Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

LY and AA shrink codeshare agreement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LY and AA shrink codeshare agreement

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Plat
Couldn't you use them for an IB ticket between TLV and BKK or from TLV to New York?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by joshwex90
And there goes my plan to fly TLV-BKK in C on LY using AA miles next year!

What do I do with all my AA miles that I saved up, specifically for that purpose??
You can still book it right now if you have the miles and you know the dates.

If you're short on miles, but not by much, it would probably make sense to buy the amount you need.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by ELY001
Couldn't you use them for an IB ticket between TLV and BKK or from TLV to New York?
AAdvantage does not allow you to route from TLV to BKK via Europe. So the first option is out, even if IB has a published fare on this route. TLV-NYC is of course very much ok, and one would have many other options with AAdvantage miles.

Given TLV situation, AAdvantage really limited TLV-based members if and when they want to fly east. RJ is pretty much the only option.

Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ELY001
Not looking to do TLV-NYC. Specifically looking at TLV-BKK.

Would AA allow me to book TLV-Europe-BKK-Europe-BKK for 60K in C, or not since it leaves Asia?

Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
You can still book it right now if you have the miles and you know the dates.

If you're short on miles, but not by much, it would probably make sense to buy the amount you need.
Dates are for November 2015. Flights must be finished by October 31, 2015.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:53 am

Would AA allow me to book TLV-Europe-BKK-Europe-BKK for 60K in C, or not since it leaves Asia?
You won't be allowed to route through Europe on either direction.

Without LY, flying TLV-BKK on a one-way award is only possible with RJ (one connection) or a combination of RJ and QR (two connections).

As I mentioned before, I do hope that AAdvantage would consider making an exception for TLV in this issue because in the new reality all routes to the east have the same bottleneck of availability on TLV-AMM. AAdvantage should either make an exception or classify Israel as part of Europe.

Dates are for November 2015. Flights must be finished by October 31, 2015.
Oh, sorry.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You won't be allowed to route through Europe on either direction.

Without LY, flying TLV-BKK on a one-way award is only possible with RJ (one connection) or a combination of RJ and QR (two connections).

As I mentioned before, I do hope that AAdvantage would consider making an exception for TLV in this issue because in the new reality all routes to the east have the same bottleneck of availability on TLV-AMM. AAdvantage should either make an exception of classify Israel as part of Europe now.

Oh, sorry.
I could do TLV-AMM-DOH-BKK on RJ/QR. Don't think I would be too happy or comfortable with that though.

Maybe I'll give AA a call and see what they suggest
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:13 am

I could do TLV-AMM-DOH-BKK on RJ/QR. Don't think I would be too happy or comfortable with that though.

Yes, you should contact AAdvantage, but don't get your hopes up.
According to the existing routing rules you can do TLV-AMM-BKK or TLV-AMM-DOH-BKK and that's it.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

I've flown TLV-AMM-BKK on RJ before. I arrived in the same time it would have taken to fly TLV-BKK and I flew on a much nicer plane.

I still prefer TLV-BKK on the LY 747 upstairs.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: All of 'em
Yes, you should contact AAdvantage, but don't get your hopes up.
According to the existing routing rules you can do TLV-AMM-BKK or TLV-AMM-DOH-BKK and that's it.
When I checked last year, some of the Gulf airlines had published fares ex-TLV, in which case you could book w/ AA miles (assuming no MPM restrictions are violated).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I've flown TLV-AMM-BKK on RJ before. I arrived in the same time it would have taken to fly TLV-BKK and I flew on a much nicer plane.

I still prefer TLV-BKK on the LY 747 upstairs.
RJ will start to operate their new 787-8 on the route to BKK in mid-October. It will continue to HKG. See here.

It will be 2X2X2 in business class, but I think lie-flat seats. See more information and some catalog pictures here.

RJ's 787-8 is already on service to LHR, so it's another decent option for travel from the UK back to Israel if trying to avoid BA's fuel-surcharge.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:41 am

Gonna book TLV-SGN or s/w else in Asia for next summer.
Any recommondations for an Asia city w/ young children besides Thailand (been there) and Bali (no flights on my dates)?

Will be continuing on to the US from there before heading back to the US (flying LY metal w/ AA miles).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:42 am

RJ will start to operate their new 787-8 on the route to BKK in mid-October. It will continue to HKG. See here.

It will be 2X2X2 in business class, but I think lie-flat seats. See more information and some catalog pictures here.

RJ's 787-8 is already on service to LHR, so it's another decent option for travel from the UK back to Israel if trying to avoid BA's fuel-surcharge.
Good to see they're updating the product. Flew them to BKK ex-TLV and the seat was mediocre, and the kosher food was terrible.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nekamah7
When I checked last year, some of the Gulf airlines had published fares ex-TLV, in which case you could book w/ AA miles (assuming no MPM restrictions are violated).
Whether or not they publish the fare, as long as I can book TLV-AMM, shouldn't I be able to book AMM-wherever?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:52 am

Whether or not they publish the fare, as long as I can book TLV-AMM, shouldn't I be able to book AMM-wherever?
CMIIW, but only if the operating carrier publishes a fare.
So RJ likely would, but Etihad and Qatar, not as simple.
You could always fly to AMM on your own dime, and then book on any of these airlines.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nekamah7
CMIIW, but only if the operating carrier publishes a fare.
So RJ likely would, but Etihad and Qatar, not as simple.
You could always fly to AMM on your own dime, and then book on any of these airlines.
Another possibility. None are too pleasing.
As much as we rag on LY, I'm not so keen on flying RJ to AMM in order to book QR via DOH :O

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.