Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Hundreds of El Al passengers spent 7 hours on tarmac in U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1138397.html
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
disgusting

According to this article, does this mean ELAL will now be fined $11,000,000

US limits tarmac wait to 3 hrs

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/bu...=TARMAC&st=cse

"Airlines that let a plane sit on the tarmac for more than two hours without giving passengers food or water, or more than three hours without offering them the option of getting off, will face fines of $27,500 a passenger, the Secretary of Transportation announced on Monday."

Last edited by ELAL; Dec 29, 2009 at 6:48 am
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:02 am

The date of the flight (Dec 16) was before the new rule have passed (a week later) ...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by apirchik
The date of the flight (Dec 16) was before the new rule have passed (a week later) ...
I wonder if they can fine foreign airlines too
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by ELAL
As I understand it, a passenger can sue damages from the airline in the USA, just like you can do in Europe with EU regulation 261/2004 - regardless of the base of the airline.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:40 am
Suspended

I dont know why any Israeli should be complaining, all I ever hear is We want to be like America. Welcome Aboard.

Oh you guys only want the good parts, not gonna happen

That said to LY
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Wow, that's miserable.

Note to self: Stay away from El Al.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sure. Foreign airlines operating in the US are subject to US jurisdiction while operating in the US.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:05 am

I don't believe El Al could have unloaded the passengers.

Per US laws, once you have boarded the plane to an international flight you have departed the USA and the I-94 slips have been taken away from you. Knowing EWR terminal B (like most other terminals in the USA), once you are off the plane in the terminal building, there is no way to prevent a passenger from getting out and staying in the USA without registration. Deplaning would mean going through immigration and that would be a long process.
Also, there is a question of legality of the crew hours once the cabin door opens.

In all, when the question is whether to stay on the plane for 5 hours or stay in the USA for another 24 hours, I guess most would take the 5 hour delay.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:21 am
Suspended

Per US laws, once you have boarded the plane to an international flight you have departed the USA and the I-94 slips have been taken away from you. Knowing EWR terminal B (like most other terminals in the USA), once you are off the plane in the terminal building, there is no way to prevent a passenger from getting out and staying in the USA without registration. Deplaning would mean going through immigration and that would be a long process.
Also, there is a question of legality of the crew hours once the cabin door opens.

In all, when the question is whether to stay on the plane for 5 hours or stay in the USA for another 24 hours, I guess most would take the 5 hour delay.
US law doesn't stop other departing airlines in the US from going back to some gate at an airport to offload passengers after the flight has initially left the gate to depart the US. Other practical concerns (including those you mentioned) are what get in the way of going back to the gate -- it's not US law that is the problem.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Note to self: Stay away from El Al.
Well it seems very common at JFK reading this BA thread you hear of BA passengers stuck for 7.5 hours and continental stuck for 9 hours, in this thread you of hear of passengers stuck for 11 hours only 10 days ago!

Note to Self: Stay away from people who post such erotic posts, I assume ELAL will be glad for you to stay away.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:26 am

Well it seems very common at JFK reading this BA thread you hear of BA passengers stuck for 7.5 hours and continental stuck for 9 hours, in this thread you of hear of passengers stuck for 11 hours only 10 days ago!

Note to Self: Stay away from people who post such erotic posts, I assume ELAL will be glad for you to stay away.
What's an erotic post?

And are you offended that I still stay away from El Al?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
What's an erotic post?
A post that gets someone excited/aroused?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:35 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA

As someone who just recently handed in his I-94 in, boarded a UA plane, had to deplane (due to fuel pump issues) in SEA, and did not go through immigration again, I wonder whether this is a real issue. Of course, I wanted to get out of SEA, so I waited 21 hours inside the US (SeaTac hotels suck), and then boarded a different plane.

Now maybe one Israeli in a crowd (I thought about staying in the US, as I officially left but had to go to Japan) is not that harmful, but a plane full of Israelis is a bit too much. But of course, if they allowed UA to do so, then they should have allowed LY to do so, otherwise, they are racists, and use profiling...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A post that gets someone excited/aroused?
The author or the reader?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.