Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Hundreds of El Al passengers spent 7 hours on tarmac in U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hundreds of El Al passengers spent 7 hours on tarmac in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
If the story is as per the article (and we should always take these stories with pinch of salt) then LY probably could have handled it a little better though I can see why they were a little restricted.

In terms of feeding the passengers, the problem with starting a full meal service while they were waiting on the ground would be, what if the problem was fixed and they got a slot for takeoff while the meal is being served?
This would have meant a further delay as a new take off slot would have had to be assigned once and only once everything was cleared away and the cabin was secured for takeoff again.

I guess the same applies for offloading passengers from the aircraft, though I cannot see how they can force anyone to stay on board if they request to leave.

I guess all the above is valid if they honestly expected the leak to be fixed sooner then it actually was.

In terms of the captain announcements, well by the sounds of it they could have done a better job.
More frequents announcements Im sure would have not gone unmissed.
If this was a BA flight (or BD for that matter) I can assure you the passengers would be hearing from the flight deck probably every half an hour or so.
But then LY is probably the only airline I have ever travelled with when on more than one occasion neither the captain nor the first officer have bothered to make any announcement prior or after departure.

I wouldnt have been a happy bunny had I been stuck on that aircraft, especially in Y.
It's a bit easier to cope with if youre sat in C or F.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
The author or the reader?
I don't want to get too personal; I certainly don't want to personally witness any tents being pitched by strangers; and I double-certainly don't want to see the pitchforks coming my way.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't want to get too personal; I certainly don't want to personally witness any tents being pitched by strangers; and I double-certainly don't want to see the pitchforks coming my way.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:36 am

The article says they were given snack and drinks. It would seem to me that would fufill the new US rule.--and there would be no fine!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo
The article says they were given snack and drinks. It would seem to me that would fufill the new US rule.--and there would be no fine!
I'll re-quote the rule:
Airlines that let a plane sit on the tarmac for more than two hours without giving passengers food or water, or more than three hours without offering them the option of getting off, will face fines of $27,500 a passenger

The option of offering food and water is only ok if the delay is up to 3 hours, after 3 hours they have to be able to get off
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
LOL seriously.

It seems that El Al is just like any other crummy airline. Totally worthless, IMHO.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:17 pm

El Al is just like any other crummy airline. Totally worthless, IMHO.
I assume you beleive this forum should be closed, or at least merged in to the kosher food forum
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ELAL
I assume you beleive this forum should be closed, or at least merged in to the kosher food forum
Hah, no this forum, unlike that one, actually generates traffic. Plus, I get a kick out of reading the posts over here. Good stuff.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
Hah, no this forum, unlike that one, actually generates traffic. Plus, I get a kick out of reading the posts over here. Good stuff.
I dont understand the noise over this, As someone that fly quite often to the US
and inside the US, i am a bit surprised that its one flight of 6,200... It means either i am a person with very bad luck, and 40% of the times i am on that one special flight of the 6,200.

When i get stuck its in average its 2 to 4 hours and it happens on all airlines,
It happened to me as well in Qantas, BA and Thai...

\According to what you have wrote before, I am suppose to stop flying 8-)
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by ebzed
I dont understand the noise over this, As someone that fly quite often to the US
and inside the US, i am a bit surprised that its one flight of 6,200... It means either i am a person with very bad luck, and 40% of the times i am on that one special flight of the 6,200.

When i get stuck its in average its 2 to 4 hours and it happens on all airlines,
It happened to me as well in Qantas, BA and Thai...

\According to what you have wrote before, I am suppose to stop flying 8-)
There is a big difference between a 2 hour delay and a 7 hour delay. Wouldn't you agree?

I think most folks would agree that 7 is sort of unreasonable.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ELAL
I'll re-quote the rule:
Airlines that let a plane sit on the tarmac for more than two hours without giving passengers food or water, or more than three hours without offering them the option of getting off, will face fines of $27,500 a passenger

The option of offering food and water is only ok if the delay is up to 3 hours, after 3 hours they have to be able to get off
This rule does not go into effect until 120 days after December 21, 2009, the date of it was published in the Federal Register.

DOT Press Release

Enhancing Airline Pasenger Protection - Document Details
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:46 am

There is a big difference between a 2 hour delay and a 7 hour delay. Wouldn't you agree?

Ebzed, he's enjoying try to wind us up over here, he's pretending to not have seen what I mentioned in one of my previous posts, that somebody had reported 9 hours with Continental, and with BA I found 2 complaints one of 7.5 hours, and one of 11 hours.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:00 am
Suspended

What I find intruiging is, that the threads title states 7 hours, the witness in the article claims 6 hours and ELAL talks about 5 hours.

Why people dont just call the cops when that happens. If I want to leave and not being allowed without proper authority I am held hostage.

And also I think that the denial / unwillingness to provide a decent drink and food service and communication to the passengers regarding the delay by the captain is just yet another example of personal behavior that is more than just questionable!

Last edited by SwissCircle; Dec 30, 2009 at 2:06 am
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:21 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum

First, Dont believe on everything you read on newspaper,
According to EL-AL it was 5 hours and not 7...
According to the Airpoirt, They took off on 18:14,
which even makes it less than 5 hours...

(Only drinks and snacks were offered as they probably didnt used the Auxliery Engine (sorry if that's not the name) due to the fuel leak, same all the other amenities that might require the same)

So please make me a favor and stick to your note, Dont Fly EL-AL...
I am sure they will survive without you.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by SwissCircle
What I find intruiging is, that the threads title states 7 hours, the witness in the article claims 6 hours and ELAL talks about 5 hours.
Take off was nearly 6 hours late, but boarding started 45 minutes earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.