Reload this Page >

Tired of eating out when on the road

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tired of eating out when on the road

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:31 pm

i dont mind eating out all the time if food places are pretty good and reasonably priced. I will however eventually get tired but only after prolonged period of time (3+ months)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by element7
i dont mind eating out all the time if food places are pretty good and reasonably priced. I will however eventually get tired but only after prolonged period of time (3+ months)
Used to be a novelty.. nowadays its an ends that justifies the means..

We must eat, to keep tummies full..
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:02 pm

I don't have a big appetite, so I'll usually sample a couple of restaurants when I go somewhere new (just for the experience), but the rest of the time I eat out of supermarkets, bakeries, and sandwich shops.

Most of my travel is for conferences, and by the time I'm done visiting a bunch of different booths I've usually snacked myself to satiety anyway.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I usually never get tired of eating out. I only eat in the room on the day I arrive due to being tired.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I usually never get tired of eating out. I only eat in the room on the day I arrive due to being tired.
Good tip..

Often we arrive late, and really tired.. so its a slog to get something to eat, and head to the hotel..

We may try room service to bridge the lapse..
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Good tip..

Often we arrive late, and really tired.. so its a slog to get something to eat, and head to the hotel..

We may try room service to bridge the lapse..
It beats arriving in a hotel and having to go back out again looking like you just got off of a plane(especially intl flights)
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:37 pm
Suspended

It beats arriving in a hotel and having to go back out again looking like you just got off of a plane(especially intl flights)
Usually right off the plane, we're into a restaurant.. This last spring break, it was late onto BI and into the local grill in Kona.. didn't get into the hotel until very late..

Getting food at the room, seems appetizing, especially settling in from the flight..
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:57 pm

I think that there is a significant difference between eating out while 'on the road', which was the topic of the thread, vs eating out whilst on holiday.

While 'on the road', one is working, and often working longer hours than those working in an office environment. Many people think that life is so glamourous for us. 'You get to eat room service and in restaurants every day!' As noted, it isn't glamourous. Like many, I am sitting here late at night, working, after having finished a mediocre meal from room service. I can imagine that short trips of a few days are easier, but my 'trips' are often weeks or months at a time to varied destinations (some with extremely limited or no dining options)

On holiday, one has time to plan, indulge, and relax. That option isn't there whilst travelling for work. Combine that with having to often return to work after the meal, or to be 'on' during a meal with colleagues or clients, and eating on the road quickly loses its appeal.

I tend to favour grocery store meals and ethnic takeaways. If I am working with colleagues we try and schedule a night out once per week (but my American colleagues tend to go out almost every night, usually for a three course meal)

When I am on holiday my eating patterns change completely and I am able to savour and enjoy eating out. Doing so whilst working just isn't the same thing.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exbayern
I think that there is a significant difference between eating out while 'on the road', which was the topic of the thread, vs eating out whilst on holiday.

While 'on the road', one is working, and often working longer hours than those working in an office environment. Many people think that life is so glamourous for us. 'You get to eat room service and in restaurants every day!' As noted, it isn't glamourous. Like many, I am sitting here late at night, working, after having finished a mediocre meal from room service. I can imagine that short trips of a few days are easier, but my 'trips' are often weeks or months at a time to varied destinations (some with extremely limited or no dining options)

On holiday, one has time to plan, indulge, and relax. That option isn't there whilst travelling for work. Combine that with having to often return to work after the meal, or to be 'on' during a meal with colleagues or clients, and eating on the road quickly loses its appeal.

I tend to favour grocery store meals and ethnic takeaways. If I am working with colleagues we try and schedule a night out once per week (but my American colleagues tend to go out almost every night, usually for a three course meal)

When I am on holiday my eating patterns change completely and I am able to savour and enjoy eating out. Doing so whilst working just isn't the same thing.
Perhaps you can look at eating out after hours to be part of your free time and leisure.. I know its a stretch, but the mindset thinking that you're working and eating can be changed.. by a different mindset

I find rewarding yourself during work, by going to places you want to eat out.. is a valuable escape..

I eat out everyday, so regardless of work or leisure.. I take the time to enjoy where I'm eating at..
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern

I don't think one can generalize the on the road work experience for everyone. My experience doesn't sound as hectic as yours as all of my work occurs during the day while leaving my nights free to eat and relax.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Fortunately, most of my trips are only a day or two and my workload is less than it used to be. Working too much is
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Fortunately, most of my trips are only a day or two and my workload is less than it used to be. Working too much is
I would tend to agree.. too much work, is too stressful on the mind..

Plus, travel to me should be somewhat enjoyable, work or play.. Should take some time out for personal enjoyment, and do things to keep the mind at ease.. will result in better work mindset..
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I would tend to agree.. too much work, is too stressful on the mind..

Plus, travel to me should be somewhat enjoyable, work or play.. Should take some time out for personal enjoyment, and do things to keep the mind at ease.. will result in better work mindset..
I definitely perform better if I don't take on too many projects at once! I need time to swim in the hotel pool.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
I usually don't get tired of eating out when I travel. Day of arrival, I may stop and grab take out to eat at the hotel.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:46 am

I don't think one can generalize the on the road work experience for everyone.
Absolutely. There are many different types of business travel, from short 1-3 day trips, to weekly trips to the same location, trips to different locations every week, to month long trips or more. Some people travel for work once a year, or a few times a year, while others do every month, or every week. And then duties vary. Some people are 'done' for the night once they leave the office, others have to continue duties or are on call around the clock, and for many dinner is actually part of work and not down time.

But from the OP, I got the sense that he isn't talking about short trips.

I find that after a few days of eating out 3 meals a day, I get tired of doing so. I get to the point where going to the grocery store wherever I am and picking up a salad and a roast chicken or if there's a BBQ place, I'll get takeout, but eating alone in my room with the news on TV is far preferable to anything else.

At home, I love to cook, which I think plays into my fatigue. The other side of it is that for work, I talk all day, and by dinner, I just want to sit and be quiet, and not have to interact with waitstaff/hosts/others.
Again, going out after work every day (and possibly for breakfast and/or lunch as well) is different from going out every day whilst on holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.