Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by LY777
If you don’t fly on Friday, that’s not an issue.
When it comes to ask to seat next to same gender, most religious don’t ask a reseat.
This is not even remotely correct. If you fly on Thursday and your flight is cancelled and you refuse rebooking on Friday, you all of a sudden become responsible for your added delays on every airline except El Al. I think you are underestimating the number of religious people who fly exclusively on El Al because of this and many other issues. There are agreements between various factions of Haredim and El Al which give them exclusive customers.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ijkh
So the only rub right now seems to be according to the Consulate in SFO one can only apply for the close family permission to visit 14 days in advance. They also say allow 7 days for processing.
The Los Angeles consulate instructions are:
Applications for an entry permit must be submitted three weeks before the intended trip and no later than 10 business days before the flight. (Requests submitted outside this time frame, too soon or too late, will not be handled properly!)
The website is inconsistent about the processing time, seven business days according to this page and ten business days according to this one.

The Los Angeles consulate serves the following states: Arizona, Southern California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming. Since you live in the Pacific Northwest, a region served by the San Francisco consulate, Alaska, Northern California (Districts 1-21), Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington, I have no idea whether the Los Angeles consulate will process an entry application for you should you choose to apply there. It's probably worth making a phone call.
ijkh likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I just read this article in The Times of Israel. Israeli bureaucracy at its finest;

Want to visit your Israeli grandchildren after a year of separation? Get in line
Potential visitors need to email their local Israeli consulate with a single PDF file, no larger than 10 megabytes, with photocopies of their own passports and that of the person they want to visit, proof of the family connection — with an apostille, until recently — as well as proof of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, affidavits that they will enter quarantine, proof of health insurance valid in Israel, valid plane tickets, and that’s all before they even get on a plane to Israel. It’s not surprising that many people have had their applications rejected.

That’s what happened to Shayna Smilovitz’s parents, who had applied to the Israel consulate in San Francisco hoping to get to Israel as soon as possible after Smilovitz gave birth in November.

Her parents made sure to get all their paperwork emailed to the consulate well ahead of their planned April 13 flight. They were prepared, said Smilovitz, but the same couldn’t be said of the consulate, which didn’t approve their application as fast as they’d hoped. “You could tell they didn’t have their act together.” said Smilovitz, 36, who’s currently on maternity leave from her job at Facebook. “I get it; all the consulates were probably scrambling.” The elder Smilovitzes were eventually advised to resubmit all their documents. They were given the go-ahead 24 hours prior to their flight, and are now getting to know their 5-month-old granddaughter.

There is a Facebook group for people in your situation. You may find some very useful advice there:
ijkh likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:33 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Roboto
I would seriously reconsider using El Al unless you are religious. El Al is on a very bad situation and there is very little chance things will remain stable with flight schedules, and things may be cancelled last minute. The worst part is, if it happens, El Al will hold your money without regard for the law.
Depending on the timeline, would a chargeback/disputed charge help here (presuming one is US-based)?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:25 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Depending on the timeline, would a chargeback/disputed charge help here (presuming one is US-based)?
Good point. That topic is being discussed at Elal refunds and credits
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
I am naive in dealing with Israel's bureaucracy. It sounds quite messy trying to visit even though we are allowed. Yikes.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
As expected, Birthright coming back in a big way...

Birthright resuming trips to Israel for vaccinated or recovered US Jews from May

Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by ijkh
I am naive in dealing with Israel's bureaucracy. It sounds quite messy trying to visit even though we are allowed. Yikes.
OT, but your post reminded me of it:

Feb, 1979. My flight arrived at TLV. In those days, of course, there was no such thing as swiping your passport in a machine to enter the country. You had to stand in line. I looked for the shortest line, got into it and soon learned that it was a mistake -- the line barely budged.

There was a young woman who checked your passport (while you finally managed to get to her). When I was third in line, I was able to see and hear her. Not only was she physically repulsive but her personality was even worse than her looks. She was giving everybody a very hard time, asking tons of questions (which I later learned she had no business doing), and when I finally was able to hand her my passport, she asked me what my nationality was. (Apparently my having an American passport did not give her a hint). She then asked why I wanted to enter the country (my A-1 visa as a new immigrant also, apparently, did not tell her anything). Next, she asked me my age. (My birthdate was in my passport.) She asked if I had family or friends in Israel, I told her I did not.

She asked my profession. I said, "Journalist". Then she asked me my marital status. When I told her, "single", she almost froze up, looked carefully through my passport, and I could almost read her mind: Journalist...34-years-old...Jewish...moving to Israel...single...no family or friends in the country.

Her demeanor changed immediately. She managed to put a smile on her face, told me I would have to go to the Jewish Agency Office, but it was difficult to find so she would take me there. With a number of people still waiting in line, she left her booth to guide me. On the way there, she said that being alone in Israel could be very difficult but if I needed any help, I could call her. She wrote her name and her telephone number on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

When she left me at the Jewish Agency Office, my first act was to throw that piece of paper in the trash can.
GUWonder and davidcamp6 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Just pay attention to the paperwork requirements, which (for now at least) are quite burdensome. Hoping they'll go to just proof of immunization. By June 17, when I have a wedding to attend.
We're scheduled to arrive on June 6th..... Paperwork needs to be in no earlier than 3 weeks ahead of time.......
Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
and when I finally was able to hand her my passport, she asked me what my nationality was. (Apparently my having an American passport did not give her a hint). She then asked why I wanted to enter the country (my A-1 visa as a new immigrant also, apparently, did not tell her anything).
But every time you leave Israel they also take your passport, and say your name to you - asking you "Dovster?" reading off the passport. security...
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
But every time you leave Israel they also take your passport, and say your name to you - asking you "Dovster?" reading off the passport. security...
That is in the security check before being allowed to get anywhere near passport control.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:23 am

That is in the security check before being allowed to get anywhere near passport control.
It's not unusual for immigration officers to ask you questions to verify you are indeed the owner of said passport and it isn't a forgery.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
It's not unusual for immigration officers to ask you questions to verify you are indeed the owner of said passport and it isn't a forgery.
And then to give you their telephone number?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:52 am

And then to give you their telephone number?
No, but as you said she was asking everyone a ton of questions.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
OT, but your post reminded me of it:

Feb 1979. My flight arrived at TLV. In those days, of course, there was no such thing as swiping your passport in a machine to enter the country. You had to stand in line. I looked for the shortest line, got into it and soon learned that it was a mistake -- the line barely budged.

There was a young woman who checked your passport (while you finally managed to get to her). When I was third in line, I was able to see and hear her. Not only was she physically repulsive but her personality was even worse than her looks. She was giving everybody a very hard time, asking tons of questions (which I later learned she had no business doing), and when I finally was able to hand her my passport, she asked me what my nationality was. (Apparently, my having an American passport did not give her a hint). She then asked why I wanted to enter the country (my A-1 visa as a new immigrant also, apparently, did not tell her anything). Next, she asked me my age. (My birthdate was in my passport.) She asked if I had family or friends in Israel, I told her I did not.

She asked about my profession. I said, "Journalist". Then she asked me my marital status. When I told her, "single", she almost froze up, looked carefully through my passport, and I could almost read her mind: Journalist...34-years-old...Jewish...moving to Israel...single...no family or friends in the country.

Her demeanour changed immediately. She managed to put a smile on her face, told me I would have to go to the Jewish Agency Office, but it was difficult to find so she would take me there. With a number of people still waiting in line, she left her booth to guide me. On the way there, she said that being alone in Israel could be very difficult but if I needed any help, I could call her. She wrote her name and her telephone number on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

When she left me at the Jewish Agency Office, my first act was to throw that piece of paper in the trash can.
This is incredible HAHAHA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.