Search

Renting Convertible with Dollar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Renting Convertible with Dollar

Hi,

I am a longtime reader but now I actually have a question:
I want to rent an convertible - I actually want a Mustang - from March 26th till April 7th in San Francisco.

The cheapest rate I found was with Dollar. It is about $450. Compared to Hetz which charge around $800. I checked Alamo but they show as Cars the Chrysler 200 which I do not want at all.

Reading now the bad comments I wonder if Dollar should not be my rental choice. Will the car not be relatively new or in bad shape?
I am also surprised that there is such a big difference to the other rental agencies. Does anyone know if I can be sure that I get the Mustang? I am afraid I might get the Chrylser. Did anyone see a Chrysler convertible at Dollar in recent times?

Thanks for your help. Here over in Europe we do not have Dollar so I do not have any experience yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Eti
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: HHonors Gold,IHG Platinum
You can't necessarily rely on rental car website for make of car. You need to call directly to location you plan to rent the car from & ask. Specific make/model and/or availability may vary by location.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
+1. You might actually want to call and have them put a note to get a Mustang. Other convertibles I have seen in Dollar agencies are Chrysler Sebrings/200. Thankfully PT Cruisers were discontinued. Likely you will get a Mustang.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I will call them! Hope I am getting lucky!

Eti
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by EtiVo
Thanks guys. I will call them! Hope I am getting lucky!

Eti
I was also looking at convertible for Apr 24 - Apr 30 - total $321 plus it includes supplemental liability insurance and smth else.
what I found out:
1. rate $45/day
2. Called SFO location and O'Farrel and both confirmed they they only have Mustangs as convertibles
Old May 12, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Interestingly I have booked a one way rental with Argus.com who through the booking engine guarantee a Mustang for pick up at SFO and drop off SAN during Nov 13 for 4 days rental for 159 UK sterling pounds with free cancelation and zero excess.

On booking the confirmation cam through as Dollar Rental Company and the condition says "Mustang or similar". I have contacted Argus and reminded them of the car guarantee and they "say" they will send me an additional e mail confirming Mustang...we shall wait and see!!

I was just wondering if Dollar for this group of car actually only had Mustangs and no other convertible choice.

Nivsy
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by nivsy
Interestingly I have booked a one way rental with Argus.com who through the booking engine guarantee a Mustang for pick up at SFO and drop off SAN during Nov 13 for 4 days rental for 159 UK sterling pounds with free cancelation and zero excess.

On booking the confirmation cam through as Dollar Rental Company and the condition says "Mustang or similar". I have contacted Argus and reminded them of the car guarantee and they "say" they will send me an additional e mail confirming Mustang...we shall wait and see!!

I was just wondering if Dollar for this group of car actually only had Mustangs and no other convertible choice.

Nivsy
I rented a compact through x.uk in late June. A much better rate, all-in, than offered by x.us. When I arrived, Dollar @ SFO insisted that the rate required a pre-paid full tank. I resisted this on the grounds that my x.uk reservation did not state this condition although it contained others.

This is classic DTG shadiness perpetrated on fatigued and neophyte foreigners who've just endured 12 assnumbing hours, perhaps even on the machines of the gnomes or the Dilberts.

Resist their shenanigans. I insisted on taking a picture of the agent's T&C screen for the SAG - the screen did show this charge, although x.uk didn't. Clearly added by the franchiser.

Caveat emptor at this place.

I did get upgraded from a compact to the white Mustang convertible obviously because by the time I arrived - 12am - they'd sold out of more realistic cars. I did not see any other types of convertible in the DTG parking bays so you should be OK for the type.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:25 pm

Clearly added by the franchiser.

Several such instances of the Dollar/Thrifty counter agent requiring tour package customers to pre-purchase fuel have been described here. Most have happened at large corporate locations, which indicates a hidden system-wide policy.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Clearly added by the franchiser.

Several such instances of the Dollar/Thrifty counter agent requiring tour package customers to pre-purchase fuel have been described here. Most have happened at large corporate locations, which indicates a hidden system-wide policy.
Its actually in the fine print on the Tour package, but many people fail to see it since they only print the first page.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:31 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by am1108
Its actually in the fine print on the Tour package, but many people fail to see it since they only print the first page.
Thanks for the information. I must check it more carefully. I jumped to the franchiser-added conclusion because I've had bad experiences like that before and it's true that I didn't read all the pages of the T&C properly.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Must say and I just wanted to report a great service provided by Dollar at SFO airport. No problems whatsoever in getting my Mustang and was offered 6 different colors! What a choice! Happy traveller from the UK and well done Dollar both for the speed of pick up and drop off down at SAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.