Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do any other cultures do "doggie bags"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by GekkoHQ
Serves them right for having snobby waiters.

Dude you realise you have 666 posts. Scary? probably not..
Yes, I did.

But now I don't

I don't blame the waiter for being snobby -- the French just don't do doggy bags.

(I miss the wine bar, actually. It was a good stop after the show. Suspect they're more likely to have gone out of business because of the new non-smoking laws)
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:56 am
Suspended

Yeah although I was glad about the non-smoking laws (I'm not a fan of sitting in smoke), it has effected a number of my favourite bars, with a few going out of business. It's a big shame.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Not an easy task to do in the USA where you are served enough food to survive off for a few days!
Your post made me think about the Claim Jumper restaurant chain...
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, OZ Diamond, FB Gold, CX MPC
To the original question:
In Hong Kong they do, a lot. As ppl tend to order too much food anyways (food is shared between all guest mostly), it is absolutely normal to take home the leftovers.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:08 am

A waiter is supposed to serve you. That means cater to your wishes, within reason. If some French waiter thinks it is uncouth for you to bring home a doggy bag, he should keep his arrogant thoughts to himself and do as he is told. A waiter is a paid servant. Not to denigrate waiters but he is paid to wait on you and fulfill your requests. Who cares whether a snooty French waiter thinks that a request for a doggy bag is low-class. I think it is low-class to waste food.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:37 pm

I recall around 30years ago, Hong Kong diners would not pack up dinner leftovers...a sign of class. With more interactions with their "thrifty/cheap" American cousins, packing up the leftovers became OK. Of course, with the advent of more people having microwaves for at home use, the leftovers no longer are "cooked" to death.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Haven't noticed it in Asia or South America. Is there any place where taking your leftovers is as common as it is here in the US of A?

I did a search but didn't find a whole lot.
In the larger cities of Brazil I often ask for leftovers to be given to me or my group. The food portions in nicer restaurants are huge and usually there is a lot uneaten after one finishes a meal.

After dinner, we usually take a short walk. When we pass some homeless people on the street, we give the leftovers to them.

In Brazil, there are lots of homeless people even on Sao Paulo's Avenida Paulista where it is "upscale" so to speak.

Waiters do not frown on customers who ask to have leftovers packed and taken away. In fact, waiters often pack the leftovers in special containers that keep food hot.

You should hear the responses or see the happy looks we get when we give food to homeless people who could never afford the quality food they get from restaurant customer benefactors. Many of the homeless people recognize the containers from various restaurants in the area.

No, it is not unusual in Brazil.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
After dinner, we usually take a short walk. When we pass some homeless people on the street, we give the leftovers to them.
I did the same recently in the Haight-Ashbury area in SF with some baby back ribs my daughter barely touched. The homeless guys were right outside, so didn't have to walk far.

Traveling here in the states, I sometimes feel guilty when the server asks if I want to take the rest home and I say no, since my room doesn't have a fridge, but really don't have much choice. I would be perfectly happy if more places offered half portions, but that isn't very common.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:15 am
iff

Originally Posted by djk7
Traveling here in the states, I sometimes feel guilty when the server asks if I want to take the rest home and I say no, since my room doesn't have a fridge, but really don't have much choice. I would be perfectly happy if more places offered half portions, but that isn't very common.
I agree. Nowadays I often order an appetizer and small salad or veggie so I don't have to deal with huge portions and leftovers I can't use.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its not cultural or regional, its more about restaurant.

small portion of high quality x at moderate to high price = youre not going to have leftovers, and you dont take stuff home

its kind of the same as splitting dishes. at nicer places, they will do it in the kitchen.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:40 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

Its perfectly ok to ask for a DB... its all about how its done that makes a difference.

Then again I never ask for one....

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Aug 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.