FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   TLV-LAX trip report in JPost (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1135364-tlv-lax-trip-report-jpost.html)

yosithezet Oct 11, 2010 1:14 am

TLV-LAX trip report in JPost

http://www.jpost.com/Travel/TravelNe...aspx?id=190804

It isn't a very good report in my opinion. Not enough interesting details.

economyman Oct 11, 2010 1:30 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 14922339)
http://www.jpost.com/Travel/TravelNe...aspx?id=190804

It isn't a very good report in my opinion. Not enough interesting details.

What's really missing are more details about Bar :D

damaxer91 Oct 11, 2010 2:45 am

I laughed my way through breakfast while reading this article this morning. Geez, judging by the way he was "starstruck" by LY C, he doesn't get around much for CEO of a large Travel Agency

yosithezet Oct 11, 2010 5:10 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91 (Post 14922547)
I laughed my way through breakfast while reading this article this morning. Geez, judging by the way he was "starstruck" by LY C, he doesn't get around much for CEO of a large Travel Agency

He is a very successful CEO. I know many people that use Zion Tours and they are good. But I guess that they don't typically test the product as much as other travel agents I am aware of here on FT.

damaxer91 Oct 11, 2010 7:07 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 14922832)
He is a very successful CEO. I know many people that use Zion Tours and they are good. But I guess that they don't typically test the product as much as other travel agents I am aware of here on FT.

Speaking of which, How come nobody ever started an Israel "My Travel Agent is better than yours" thread? I've got a really good Jerusalem based one. Feel free to PM me for his info

yosithezet Oct 12, 2010 2:40 am

Originally Posted by damaxer91 (Post 14923172)
Speaking of which, How come nobody ever started an Israel "My Travel Agent is better than yours" thread? I've got a really good Jerusalem based one. Feel free to PM me for his info

Because most of us have travel coordinators/customers who take care of our travel. We don't really have much choice or ability to shop around. Our companies take care of that for us. I'm guessing that is true of 90% of the frequent posters in this LY forum.

entropy Oct 12, 2010 11:34 pm

El Al, no longer a national carrier with state subsidies, and forced to compete vigorously with dozens of airlines flying the route, has now been able to finance new aircraft.
I don't know any other carriers that fly LAX-TLV, let alone dozens.

yosithezet Oct 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 14936078)
I don't know any other carriers that fly LAX-TLV, let alone dozens.

He's probably thinking direct (with stopovers) whereas you are thinking non-stop.

entropy Oct 13, 2010 12:56 am

He's probably thinking direct (with stopovers) whereas you are thinking non-stop.
its not the same thing from a competitive standpoint.

if LY was offering connecting service through YYZ that is competitive with a connection on LH thru FRA. LY offering a N/S is a better flight, full stop.

yosithezet Oct 13, 2010 2:44 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 14936267)
its not the same thing from a competitive standpoint.

if LY was offering connecting service through YYZ that is competitive with a connection on LH thru FRA. LY offering a N/S is a better flight, full stop.

I'll disagree with your full stop. It depends upon your priorities. I know of one of his customers who are very price sensitive. They would much rather take a connection through Prague than a non-stop flight to save $400 per ticket. What is best for you is not necessarily the best for someone else. One person wants convenience and another wants service and another wants the lowest price regardless of comfort.

entropy Oct 13, 2010 11:35 am

I know of one of his customers who are very price sensitive. They would much rather take a connection through Prague than a non-stop flight to save $400 per ticket. What is best for you is not necessarily the best for someone else. One person wants convenience and another wants service and another wants the lowest price regardless of comfort.
most corporate travel policies prioritize employee time over price, which is part of why nonstops tend to be more expensive than connections. LY isn't going to make it catering to the bargain basement travelers. With the plethora of large network airlines, you can get from almost any major city to almost any other major city with 1-2 connections, so the notion that its somehow competitive with "existing" service is silly.

joshwex90 Oct 20, 2010 6:56 am

I was also interested for details about Bar. Otherwise, don't include her in the title!!

As for competition, I'd have to agree with entropy on this. Once you begin to include stopovers, every airline has competition on numerous routes. CO for example has a direct flight (CO91) from TLV-LAX. It's via EWR, and it includes a change in equipment. So is that really direct competition to LY's nonstop route?
It's true that people could decide to do the stopover instead of the nonstop, but that doesn't explain his point, which sounds as though he's saying, since LY is no longer a national carrier, they are now forced to compete vigerously, but when LY was still a national carrier, no one else flew that route. That's just not true.

ebzed Oct 20, 2010 8:25 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 14978618)
I was also interested for details about Bar. Otherwise, don't include her in the title!!

I can tell you that i was seating with her in F few months ago, And that
i was not that impressed, comparing reality to posters - Someone is doing
a lot of photoshop on her....

joshwex90 Oct 20, 2010 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ebzed (Post 14979168)
I can tell you that i was seating with her in F few months ago, And that
i was not that impressed, comparing reality to posters - Someone is doing
a lot of photoshop on her....

Lol somehow I'm not surprised. I'm not her biggest fan, (or even a fan at all really, although she still is pretty good-looking,) but if you're going to mention her in the title, talk about her in the article!