Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

For LY fourm - AA codeshare with LY!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For LY fourm - AA codeshare with LY!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:36 pm
Suspended

this is very good news, now only if I will beable to use my AA miles to upgrade out of coach, I can say good-bye to CO
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by craz
Nope, thats why AA hasnt started service to TLV, knowing that if they did the aircraft would be seized to pay off debts that TWA owed. AA still says when it purchased TWA it did so but didnt include TLV or CAI in the deal as TWA owed alot of $$$.While the Israelis said No Dice, you bought TWA and therefore the debts of TWA as well.

I guess AA feels with DL starting up and thusly discontinuing the code-share with LY that they can step in. (DL now flys from ATL, but comes March JFK-TLV gets Restarted).
AA don't fly to TLV and do not even have an office in Israel. They are represented by Tal Aviation and that's their way to do business in Israel while not being under the threat of equipment seizure.

I believe it is more an incentive by LY that needed a strong US partner with the departure of DL. AA are the natural choice as they are former partners, they have hubs in JFK, MIA and LAX and they are already partners with Matmid. AA have lost their codeshare to Israel with Swiss and LY are natural partners for them, especially when the new agreement includes also flights between Europe and Israel.

In any case, the whole saga between the employees of TWA and AA in Israel is at civil courts and there is no reason the government would block the new agreement.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
it was actually Bank Leumi which poured the money for the new lounge in terminal 4
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LY Insider
To all concerned, it is currently not within the plans of El Al Israel Airlines to move terminals at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Really? I thought LY wants moveable out from terminal 4. That exactly not LY wants into terminal 9 at JFK. I'm confused why LY has been not changed terminal at JFK. Because terminal 4 is very extremely overcrowded some entire airlines is JM, VS, AI, TG, VX, PK, SA, LX, MA and along more other airlines in terminal 4.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
Really? I thought LY wants moveable out from terminal 4. That exactly not LY wants into terminal 9 at JFK. I'm confused why LY has been not changed terminal at JFK. Because terminal 4 is very extremely overcrowded some entire airlines is JM, VS, AI, TG, VX, PK, SA, LX, MA and along more other airlines in terminal 4.
I figure they dont want out , since if they moved say into AAs Term, then they wouldnt be able to manage their Security as they can now being in Term 4. In AAs term they would cause all sorts of problems as they would want their own dedicated check-in area and Security which they need but will cause alot of problems with those already working over at AAs term.

So for Security reasoning I can see where LY wouldnt want to be in any Term where they wouldnt be able to have 100% control over all the OPs as they need and want to.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:03 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by apirchik
In any case, the whole saga between the employees of TWA and AA in Israel is at civil courts and there is no reason the government would block the new agreement.

IIRC there is a court ruling against AA. Can I assume that your statement above only relates to the code share agreement and not to them flying their metal to TLV? Even then I would imagine that the former employees could go to court to try get an injunction against the code share stating that AA will benefit financially while not abiding by the court's ruling.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
IIRC there is a court ruling against AA. Can I assume that your statement above only relates to the code share agreement and not to them flying their metal to TLV? Even then I would imagine that the former employees could go to court to try get an injunction against the code share stating that AA will benefit financially while not abiding by the court's ruling.
I can't honestly believe we will see AA metal in TLV anytime soon. Of course my statement above is about the codesharing agreement and about the question whether the government will do anything to block the agreement - to which the answer is no.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent
Originally Posted by craz
Nope, thats why AA hasnt started service to TLV, knowing that if they did the aircraft would be seized to pay off debts that TWA owed. AA still says when it purchased TWA it did so but didnt include TLV or CAI in the deal as TWA owed alot of $$$.While the Israelis said No Dice, you bought TWA and therefore the debts of TWA as well.

I guess AA feels with DL starting up and thusly discontinuing the code-share with LY that they can step in. (DL now flys from ATL, but comes March JFK-TLV gets Restarted).
How much $$$ does TWA owe in TLV?
AA is doing much better and I think this is more of a "test the waters" idea. If it works for them, perhaps they could see the benefit of paying off TWA's debt and serving JFK-TLV on a 777. I would absolutely give that route a try and it would provide excellent connections for TLV travelers.

DL just doesn't do it for me.....
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum, LY Maybe:)
Originally Posted by FLYaway3x
How much $$$ does TWA owe in TLV?
AA is doing much better and I think this is more of a "test the waters" idea. If it works for them, perhaps they could see the benefit of paying off TWA's debt and serving JFK-TLV on a 777. I would absolutely give that route a try and it would provide excellent connections for TLV travelers.

DL just doesn't do it for me.....
I personally think that LY has better service than AA so I wouldn't be so eager to see AA flying (other than see the price drop.)
Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I wonder if the Rabbanut would figure it out if (after the whole TWA mess gets settled, if ever) LY became a full member of OW and partnered with various OW carriers to do 2x weekly service to/from TLV -- of course, the two days would be Friday & Saturday!

Everyone would run their current daily service in competition with LY's current 5x or 6x service, and on the weekend, when there is usually lighter demand, they would pick up an extra frequency.

It would be great if AA could run a Friday early afternoon flight (say, 2pm) JFK-TLV, arriving about 7:30am Saturday morning, turning around at 10:30am to arrive JFK at 2:30pm, with full Matmid earning etc. Same thing on Sat-Sun...
Old Dec 25, 2007, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
It would also help Jews fly on Shabbat
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:48 pm

Lightbulb US $5 million from codesharing

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/page...ubContrassID=0

According to Ha'aretz, El Al Israel Airlines should get US $5 million a year from the codesharing. Is it just me, or does this sound like very little?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by Sholey
It would also help Jews fly on Shabbat
As if CO, DL, BA, LH, LX, AF, KL, etc. don't do that?

The way I see it, anyone who can't see the value to their own life of taking 25 hours off every week, doesn't deserve it.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond,Holiday Inn Dia Ambassador ,AA Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF

The way I see it, anyone who can't see the value to their own life of taking 25 hours off every week, doesn't deserve it.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond,Holiday Inn Dia Ambassador ,AA Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF

well said.....@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.