they can look so they obviously do look
This is probably one of the best posts I have ever read on FT. And in total agreement ^.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old May 6, 2016, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Why don't you just look on the EK web site for F or J Special offers.
'Cos his flight was over 4 years ago?
Old May 6, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ft101
'Cos his flight was over 4 years ago?
That's what I get for reading posts when I should be paying attention to the meeting I'm in. If you ever get a time machine, text me....ill be glad to help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.