Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY and AA shrink codeshare agreement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LY and AA shrink codeshare agreement

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Another possibility. None are too pleasing.
As much as we rag on LY, I'm not so keen on flying RJ to AMM in order to book QR via DOH :O
Safety concerns?
When I had my 12 hrs in AMM, they put us up in the airport hotel w/ meal vouchers. Since I couldn't eat the food, I requested a beer, totally forgetting that a few yards away, men were gathering for the feast at the end of each Ramadan day. Suffice to say that I didn't drink a beer outside that day.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Nekamah7
Safety concerns?
When I had my 12 hrs in AMM, they put us up in the airport hotel w/ meal vouchers. Since I couldn't eat the food, I requested a beer, totally forgetting that a few yards away, men were gathering for the feast at the end of each Ramadan day. Suffice to say that I didn't drink a beer outside that day.
A whole suite of concerns. I'm sure that if I never leave the airplane or airport, I'll be fine from a safety perspective.
But there are many European airports where I am now uncomfortable putting tefillin on. DOH?

People are free to do what they want, and I'm not looking to convince someone here NOT to fly QR, but at the same time, I don't want someone trying to convince me to... I do not feel so comfortable flying the state-owned airline of a country supporting the destruction of the country I live in.

And I've flown RJ. I prefer the food and service on LY. At least if it's a new plane, it should be a decent hard product. Though I'll miss the homey feeling of LY (and likely better food)
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nekamah7
Good to see they're updating the product. Flew them to BKK ex-TLV and the seat was mediocre, and the kosher food was terrible.
Yes, RJ has come a long way - both in terms of aircraft and employee training - over the past few years. And the new terminal at AMM is certainly much nicer than the old.

RJ's standard fare is Halal which largely (though not totally) follows the same dietary restrictions as Kosher. Perhaps next time, just order the vegetarian or Hindu meal. Or do what I do: I always plan on airline food being either inedible or insufficient - regardless of airline - and bring my own food. A jar of peanut butter and a banana can certainly hold one over no matter how long the flight.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Indelaware
RJ's standard fare is Halal which largely (though not totally) follows the same dietary restrictions as Kosher.
The ONLY area where Halal and kosher meet is that both prohibit pig products. Mixing milk and meat is a far more serious breach of kashrut than eating pig, but it is permitted in Halal. Shellfish are prohibited in kosher (same level of seriousness as pig) as is camel (camel milk is very common in the Gulf States). The list is very long.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikebg
The ONLY area where Halal and kosher meet is that both prohibit pig products. Mixing milk and meat is a far more serious breach of kashrut than eating pig, but it is permitted in Halal. Shellfish are prohibited in kosher (same level of seriousness as pig) as is camel (camel milk is very common in the Gulf States). The list is very long.
Kosher is almost always Halal*. Halal is more likely not Kosher than it is Kosher

*Kosher can be not Halal when using the strict definition. Also, Kosher can cook with alcohol. And some (Israeli Rabbinate) permit the use of pig gelatin in certain candies (yes, this is the case, even if it sounds crazy). Not the case with Halal
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Kosher is almost always Halal*. Halal is more likely not Kosher than it is Kosher
The Hermolis factory in London is certified glatt kosher (by Kedassia - a high level kasrut authority) and also has a Halal logo on the packaging.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mikebg
Mixing milk and meat is a far more serious breach of kashrut than eating pig, but it is permitted in Halal.

Last edited by LatusElAl; Sep 29, 2014 at 8:52 am Reason: Stand corrected - thus deleted.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LatusElAl
Not quite sure you are right about that.
Pig - and other "impure" animals as delineated in the Torah - are considered a prohibition "D'oraitah" - which means, literally, from God Himself.
I am pretty certain that mixing milk and meat, while universally accepted from time immemorial as completely forbidden, is a rabbinic prohibition deduced from a verse in the Torah.
In practice, all the same - but there is a significant legal differential.
Note - that I could very well be completely wrong about the nature of the milk+meat prohibition.
This is completely OT (and I hope this gets moved to Religious Travelers if needed but not deleted, as the Kosher/Halal discussion is important on FT for travelers) but:
Milk/meat is Biblical as well, not Rabbinic. The difference is that pig is spelled out in the Bible whereas milk/meat is interpreted by the Rabbis through exegesis (i.e. Oral Torah, not Written Torah).
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: *A
LatjsElAl could be referring to the separation of milk and meat which is Rabbinic of nature. As Josh says, eating (and cooking) meat (as opposed to poultry) and milk is Biblical in origin.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
OK. I stand corrected. I will delete so nobody gets confused.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
A long way from the topic of Halal vs Kosher, but I managed to snag a r/t J seat NYC-TLV departing late June returning mid-July using Aadvantage points. Hopefully AA will resolve whatever remains from the TWA bankruptcy and be able to fly AA metal into TLV. Hope those JFK-TLV rumors are true.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by nsoltz
Hopefully AA will resolve whatever remains from the TWA bankruptcy and be able to fly AA metal into TLV. Hope those JFK-TLV rumors are true.
Any updates on what settlement, if any, AA and the former TW employees made?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Put on hold just now the following flight for 5 ppl

TLV - LAX - SEA - KOA in Y
TLV - HKG - SGN in J
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:26 pm

Faced with the loss of AA, LY has done what, IMO, a smart thing. They have filed for permission to code-share with B6.

http://worldairlinenews.com/2014/09/...-to-codeshare/
http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix....654&highlight=

B6 and LY established interline ticketing in 2010, today's action, if approved, will build on that. (B6 has a very limited number of interline ticketing agreements.)

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix....cle&ID=1450835

Although no mention is made of frequent flier benefits, IMO, it is likely that one will be able to earn B6 miles for code-shared LY flights and visa-versa.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ELY001
Any updates on what settlement, if any, AA and the former TW employees made?
Read §§416-417 in Private International Law in Israel By Talia Einhorn

The case was Ezra Berman v Trans World Airlines, Inc., Tel Aviv District Court 1225/01, 2001(1) 29448. A related case was Insolvency Case - Trans World Airlines 2005(4) 10352.

In a nutshell, the Israeli court ordered that any assets that TWA still had in Israel (real estate, ground equipment, parts and ticket revenue) were to be liquidated and the proceeds kept in Israel and used to pay the preferred claims of the local employees.

Any value of these assets in excess of the preferred claims was to be turned over to the TWA bankruptcy trustee in the United States.

I doubt that anything was turned to the US bankruptcy trustee, as the Israeli employees claim to have received only about 14 cents on the dollar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.