Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Coping with traveling and a new "disability"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm posting in the this forum because I believe that although what happened to me could happen to a male, there are very real differences in how the sexes are perceived, and because women are still in the minority in the consulting field. I've tried to provide only the pertinent info, but it's still a long post.

I'm a senior consultant for a very large company. I've been consulting for about 10 years. I had my own small firm for several years. A little over a year ago, I dissolved the firm to take a corporate position that requires 100% travel.

Early this year I was diagnosed with a condition that required surgery. It was more serious than the surgeon initially thought and I've had two major surgeries in six months time. I was out seven weeks the first time, and I'll be out six to eight weeks this time.

My employer was understanding the first time; not so much this time. An HR person told me “you can’t be sick and do this job”. That’s when I got scared—and angry. I don’t see myself as sick, let alone disabled, though according to the ADA definition, I am.

My surgeon won't say my travel caused the recurrence, but says it's a significant factor. It's no one's fault, and there isn't anything I can do to strengthen/improve the condition. If I take a gamble and start traveling and it recurs I'll be looking at yet another surgery and I don't think I could handle that physically or mentally. I have been in a great deal of pain.

How do I broach this with my company? I know I can ask for reasonable accommodations, but is it reasonable to say "I can't lift anything and I shouldn't sit in position for more than an hour at a time.” That’s not how the consulting world works. At the same time, I resent the prospect of being put out to pasture because of a physical malady I can't change. I can request a transfer to a different division, but it’s hard to say what type of position I’d end up with and I could face a salary cut.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Would you resent working with someone who needed accommodations? Would you ask for accommodations? I want to do the right thing, but I also want to continue to work and grow in my career. I just don’t know what the right thing is at this point.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:51 pm

Sometimes, life s*cks.

I understand very well about having a disability that doesn't really seem like one - 3 years, after 20+ years of slowly deteriorating health, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder. Currently I don't look sick and I don't feel sick - but the reality is what I can do and stay healthy is severely limited.

It sounds like you are in the same situation - you don't want to think of yourself as "disabled" but in truth you face physical limitations that are quite restrictive to your activities. And judging from you have written, it sounds like your traveling consultant days are over, you know it and you don't want to face it.

I would ask a whole lot of questions - first of your doctors, then of a lawyer to understand exactly what your rights are, and then approach your employer to ask what sort of lateral move you could make.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
First of all, I am sorry for all you are going through.

I injured my left shoulder several years ago. The doctors said they "thought" it was from repeatedly putting bags in the overhead bin, car trunk, etc. I paid my part of the surgery, physical therapy, etc (I had insurance though). The first surgeon did the wrong surgery and I ended up with a more serious problem and more serious issue. I missed a lot of work, travel, etc. and it really did hurt the company. I did not ask for any compensation because I felt there was no way to prove that it was work related.

I was travelling when 9/11 happened. Because there were no sky caps working, I had to deal with the luggage myself - with the one arm I could use (my left arm was still unable to lift anything over 5 pounds). I picked up my luggage and POP there went my right rotator cuff. I did file this as workers comp and eventually had a settlement because I was considered partially, permantly disabled.

I'm VP of sales - it hurt the company. I felt a lot of pressure. I missed a lot of work because of the above. I was lucky that my company stuck by me and accomodated my disability (though legally, they also had to).

I have to spend extra money for sky caps to handle my bags at all times (I carry samples with me when I travel so I always have baggage). There are still things I cannot do because of the shoulder issues. People have been pretty good about it.

I am now in a wheelchair due to a broken ankle that has proven more serious than originally thought. I have not been able to travel for the past two weeks and hope I'll be able to travel next week. This was not a work related injury. I had to have concessions on my first trip after surgery which included a handicapped room that was twice as expensive as previously booked room (In Hong Kong). I spent lots of extra money on tips for wheelchair pushers, extra hotel help, etc.

You have every right to ask for the accomodations necessary for you to continue to do your job. After shoulder surgery, I asked for headsets for every phone. I asked for a new chair. A new way for my computer to be. Was I demanding? Probably. Did it help me do my job better? Absolutely.

I am not one to deal with things in a legal sense - that's just me. I try to accomplish things based on the reality of the situation and do things that I think are fair to all concerned.

This has been a long reply back but I wanted to give you some idea of what I went through and what I asked for. I hope it has helped. Please feel free to PM me for any specifics. I wish you the very best in this. I know how tough it is to go through this.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:40 am

First of all I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you're not in too much discomfort daily.

My advice is that YOU need to think very carefully about what accommodation you will need in order for you to be able to do that job in a way that your employer sees as effective. Then go to your boss an explain just what you need. That way you're taking a solution to the boss, not a problem.

I'm a consultant too. I'd been having a successful career for over 20 years and had a great health record. Then ooops - one leg broken and the other swathed in compression bandages and padding! The accident was no ones fault. After the initial first few weeks I wanted to get back to work. My problem was how did I cope with suitcase, briefcase and laptop PC on my travels while juggling crutches and not putting full weight on the broken leg. I looked at the assignments that were coming up in my firm and chose one where my skills fitted and the assignment was based at a single client site for 3 months. I went to my boss with the proposal that I should be assigned to that project and that the firm buy me another PC. I'd keep one PC at my base office (easy to use there and take home on the evenings and weekends when I was there). And I'd keep the second PC at the client's office and use it there and in my hotel on an evening. So I never had to carry the PC while travelling. I chose to personally pay for a valet service in the client's town to store and look after my clothes for the 3 month so I never had to lug a suitcase around either. And I swapped my normal briefcase for a backpack - not elegant but practical.

All this worked out just fine. I'm not saying the same solution will work for you. But that by going to my boss with a positive proposal rather than with a problem, my firm found it easy to make the accommodation I needed and they continued to look on me as successful consultant and I was able to continue with a job that I still love. A win-win out of a bad situaton for us both.

I hope this helps you some. Good luck to you.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Gosh, I'm sorry!

The wear and tear of travel takes a lot out of all of us, unfortunately.

As I've gotten older and travel is more difficult (and I get tired more easily) I've had to make changes in how I travel and how much I travel. Thanks to the internet and email, I'm able to do a great deal from my computer mostly from home that used to require travel.

The downside is that now I seem to work every day and nearly all day long sometimes into the night, but I'm not traveling when I do so.

Look for alternative methods of doing your job and negotiate. Your health (and avoiding surgery in future) is the most valuable asset you have. Defend it.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I went through this a couple of years ago (also in consulting, also in a senior position). I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder. As I got progressively sicker and started treatment, my illness was fairly evident (to my employees, to my colleagues, and even to clients). Rumors were swirling all over my company (that I had cancer, that I had X disease, and even that I was pregnant) and I finally (after consulting with an attorney and my physicans) scheduled a meeting with the director of HR and my supervisor to discuss the issues at play.

I'd say that you definitely want to have your ducks in a row if you choose to dig your heels in and try for accomodation. You will want to know both ADA and FMLA laws inside and out. You should also have a list of reasonable accomodations prepared and know which ones you must have met (and which you can be open to giving a bit on).

Its not a pleasant thing to go through - mine turned out well only due to a couple of strange twists of fate - one was that our entire organization got sold and we were able to spin our division off privately (meaning we now own the practice and can make our own rules as we see fit) and two, that I went into remission about three months after one happened. (I believe eliminating the stress in my life helped play into two... but that's another story!)

Here are examples of things I asked for:

* An allowance to circumvent the travel policy so that I would be able to get at least six hours of continuous sleep (i.e. no midnight arrivals for 7 am meetings or taking red-eyes home unless I was able to have a hotel room to sleep before the flight).
* Permission to work from home on days I had infusion so that I did not have to take actual paid time off.
* Slight modifications to the dress code to allow for accomodation for specific health issues. (Our policy required "suits" to be worn on client site - and I developed a painful skin rash on my torso that made waistbands very uncomfortable for a period of time - so I was able to get a modification that allowed for business "dresses" to be worn. I also had my feet expand from joint damage so that shoes became more difficult for me so I was able to get language expanded so I could wear my "clunky" shoes when at clients.)
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Techgirl, what a fabulous post. Excellent suggestions and solutions! ^
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for sharing your stories. Knowing I'm not alone is comforting. After much thinking, talking, and praying I have decided against asking for accomodations for travel. My traveling days are over. I'm not happy about it, but if I want the company to accept it, I need to do the same.

I have a meeting with my manager tomorrow. I am asking to remain in my division with the traveling consultants. The fact that I can't hop on a plane anymore doesn't change my industry experience and background. I hope the company sees it the same way.

I realize I may get shot down and be forced to transfer out. I've been worried sick about it, and I still am, but at the same time I just want to get it over with...whatever the outcome.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Good luck and definitely let us know how it goes. This is an issue that many of us will (unfortunately) have to face for various reasons over the course of our careers. I'm a big believer that being armed with information on how others have fared helps us pave the way for future accomodations!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
An excellent thread! It made me think about the randomness of events that life throws at us.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by techgirl
Good luck and definitely let us know how it goes. This is an issue that many of us will (unfortunately) have to face for various reasons over the course of our careers. I'm a big believer that being armed with information on how others have fared helps us pave the way for future accomodations!
Thanks, Techgirl. I agree--the number of people who acquire a disability while in the workforce is greater than many people realize...and there is strength in those numbers.

As for me, I will be transitioning to a TBD role in another division. My employer is being supportive, but I'm feeling a little sad, a little scared, and a little wistful. Having to say the words "I have XYZ limitations" during the meeting made it very real. I'm seeing a counselor to help me sort through all of the changes.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
I don't check this forum too often so have only just stumbled on this thread.

Sibley - best of luck with the changes. I had a serious illness a few years ago which put major restrictions on what I could do. I was off for a long time and when I went back to work ended up on a rehabilitation contract for a while. After that I elected to go part-time (not without some struggle from my employers - how I laugh when they get accolades for good work-life balance) as I could see that life outside work was very important. However I have to say that it has probably terminated my career.

Yes, I still do the same job but in the four years since I got back I've had low payrises and no promotions. My last promotion round I was told that I hadn't got it as "I was less ambitious than the others who went for it". Perhaps true but no good reason for turning my case down. Was in two minds to take the promotion case further and complain but haven't so far.

So I hope you settle in your new role and start to view it as an exciting change with its own challenges. In a way you may find it one of the best things you ever did. Hope it goes well.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by NorthOrSouth

So I hope you settle in your new role and start to view it as an exciting change with its own challenges. In a way you may find it one of the best things you ever did. Hope it goes well.
Second that! As they say, when a window closes, a door opens. Good luck to you.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

An update of sorts. I've hit a brick wall trying to transfer within the company. I certainly didn't expect to have my hand held, but I am disappointed that the company is a stumbling block rather than a partner. My HR rep actually told me no one will be looking out for my best interests except me.

I am documenting all of my efforts to find work in-house, and I have specifically asked HR, my manager, and our resource person what I should do, change, improve, etc. They all say the same thing: "You're doing all of the right things." But the fact of the matter is I'm out on my ear Jan 31 if I can't find anything.

I think it's time for a lawyer. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sibley
An update of sorts. I've hit a brick wall trying to transfer within the company. I certainly didn't expect to have my hand held, but I am disappointed that the company is a stumbling block rather than a partner. My HR rep actually told me no one will be looking out for my best interests except me.

I am documenting all of my efforts to find work in-house, and I have specifically asked HR, my manager, and our resource person what I should do, change, improve, etc. They all say the same thing: "You're doing all of the right things." But the fact of the matter is I'm out on my ear Jan 31 if I can't find anything.

I think it's time for a lawyer. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this.
I would definitely agree that is a good course of action.

I'm not sure of the specifics of your situation, but one of the things I can recommend in general is to check with any advocacy groups for your condition.

The Arthritis Foundation, for example, has a lot of resources on disability law and workplace rights for those with rheumatoid arthritis (what I have), fibromyalgia, and lupus. I know other "condition"/specialty-specific sites (like for MS) that also have such resources.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.