Search

do any other cultures do "doggie bags"?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
do any other cultures do "doggie bags"?

Or is it strictly an American phenomenon? I haven't noticed it in Europe in my travels (except for one tourist couple who wanted a doggy-bag in Paris so that they could eat the rest of their meal later in the day as a picnic) and living there. Haven't noticed it in Asia or South America. Is there any place where taking your leftovers is as common as it is here in the US of A?

I did a search but didn't find a whole lot.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: AC
In Canada we do and the servers most often pack your food for you. I was a surprised when in the States, the customer packs the doggie bag.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by chatmax
In Canada we do and the servers most often pack your food for you. I was a surprised when in the States, the customer packs the doggie bag.
Depends on the restaurant in the U.S. I've found. Sometimes they do it for you, sometimes you do it yourself.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by chatmax
I was a surprised when in the States, the customer packs the doggie bag.
My experience in the US is that most restaurants pack the bag for you, especially the nicer ones.
Old May 24, 2009, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happens in Hong Kong, several of my local friends have asked for a doggy bag and I've been asked by a waiter more than once too. It would have to be an informal dinner - ensuring no face is lost - though.
Old May 24, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Quite accepted in Germany. Just have to ask to the waitress/waiter to einpacken zum mitnehmen

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Or is it strictly an American phenomenon? I haven't noticed it in Europe in my travels (except for one tourist couple who wanted a doggy-bag in Paris so that they could eat the rest of their meal later in the day as a picnic) and living there. Haven't noticed it in Asia or South America. Is there any place where taking your leftovers is as common as it is here in the US of A?

I did a search but didn't find a whole lot.
Old May 25, 2009, 3:46 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
It's done in Australia if the restaurant also does take-away meals (most Asian cuisines, Italian, pizza) but I haven't seen it happen at restaurants that are eat-in only (eg, steakhouse). You don't ask for a doggie bag, you just say, "can I take the rest of this home?" Often they'll offer to pack up the leftovers if you're slowing down. ^

One place (Chinese, I think) would package it up but put a sticker on the package saying they didn't take responsibility if you didn't store/reheat it properly, and one Indian place stopped doing it on health grounds (fear of food poisoning from badly stored leftovers).
Old May 25, 2009, 4:42 am
iff

In general doggy bags are not acceptable in France. A discussion of the topic in a French forum I frequent showed a few people for it, but the majority found the idea a bit disgusting.

Here's a little anecdote regarding an American friend, fluent in French language and culture, who dared to request a doggy bag in Paris:

Ms. X took some visitors to dinner at a restaurant. One person ordered fish, thinking it sounded good on the menu even though he didn't normally like fish. When dinner arrived, he realized he wasn't going to like it this time either, and so that beautiful whole fish sat untouched. Thinking it would be a pity to waste it, at the end of the meal Ms. X politely asked the waiter if he could possibly wrap it for her to take home. He regarded her with disdain and asked in a snooty tone: "It's for your cat, Madame?" Ms. X looked back at him and said, "Yes, it's for my cat."

The waiter proceeded to clear the table, stacking all the plates on top of the plate with the fish and pushing them down firmly for good measure. He disappeared into the kitchen and eventually returned with a small packet of foil. Arriving at the table, he squished the packet between his hands and handed the crumpled silver ball to Ms. X.

"For your cat, Madame."
Old May 25, 2009, 4:49 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Originally Posted by iff
In general doggy bags are not acceptable in France. A discussion of the topic in a French forum I frequent showed a few people for it, but the majority found the idea a bit disgusting.

Here's a little anecdote regarding an American friend, fluent in French language and culture, who dared to request a doggy bag in Paris:

Ms. X took some visitors to dinner at a restaurant. One person ordered fish, thinking it sounded good on the menu even though he didn't normally like fish. When dinner arrived, he realized he wasn't going to like it this time either, and so that beautiful whole fish sat untouched. Thinking it would be a pity to waste it, at the end of the meal Ms. X politely asked the waiter if he could possibly wrap it for her to take home. He regarded her with disdain and asked in a snooty tone: "It's for your cat, Madame?" Ms. X looked back at him and said, "Yes, it's for my cat."

The waiter proceeded to clear the table, stacking all the plates on top of the plate with the fish and pushing them down firmly for good measure. He disappeared into the kitchen and eventually returned with a small packet of foil. Arriving at the table, he squished the packet between his hands and handed the crumpled silver ball to Ms. X.

"For your cat, Madame."
Oh the French.. I hate them and I love them.. Hate that they'd do that to someone, but at the same time I feel asking for a doggybag is a bit uncouth and rarely do so myself.
Old May 25, 2009, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
common in hong kong, not too common in china tho
Old May 25, 2009, 5:09 am
iff

Originally Posted by KNRG
Oh the French.. I hate them and I love them.. Hate that they'd do that to someone, but at the same time I feel asking for a doggybag is a bit uncouth and rarely do so myself.
Oh, I agree--I don't think I would ever ask for a doggy bag here. The friend in question knew she was taking a risk, but she has a knack of charming everyone around her and decided it couldn't hurt to ask. No doubt in some restaurants she might have gotten away with it, depending on the setting and the wait staff... but normally it's one of those things that "just isn't done."
Old May 30, 2009, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I would have been terribly disappointed if Figlmuller in Vienna hadn't bagged up our unfinished weiner schnitzel. Their servings are about 3X what a normal sized adult can or should eat. Even my teenaged sons couldn't finish.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:53 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

I never ask for DBs but if you ordered and paid for your food then I dont give a damn what the waiter thinks... pack it up and keep your remarks to yourself...
Old May 30, 2009, 12:13 pm

i see it everywhere i go... but i never see it happen much in fancy schmancy places...
Old May 30, 2009, 12:36 pm

Very very very common in Hong Kong and Japan, and possibly most of asian countries, i do it on a daily basis, leftover dim sum, fried rice, even soup!!! as a matter of fact, it is quite uncommon to NOT takeaway the leftovers.

He regarded her with disdain and asked in a snooty tone: "It's for your cat, Madame?"
whats wrong with taking leftover food away? why do they prefer to waste it instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.