Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: When is Israel likely to open its borders?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
From today's Times of Israel:

Israelis are now barred from flying to Spain due to country's morbidity levels

Israel's government cabinet ruled on Friday that all arrivals from Britain, Cyprus, Georgia and Turkey must enter a full 14-day quarantine period

In addition, Spain and Kyrgyzstan will be added to a no-flight list, which already includes Uzbekistan, Argentina, Belarus, Brazil, South Africa, India, Mexico and Russia.

Starting Friday, incoming travelers from all other destinations will have to self-isolate for 24 hours or until receiving a negative coronavirus test.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:13 pm

And, today, things were tightened even more. From the Jerusalem Post:

Vaccinated tourists will not be allowed to enter Israel on August 1, as had been previously planned, Health Ministry Director-General Prof. Nachman Ash said Sunday, also announcing that the authorities will discuss measures to restrict all travel.
“We are postponing the date for the entry of tourists; it is not going to happen on August 1,” he said, adding that a new date has not been set. “Unfortunately, the current situation does not permit us to allow tourists to enter.”
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: Kveller Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
The reality is that Israel doesn't want any passengers to bring in the virus, if they can avoid it, the state also wants to curtail Israelis bringing it in, but, quite rightly,they have to let in their own citizens.. On a personal basis that is sad, however I don't disagree with the policy. Spain is also on the list for "red" status. I think that many governments are too scared and others are too lax. ELAL needs a government who can appreciate a balance. But they are not alone..
I feel for the French nationals who cannot claim to have a first relative..During the first and second Intifada Brits and Yanks didn't fly to Israel. I was embarrassed. by the lack of my countrymen and women who were not on flights. But the French always came.
Now Eretz seems to close it borders without a nuance that reflects real risk
Very good analysis, I share your views. Our country has the capabilities but politically struggles to be effective with "balance"
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:38 pm

It is frustrating. I normally spend 45% of the year in Israel. However, I’m not Israeli and my only relatives are not first degree. (I have no living first degree relatives) I never stoped during intifadas, wars and everything else. Yet now…
worldiswide likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:08 pm

From today's Jerusalem Post:

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) raised concerns on Monday about the rising number of COVID-19 cases in Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, lifting its travel health notice to "Level 3: High.

In June, the CDC had lowered its travel advisory rating for Israel to "Level 1: Low." The "Level 3" rating says unvaccinated travelers should avoid nonessential travel to Israel and is one level below the CDC's most severe travel rating.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Dovster
This STEP Notification arrived today:
Reconsider Travel to Israel due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Israel due to terrorism and civil unrest.

Do not travel to the West Bank due to COVID-19, travel restrictions and quarantine procedures instituted by the Palestinian Authority. Exercise increased caution when traveling to the West Bank due to terrorism and civil unrest. Do not travel to Gaza due to COVID-19, terrorism, civil unrest, and armed conflict.

Some areas have increased risk. Read the county information page and this entire Travel Advisory.

Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Israel due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC's specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.

Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 and related restrictions and conditions in Israel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for the West Bank due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC's specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.

Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 and related restrictions and conditions in the West Bank.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Gaza due to COVID-19, indicating a high level of COVID-19. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC's specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.

Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 and related restrictions and conditions in Gaza.

Terrorist groups and lone-wolf terrorists continue plotting possible attacks in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and local government facilities. Violence can occur in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza without warning. There has been a marked increase in demonstrations throughout Israel, some with little or no warning.

West Bank: U.S. government travel throughout the West Bank is extremely limited. Visit our website for Travel to High Risk Areas.

Gaza: The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Gaza as U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling there and are restricted from traveling close to the Gaza demarcation line. Hamas, a U.S. government-designated foreign terrorist organization, controls the security infrastructure in Gaza. The security environment within Gaza and on its borders is dangerous and volatile. Sporadic mortar or rocket fire and corresponding Israeli military responses may occur at any time. During periods of unrest or armed conflict, the crossings between Gaza with Israel and Egypt may be closed.

Visit our website for Travel to High Risk Areas.

If you decide to travel to Israel and/or the West Bank:
  • See the U.S. Embassy's COVID-19 page.
  • Visit the CDC's webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
  • Have a plan to depart Israel and the West Bank, which does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
  • Carry additional supplies of necessary medication in carry-on luggage due to quarantine restrictions.
  • Check the most recent Alerts at the Embassy website for the latest information on travel in all of these areas.
  • Maintain a high degree of situational awareness and exercise caution at all times, especially at checkpoints and other areas with a significant presence of security forces.
  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
  • Follow the instructions of security and emergency response officials.
  • Beware of and report suspicious activities, including unattended items, to local police.
  • Learn the location of the nearest bomb shelter or other hardened shelter. Download the Home Front Command Red Alert application for mobile devices to receive real time alerts for rocket attacks.
  • Obtain comprehensive travel medical insurance that includes medical evacuation prior to travel. Most travel insurance packages do not cover mental health related illnesses/care.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) Crime and Safety Report for Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler's Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 3:14 pm

im guessing that sadly they wont open up in September.
Maybe October depending on how things are once school resume
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I think that they don't want masses flying to Uman in September, so it will be hard to open up Israel's borders to tourists while (somehow) barring the mass flights to Uman. Gut says they'll want the chagim to pass and beginning of schoolyear to pass and then look to open up. But honestly, after a year and a half, that's a coin toss at this point. I'm assuming even the PM and HM themselves don't know.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I think that they don't want masses flying to Uman in September, so it will be hard to open up Israel's borders to tourists while (somehow) barring the mass flights to Uman. Gut says they'll want the chagim to pass and beginning of schoolyear to pass and then look to open up. But honestly, after a year and a half, that's a coin toss at this point. I'm assuming even the PM and HM themselves don't know.
I concur.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I think Ukraine has completely vaxxed like 6% of their population...which is not very high.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 3:06 am

The country again has a case infection rate above the United States. I'm not sure keeping visitors out is really doing much to keep this low - strikes me that (like in many countries) policy is being made up on the fly with a lack of clear rationale or established metrics (although some in the Health Ministry might say the metric needs to be near zero, which isn't going to happen anytime soon).

18 months into this, I'm also very surprised the Tourism Ministry's website doesn't have any sort of clear statement directed at international visitors on the status - just a link to the Health Ministry's (domestic) policies. Rather pathetic, really.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by makin'miles
The country again has a case infection rate above the United States. I'm not sure keeping visitors out is really doing much to keep this low - strikes me that (like in many countries) policy is being made up on the fly with a lack of clear rationale or established metrics (although some in the Health Ministry might say the metric needs to be near zero, which isn't going to happen anytime soon).

18 months into this, I'm also very surprised the Tourism Ministry's website doesn't have any sort of clear statement directed at international visitors on the status - just a link to the Health Ministry's (domestic) policies. Rather pathetic, really.
Seems to me that its no different then most other Countrys. I have friends that booked trips only for the Country to either reinstate quarantine or close again to tourists. Between the 2 I prefer Israels being overly cautious. I take it your against The Us as well, since the UK says it will open up for Americans yet The Feds still say no to The English being allowed in and wouldnt surprise me at the rate Delta is hittin gIsrael if they stop allowing Israelis to enter as well
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
One of the problems is the lack of updates from the relevant ministry. Although there have been mistakes made here in the UK, at least we have scheduled updates as to the status of travel so that both the industry and individuals can plan as best they can.
With the original date of July 1st put back to August 1st, then shelved, it appears that no-one knows when the next update as to policy is to be announced. This is poor organisation. If the borders are to remain shut, that's fine, but no-one knows. Hotels can't budget, food and other resources can't be ordered in advance....its just a mess. I have cancelled flights, hotels and other bookings, it is unfortunate for both the consumer and the business and although certainty can't be guaranteed, at least an announcement on a regular basis would allow a reasonable expectation so that plans can be made.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:08 am

@craz, indeed the UK has made a mess of it as well (why on earth are Americans allowed in when Canada has less than 10% of their case load population adjusted and isn’t allowed in?).

Israel announced about six weeks back that the July 1 would move to August 1 - since then no official update on any Israeli government site. I mean, do better…

The last months have not seen Israel be particularly cautious either. Hundreds of thousands of travellers coming and going with no quarantine at all.

The EU has been far more clear and metrics based.

Last edited by makin'miles; Aug 4, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:10 am

The severe travel warning for 18 additional countries including the US, France, Italy, France, Germany, Greece has been delayed by several days following a decision in the Health Ministry. Although the ruling was supposed to come into effect this coming Friday, it has been delayed until Wednesday, August 11.

Starting from August 11, all travelers entering Israel from the affected countries are going to be required to isolate for a minimum of seven days even if they are fully vaccinated or recovered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.