TLV-LAX trip report in JPost

Old Oct 11, 10, 2:14 am
  #1  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,149
TLV-LAX trip report in JPost

http://www.jpost.com/Travel/TravelNe...aspx?id=190804

It isn't a very good report in my opinion. Not enough interesting details.
yosithezet is offline  
Old Oct 11, 10, 2:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Israel (some of the time)
Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Posts: 2,054
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
http://www.jpost.com/Travel/TravelNe...aspx?id=190804

It isn't a very good report in my opinion. Not enough interesting details.
What's really missing are more details about Bar
economyman is offline  
Old Oct 11, 10, 3:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Posts: 1,598
I laughed my way through breakfast while reading this article this morning. Geez, judging by the way he was "starstruck" by LY C, he doesn't get around much for CEO of a large Travel Agency
damaxer91 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 10, 6:10 am
  #4  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by damaxer91 View Post
I laughed my way through breakfast while reading this article this morning. Geez, judging by the way he was "starstruck" by LY C, he doesn't get around much for CEO of a large Travel Agency
He is a very successful CEO. I know many people that use Zion Tours and they are good. But I guess that they don't typically test the product as much as other travel agents I am aware of here on FT.
yosithezet is offline  
Old Oct 11, 10, 8:07 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Posts: 1,598
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
He is a very successful CEO. I know many people that use Zion Tours and they are good. But I guess that they don't typically test the product as much as other travel agents I am aware of here on FT.
Speaking of which, How come nobody ever started an Israel "My Travel Agent is better than yours" thread? I've got a really good Jerusalem based one. Feel free to PM me for his info
damaxer91 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 10, 3:40 am
  #6  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by damaxer91 View Post
Speaking of which, How come nobody ever started an Israel "My Travel Agent is better than yours" thread? I've got a really good Jerusalem based one. Feel free to PM me for his info
Because most of us have travel coordinators/customers who take care of our travel. We don't really have much choice or ability to shop around. Our companies take care of that for us. I'm guessing that is true of 90% of the frequent posters in this LY forum.
yosithezet is offline  
Old Oct 13, 10, 12:34 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,382
El Al, no longer a national carrier with state subsidies, and forced to compete vigorously with dozens of airlines flying the route, has now been able to finance new aircraft.
I don't know any other carriers that fly LAX-TLV, let alone dozens.
entropy is offline  
Old Oct 13, 10, 12:42 am
  #8  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I don't know any other carriers that fly LAX-TLV, let alone dozens.
He's probably thinking direct (with stopovers) whereas you are thinking non-stop.
yosithezet is offline  
Old Oct 13, 10, 1:56 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,382
He's probably thinking direct (with stopovers) whereas you are thinking non-stop.
its not the same thing from a competitive standpoint.

if LY was offering connecting service through YYZ that is competitive with a connection on LH thru FRA. LY offering a N/S is a better flight, full stop.
entropy is offline  
Old Oct 13, 10, 3:44 am
  #10  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,149
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
its not the same thing from a competitive standpoint.

if LY was offering connecting service through YYZ that is competitive with a connection on LH thru FRA. LY offering a N/S is a better flight, full stop.
I'll disagree with your full stop. It depends upon your priorities. I know of one of his customers who are very price sensitive. They would much rather take a connection through Prague than a non-stop flight to save $400 per ticket. What is best for you is not necessarily the best for someone else. One person wants convenience and another wants service and another wants the lowest price regardless of comfort.
yosithezet is offline  
Old Oct 13, 10, 12:35 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,382
I know of one of his customers who are very price sensitive. They would much rather take a connection through Prague than a non-stop flight to save $400 per ticket. What is best for you is not necessarily the best for someone else. One person wants convenience and another wants service and another wants the lowest price regardless of comfort.
most corporate travel policies prioritize employee time over price, which is part of why nonstops tend to be more expensive than connections. LY isn't going to make it catering to the bargain basement travelers. With the plethora of large network airlines, you can get from almost any major city to almost any other major city with 1-2 connections, so the notion that its somehow competitive with "existing" service is silly.
entropy is offline  
Old Oct 20, 10, 7:56 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 13,044
I was also interested for details about Bar. Otherwise, don't include her in the title!!

As for competition, I'd have to agree with entropy on this. Once you begin to include stopovers, every airline has competition on numerous routes. CO for example has a direct flight (CO91) from TLV-LAX. It's via EWR, and it includes a change in equipment. So is that really direct competition to LY's nonstop route?
It's true that people could decide to do the stopover instead of the nonstop, but that doesn't explain his point, which sounds as though he's saying, since LY is no longer a national carrier, they are now forced to compete vigerously, but when LY was still a national carrier, no one else flew that route. That's just not true.
joshwex90 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 10, 9:25 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Israel
Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Posts: 983
Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
I was also interested for details about Bar. Otherwise, don't include her in the title!!
I can tell you that i was seating with her in F few months ago, And that
i was not that impressed, comparing reality to posters - Someone is doing
a lot of photoshop on her....
ebzed is offline  
Old Oct 20, 10, 10:47 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HaMerkaz/Exit 145
Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Posts: 13,044
Originally Posted by ebzed View Post
I can tell you that i was seating with her in F few months ago, And that
i was not that impressed, comparing reality to posters - Someone is doing
a lot of photoshop on her....
Lol somehow I'm not surprised. I'm not her biggest fan, (or even a fan at all really, although she still is pretty good-looking,) but if you're going to mention her in the title, talk about her in the article!
joshwex90 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread