Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Flying LY under AA number - will I get points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond

Hi all
I am purchasing an AA ticket which has 2 segments on LY metal and 4 segments on AA metal.

All segments are with AA prefix.

Question is - can I get points on the 2 LY flights with LY FF number? I.e. can I put my LY number on the 2 LY segments and my AA number on the 4 AA segments ?

Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ysmisc
Hi all
I am purchasing an AA ticket which has 2 segments on LY metal and 4 segments on AA metal.

All segments are with AA prefix.

Question is - can I get points on the 2 LY flights with LY FF number? I.e. can I put my LY number on the 2 LY segments and my AA number on the 4 AA segments ?

Thanks
I wish I had a direct answer for you- did you book your flight on one of the carriers websites? The reason I ask is b/c you should be able to log into each of the carriers, manage your flight, and enter in your points program for that specific airline. Trying logging into the ELAL website with the confirmation number, and see if it shows up with just the 2 flights segments- if so- you should be able to get el al to apply your matmid card. Otherwise, I think it might just default to your AA program.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simba8
I wish I had a direct answer for you- did you book your flight on one of the carriers websites? The reason I ask is b/c you should be able to log into each of the carriers, manage your flight, and enter in your points program for that specific airline. Trying logging into the ELAL website with the confirmation number, and see if it shows up with just the 2 flights segments- if so- you should be able to get el al to apply your matmid card. Otherwise, I think it might just default to your AA program.
Through AA
I see my AA number attached to the 4 AA segments but I cannot add my LY number to the 2 LY segment.
Will I be able to do this (assign my LY number to ONLY the 2 LY segments) at the airport?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I once booked a round trip flight from Tel Aviv to Kiev, the way to Kiev was with Elal Up, direct, and the return was with Royal Jordanian, via Amman. I booked it through an OTA, and, there were 2 ticket numbers, a 114 stock for the outbound, and a 512 for the return with RJ. However, the check-my-trip (Amadeus) Reservation code was the same, and when I put my Reservation code into myflightsapp.com to add to my record, It showed both flights under the same Reservation code.
When I booked the ticket on the OTA, I entered my LY FF. This showed up also on the RJ segments.
Then, when I logged into my booking on RJ.com, I changed it to my RJ number, and this updated it also to the ElAl segments.
Not sure how relevant this is...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
I once booked a round trip flight from Tel Aviv to Kiev, the way to Kiev was with Elal Up, direct, and the return was with Royal Jordanian, via Amman. I booked it through an OTA, and, there were 2 ticket numbers, a 114 stock for the outbound, and a 512 for the return with RJ. However, the check-my-trip (Amadeus) Reservation code was the same, and when I put my Reservation code into myflightsapp.com to add to my record, It showed both flights under the same Reservation code.
When I booked the ticket on the OTA, I entered my LY FF. This showed up also on the RJ segments.
Then, when I logged into my booking on RJ.com, I changed it to my RJ number, and this updated it also to the ElAl segments.
Not sure how relevant this is...
LOL, it's the wonders of airlines websites and their interaction with GDS systems
There is nothing preventing you from having more than one FFP in the reservation, I had it once with a mix of VN and TG and the miles got accredited correctly, it was booked via expedia and I think I had to use TG website to put in my TK FFP number, and expedia website to put in my FB number for the VN segment, can it get more complicated than that?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
OW gives credit on code shares instead of metal (like *A).
If not a code share flight then the answer should be no:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
http://www.wheretocredit.com/el-al-israel-airlines
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
You can try requesting the LY PNR from AA, and then using that to find your reservation on LY and add your Matmid#
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by joshwex90
You can try requesting the LY PNR from AA, and then using that to find your reservation on LY and add your Matmid#
LY will also find you this if you call and tell them your flight details so they'll find you on the flight.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benberg2013
LY will also find you this if you call and tell them your flight details so they'll find you on the flight.
I am worried that if I do that they will set it also on the AA segments . Is there any way to check the FF assigned to EACH segment? I do not see this information on either AA or LY website

There was also another suggestion. Leave the LY sectors with no FF number. And after the flights ask for retro points from LY on the 2 sectors.

What do you think?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you even earn Matmid points on AA flights? I doubt they would set the number for AA.

Another option, instead of retro credit, is to request at the gate they add your number to the individual segments. If you're not looking for advance Matmid benefits and only care about the points earned, this seems the best, and least hassle, option
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Can you even earn Matmid points on AA flights? I doubt they would set the number for AA.

Another option, instead of retro credit, is to request at the gate they add your number to the individual segments. If you're not looking for advance Matmid benefits and only care about the points earned, this seems the best, and least hassle, option
The problem with that is that from my experience the workers at the gate do not always know how to add the FF number to a specific segment. I asked this once before and they changed the FF number on ALL segments of the trip and did not know how to fix it.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whenever I add for specific segments, I have always checked at each segment. One time they did screw something up, but that was fine because before each segment, I had the GA confirm the right number associated with the flight, and if not, to switch.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Whenever I add for specific segments, I have always checked at each segment. One time they did screw something up, but that was fine because before each segment, I had the GA confirm the right number associated with the flight, and if not, to switch.
Thanks
GA means Gate Attendant?
Do you mean that u check at the gate before each segment?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysmisc
Thanks
NP!

GA means Gate Attendant?
Indeed

Do you mean that u check at the gate before each segment?
When I make changes, yes. I don't do so on every flight I take. This has mostly happened when flying LY/AA flights. I once flew LY and BA on the same reservation and wanted my LY# on the LY flights and BA# on the BA flights. As I had BA status but no LY status, I ensured my BA# was associated before the flight to get whatever benefits (seat selection or luggage, don't even remember at this point) and at the gate, added whatever number to that segment. Before each segment, at the gate, confirmed the correct number was associated with that flight, and if not, fixed it.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:35 am
Original Poster

NP!

Indeed

When I make changes, yes. I don't do so on every flight I take. This has mostly happened when flying LY/AA flights. I once flew LY and BA on the same reservation and wanted my LY# on the LY flights and BA# on the BA flights. As I had BA status but no LY status, I ensured my BA# was associated before the flight to get whatever benefits (seat selection or luggage, don't even remember at this point) and at the gate, added whatever number to that segment. Before each segment, at the gate, confirmed the correct number was associated with that flight, and if not, fixed it.
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.