Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
Hopefully governments are starting to understand the folly of all this closed border stuff. I'm an American who's been to Israel multiple times and plan to return next year. I'm the one who should have the biggest concern over COVID-19, not the people of the country I plan to visit. Here are things we know:

1) Vaccination doesn't prevent infection. In fact, I have three friends with COVID-19 right now who were all fully vaccinated. They each contracted it from another fully vaccinated person who thought there was no way he could have COVID-19 or be contagious.

2) For all practical purposes, you can't fly internationally without first being tested as COVID-free. That alone makes the tourist a less threatening person than most others on the street.

3) The biggest fear of a tourist is becoming ill while away and then, in the case of COVID-19, not able to get home. Remember, you can't fly to the USA without being tested (and passing) before boarding the flight. Who wants to be stuck in quarantine thousands of miles from home until you're disease-free? It's hard to believe people are going to forge vaccination certificates just to be able to do this. And, frankly, unvaccinated people are by far the least likely to want to travel anywhere.

4) As for the concern of a lying dual citizen Haredi, aren't they only able to get a Green Pass upon arrival at the airport? They would have to have tested negative for them to board their flight in the USA. How would they have left Israel in the first place?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
4) As for the concern of a lying dual citizen Haredi, aren't they only able to get a Green Pass upon arrival at the airport? They would have to have tested negative for them to board their flight in the USA. How would they have left Israel in the first place?
I'm referring to the dual citizen who has not traveled nor been vaccinated. Okay, I have gotten my three jabs but let's assume that I am completely unvaccinated. If I wanted to go into a restaurant all I would need to do is show my American passport and say that I was vaccinated in the States. It would not work if I admitted that I also have Israeli citizenship but anyone pulling this trick would not admit to that.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
I'm referring to the dual citizen who has not traveled nor been vaccinated. Okay, I have gotten my three jabs but let's assume that I am completely unvaccinated. If I wanted to go into a restaurant all I would need to do is show my American passport and say that I was vaccinated in the States. It would not work if I admitted that I also have Israeli citizenship but anyone pulling this trick would not admit to that.
I don't know what's going on around you guys, but over half of the places aren't even bothering to ask to see mine.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Roboto
I don't know what's going on around you guys, but over half of the places aren't even bothering to ask to see mine.
Most of the restaurants that I go to are in the Kiryat Shemona area. It has a fairly high Corona rate (currently Orange) so the restaurants there do ask to see green passes.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MM
I gather that's not how it's supposed to work. Isn't the proposal centered around issuance of a (probably temporary) green pass to arriving non-Israelis at TLV once they produce whatever vaccination documents they're supposed to have? I don't think I've seen anywhere that a US passport functions as a green pass in Israel but maybe I've missed it.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...s-in-question/

Looks like allies may not be allowed in after all.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:12 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
Let's keep to the topic of travel to Israel and take the discussion of restaurant access, whether or not the border policy is to your liking, and other ancillary topics to OMNI or a more appropriate forum.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Moderator, EL AL Forum
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by davidcamp6

Not as of Nov. 1, but then farther down in the article it seems to suggest that will change later in the month. Of course, who knows. I'm hoping to be able to come in January - it would be nice if some clarity would emerge over the next few weeks.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Not as of Nov. 1, but then farther down in the article it seems to suggest that will change later in the month. Of course, who knows. I'm hoping to be able to come in January - it would be nice if some clarity would emerge over the next few weeks.
I'm also in the 'hopeful for January' boat.

I have 3 doses and digital proof of vaccination. Not sure what else I can do as an American.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Seby12

I have 3 doses and digital proof of vaccination. Not sure what else I can do as an American.
I'm in a similar boat.
I will miss a wedding on November 7th, but hopefully will be able to visit in January or February.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'm hoping to be able to come in January
Originally Posted by Seby12
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
I'm in a similar boat.
I will miss a wedding on November 7th, but hopefully will be able to visit in January or February.
If we get enough people who will be here in January, I will be happy to start a thread on Community Buzz for a lunchtime Do anywhere north of Tel Aviv.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
If we get enough people who will be here in January, I will be happy to start a thread on Community Buzz for a lunchtime Do anywhere north of Tel Aviv.
I'm in! I'm hoping to do an ulpan in Haifa, so if that comes together I'll be (relatively) close to you.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
I'm in!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by davidcamp6

I've visited Israel more than 40 times, and I'd really like to take my family on another visit as soon as possible. But realistically speaking, what's outlined in this article does not give much promise for the future.

In Europe, the only people that have received a third dose are basically the very old and very fragile, and many of them are afraid of even leaving their own homes, let alone traveling internationally. A large portion of potential travelers received their second dose between May-August. These plans would mean that many of them would be ineligible to enter from the very beginning, and the rest would be ineligible within less than three months after the borders have been "opened." Most employees need more time than that to plan for and apply for a vacation.

And then I wonder if they're seriously planning the following:

Additionally, the Tourism Ministry was said to be drawing up plans for vaccinated tour groups to enter Israel even if they do not meet the requirements for latest dose date. Under that framework, some 1,000 travelers would be permitted to enter Israel per day, but would need to take rapid antigen tests at the entrance to tourism sites.
I've visited Israel with large tour groups of up to 900 people, I've been a tour leader myself of smaller groups of up to 25 people, and we've typically visited between 5-10 tourism sites per day. It doesn't specify if these are nasal or spit tests, but if nasal, it would mean that these people would need to have things showed up their noses 60-70 times on a 10-day trip. I'd venture to guess that most groups would prefer a bit more of Gan Eden and a bit less of Hinnom Valley on their tour.

Edited to add: With a pre-departure test, a test on arrival, tests for each tourism site, and a test for the flight back home, a tour group of 50 people are looking at north of 3,000 tests in total. The risk of at least one false positive is substantial. What would happen in that case? Would that person be taken by ambulance or taxi to the hotel and required to isolate for 10 days, or would the entire group have to isolate for 10 days, resulting in a missed return flight?

Last edited by RedChili; Oct 14, 2021 at 2:31 am
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:59 am

I've applied to enter in- didnt hear back, canceling my plans as of now. Maybe they'll respond back to my application(s) closer to the flight, but between the amount of pre-departure work that needs to be done, plus tests when you land, and then waiting for them to "find" the results or whatever excuse- to get out of isolation- its really onerous
In the meantime, Israelis are traveling everywhere - in and out no problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.