FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coping with traveling and a new "disability"
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:07 pm
baglady
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
First of all, I am sorry for all you are going through.

I injured my left shoulder several years ago. The doctors said they "thought" it was from repeatedly putting bags in the overhead bin, car trunk, etc. I paid my part of the surgery, physical therapy, etc (I had insurance though). The first surgeon did the wrong surgery and I ended up with a more serious problem and more serious issue. I missed a lot of work, travel, etc. and it really did hurt the company. I did not ask for any compensation because I felt there was no way to prove that it was work related.

I was travelling when 9/11 happened. Because there were no sky caps working, I had to deal with the luggage myself - with the one arm I could use (my left arm was still unable to lift anything over 5 pounds). I picked up my luggage and POP there went my right rotator cuff. I did file this as workers comp and eventually had a settlement because I was considered partially, permantly disabled.

I'm VP of sales - it hurt the company. I felt a lot of pressure. I missed a lot of work because of the above. I was lucky that my company stuck by me and accomodated my disability (though legally, they also had to).

I have to spend extra money for sky caps to handle my bags at all times (I carry samples with me when I travel so I always have baggage). There are still things I cannot do because of the shoulder issues. People have been pretty good about it.

I am now in a wheelchair due to a broken ankle that has proven more serious than originally thought. I have not been able to travel for the past two weeks and hope I'll be able to travel next week. This was not a work related injury. I had to have concessions on my first trip after surgery which included a handicapped room that was twice as expensive as previously booked room (In Hong Kong). I spent lots of extra money on tips for wheelchair pushers, extra hotel help, etc.

You have every right to ask for the accomodations necessary for you to continue to do your job. After shoulder surgery, I asked for headsets for every phone. I asked for a new chair. A new way for my computer to be. Was I demanding? Probably. Did it help me do my job better? Absolutely.

I am not one to deal with things in a legal sense - that's just me. I try to accomplish things based on the reality of the situation and do things that I think are fair to all concerned.

This has been a long reply back but I wanted to give you some idea of what I went through and what I asked for. I hope it has helped. Please feel free to PM me for any specifics. I wish you the very best in this. I know how tough it is to go through this.