Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

For LY fourm - AA codeshare with LY!

Old Dec 4, 07, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold

See the Press release re AA codeshare with LY

(From the FT AA fourm)

American Airlines Announces Codesharing With EL AL Israel Airlines (Press Release)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Airlines Announces Codesharing With EL AL Israel Airlines

FORT WORTH, Texas, Dec. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines, a founding member of the global oneworld(R) Alliance, today announced it will apply to the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) for authorization to begin codeshare cooperation with EL AL Israel Airlines. The application proposes that codesharing operations begin on Feb. 1, 2008.

Under the proposal, American would place its AA designator code on EL AL flights to Tel Aviv from New York John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), Los Angeles, Miami and Newark, as well as on EL AL fights to Tel Aviv from European gateways in London Heathrow, Paris, Madrid, Zurich and Rome.

In turn, EL AL would place its LY designator code on certain of American Airlines domestic flights out of El Al's North American gateways -- JFK, Miami, Los Angeles, Newark and Toronto. El Al would also codeshare on American's flights between the United States and London Heathrow, Paris, Madrid, Zurich and Rome.

"EL AL is a high quality, world-class airline that will provide our passengers and shippers with additional choices and convenient service to Tel Aviv," said Henry Joyner, American's Senior Vice President -- Planning. "We also look forward to serving EL AL's passengers on our American flights in many of our North American markets. We're especially pleased to be codesharing with EL AL into, and out of, our new $1.3 billion state-of-the-art JFK terminal."

"We are proud to join forces with American Airlines, a company whose history, size and range of services speak for themselves," said EL AL CEO Haim Romano. "The authorization of EL AL's codeshare agreement with American Airlines will open up new horizons, create a wide range of possibilities, and enable EL AL passengers to fly on LY code -- with convenience and maximum flexibility -- between Israel and North America."

American and EL AL already have a frequent flyer program relationship. American's AAdvantage members may earn or redeem AAdvantage miles on EL AL flights.

About American Airlines

American Airlines is the world's largest airline. American, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection(R) airlines serve 250 cities in over 40 countries with more than 4,000 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 1,000 aircraft. American's award-winning Web site, AA.com, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld(R) Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve nearly 700 destinations in over 140 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation. AmericanAirlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection(R) airlines, AA.com and AAdvantage are registered trademarks of American Airlines, Inc. (NYSE:AMR)

About EL AL Israel Airlines

EL AL is Israel's national airline. The company was founded in 1948, just a few months after the establishment of the State of Israel. EL AL was government-owned until it underwent privatization in 2004. EL AL operates over 400 weekly flights to 38 destinations around the world -- in Europe, Africa, the Far East and North America -- including connecting flights to another 600 destinations. EL AL is the largest carrier on routes between Israel and North America, and it flies directly to five North American airports -- JFK in New York, Newark, Miami, Los Angeles and Toronto -- for a total of 27 weekly North America-bound flights, including some 17 to the greater New York area. The company maintains a fleet of 37 passenger planes, two of which are new 777-200s that it received in the summer of 2007. It recently announced its intention to buy a fifth 747-200 and continue equipping 737s. The EL AL Matmid Frequent Flyers Club numbers nearly 600,000 members, about a fourth of whom are outside of Israel, mainly in North America. The club maintains strategic partnerships with credit card companies in Israel, the US and Europe, as well as with many tourist organizations.

AmericanAirlines(R) We know why you fly(R)
Current AMR Corp. releases can be accessed on the Internet.
The address is http://www.aa.com

Source: American Airlines
Old Dec 4, 07, 10:33 pm

Programs: LH M&L, CO OP, LY
Originally Posted by Sholey View Post
See the Press release re AA codeshare with LY

(From the FT AA fourm)

American Airlines Announces Codesharing With EL AL Israel Airlines (Press Release)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're especially pleased to be codesharing with EL AL into, and out of, our new $1.3 billion state-of-the-art JFK terminal."

So does that mean LY will operate from the AA terminal? What about the new lounge at T4?

Seriously, this is a very wise move for both carriers. LY gets passangers, AA gets direct access to TLV from many of its hubs.
Old Dec 4, 07, 11:20 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz Five Star Gold
I would HIGHLY doubt that LY is moving to T8. I think that AA was just plugging its spanking new terminal.

Very pleased with this news. Long overdue. Would be even cooler if LY was joining oneworld and we could earn elite-qualifying points by flying LY.
Old Dec 5, 07, 1:37 am

Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
This is a much better agreement than the one they had with DL.
Old Dec 5, 07, 9:07 am

Programs: CO Gold, AA Platinum, United Elite, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LatusElAl View Post
I would HIGHLY doubt that LY is moving to T8. I think that AA was just plugging its spanking new terminal.

Very pleased with this news. Long overdue. Would be even cooler if LY was joining oneworld and we could earn elite-qualifying points by flying LY.
I'm a little confused here.... The benefits to the customers should be:
1. LY Matmid Customers
- Getting Matmid points on US dometics connection codeshare flights
- Getting Matmid points on US-UK AA operated codeshare flights
2. AAdvantage Customers
- Getting EQMs on US-TLV LY operated codeshare flights.
- Getting Elite bobus on the above

Did I miss anything?

Also, and even more important - will I still be able to use my DL miles to purchase LY tickets? The TLV-EU reward tickets using DL miles are 30K vs 40K with AAdvantage.
Old Dec 5, 07, 12:58 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by oresh View Post
2. AAdvantage Customers
- Getting EQMs on US-TLV LY operated codeshare flights.
- Getting Elite bonus on the above
Only if the ticket uses AA code share numbers rather than the LY flight numbers.

Originally Posted by LatusElAl View Post
Would be even cooler if LY was joining oneworld and we could earn elite-qualifying points by flying LY.
From your lips, to His ears...

What are the reasons LY would not be interested in this happening?
Old Dec 5, 07, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cohenyf View Post
So does that mean LY will operate from the AA terminal? What about the new lounge at T4?

Seriously, this is a very wise move for both carriers. LY gets passangers, AA gets direct access to TLV from many of its hubs.
Yes, LY will be moved into new state-of-the-art AA terminal in JFK. I don't think LY does not have lounge in terminal 4. Because AA will have own lounge with codesharing LY. It would be better timing connects flights from cities into JFK. I think it is much better than terminal 4 was very extremely overcrowded.
Old Dec 5, 07, 3:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
Haaretz flash news today notes:

"El-Al, American Airlines to nix extra security checks on some joint flights (Army Radio)"

What does this mean? Anyone here have any inside information or more details?
Old Dec 5, 07, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salut0 View Post
Haaretz flash news today notes:

"El-Al, American Airlines to nix extra security checks on some joint flights (Army Radio)"

What does this mean? Anyone here have any inside information or more details?
Because it was very strict security in entire flights. They will need you get secondary screening before entrance the aircraft. I remember when I was took on DL from ATL-TLV in 2006. They gave me secondary screening at the gates before entrance the gates area. You need give yourself extra times due to security reason. I think it should be fine for more entire times during your layover in JFK. You need go to LY counter prior check-in but, they will have answer you with security question before you go to CTX-5500 Machines. After that you will go to ticket counter before your bags is loadable onto entire aircraft.
Old Dec 5, 07, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, LY will be moved into new state-of-the-art AA terminal in JFK. I don't think LY does not have lounge in terminal 4. Because AA will have own lounge with codesharing LY. It would be better timing connects flights from cities into JFK. I think it is much better than terminal 4 was very extremely overcrowded.
What is your source for this? El Al just poured money into an enhanced lounge at JFK with showers etc. Let's ask LY Insider...
Old Dec 5, 07, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC2TLV View Post
What is your source for this? El Al just poured money into an enhanced lounge at JFK with showers etc. Let's ask LY Insider...
Go ahead. You can asked LY station manager more details information. If you figured out LY will be moved into AA terminal at JFK. I will have find out more specify information. Then I will let you know if I can hear more obtain information from my former manager.
Old Dec 6, 07, 9:16 am

To all concerned, it is currently not within the plans of El Al Israel Airlines to move terminals at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Old Dec 6, 07, 8:05 pm

question about LY & AA code share

The press release says that they have applied for approval for the code share.
What are the chances that the government will approve the request?
Will AA's liability for the TWA mess in Israel get in the way.
Old Dec 8, 07, 5:52 am

Why would the government have anything against AA?

The story with TWA is between the former employees of TWA and AA, not between the state of Israel and AA.
Old Dec 8, 07, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apirchik View Post
Why would the government have anything against AA?

The story with TWA is between the former employees of TWA and AA, not between the state of Israel and AA.
Nope, thats why AA hasnt started service to TLV, knowing that if they did the aircraft would be seized to pay off debts that TWA owed. AA still says when it purchased TWA it did so but didnt include TLV or CAI in the deal as TWA owed alot of $$$.While the Israelis said No Dice, you bought TWA and therefore the debts of TWA as well.

I guess AA feels with DL starting up and thusly discontinuing the code-share with LY that they can step in. (DL now flys from ATL, but comes March JFK-TLV gets Restarted).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: