Tired of eating out when on the road

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tired of eating out when on the road

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: Independent
Since I travel more for pleasure and am not as time pressed as many, I actually view checking out different specialty markets and take out restaurants. I find that markets are a very interesting experience when traveling to different countries, to see what people really eat at home. And local diners/quick casual places tend to have a lot more individuality and a lot more local flavor than fancier restaurants.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by N965VJ
..... (I’m convinced you need commercial rangetop to get those big woks hot enough). .....
That's somewhat of a myth. Using a wok really isn't necessary these days either. Just use a big saute pan (don't use non-stick), preheat on the stove for around five minutes, then add oil.

A lot of Chinese restaurants do use a lot of oil, but at the restaurants with the somewhat more skilled cooks, one can notice the decreased amounts of oil. Of course the amounts of oil and seasoning tends to vary depending on which regional Chinese cuisine is being cooked.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As a leisure traveler... I am more price sensitive... and I am a decent cook (IMHO of course ) so I don't have issues cooking.

So when on a 3 week trip to LIH or just a 3 day sojourn to OGG, I enjoy a fusion of cooking and eating out.

But I could see how eating 3 squares a day, interacting with others, after a full day can be arduous when stacked together.

Condos are your friend
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by jakuda
That's somewhat of a myth. Using a wok really isn't necessary these days either. Just use a big saute pan (don't use non-stick), preheat on the stove for around five minutes, then add oil.

I was just about to say the same thing, except that even non-stick is okay. Asian cuisine is the one I'd choose if I had to live with only one (sorry, Italian) and being a former chef and loving to cook, I have really worked hard to learn that style. I rarely order take-out anymore, because I can do it just as well, if not better ( and usually cheaper), using only a 10 inch non-stick saute pan. It's almost always a lot healthier, too. Remember - high heat and work fast.

Not that I wouldn't love a wok...I just don't need it.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:30 pm

My work sends me to lots of small towns (30K - 75K). I'm tired of almost all the chains, but I don't mind sitting alone in a restaurant as I usually have my nose buried in a book. I'll research restaurants online as much as possible (not a reliable method for small towns), and will ask for recommendations from clients and hotel staff. Even with these, it's a crapshoot.

But I admit that in lots of towns I'll skip local fare altogether (I defy you to name a decent restaurant in lots of the towns I visit) and stop at the grocery store on the way to the hotel. I tend to get lots of ready-made salads - the kind that are in plastic bowls and contain dressing/crouton packets. In my luggage I always carry a couple of plastic utensil packs from my hometown restaurants.

Room service, when available, is usually worse than the local restaurants.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by deubster
My work sends me to lots of small towns (30K - 75K). I'm tired of almost all the chains, but I don't mind sitting alone in a restaurant as I usually have my nose buried in a book. I'll research restaurants online as much as possible (not a reliable method for small towns), and will ask for recommendations from clients and hotel staff. Even with these, it's a crapshoot.

But I admit that in lots of towns I'll skip local fare altogether (I defy you to name a decent restaurant in lots of the towns I visit) and stop at the grocery store on the way to the hotel. I tend to get lots of ready-made salads - the kind that are in plastic bowls and contain dressing/crouton packets. In my luggage I always carry a couple of plastic utensil packs from my hometown restaurants.

Room service, when available, is usually worse than the local restaurants.
This is the other part of my issue, now that you mention it. I'm not a big fan of the chains, so when I'm in smaller cities, and the clients recommend Olive Garden or Chilis as "the" spot to go, I'll head to the local grocery. On the other hand, I do like to try new restaurants, and have been lucky to find a few diamonds in the rough. While slogging through the rough, instant oatmeal starts to look like a great alternative.

As far as the grocery stores, I find that even if I don't need to, I'll still walk up and down most aisles, just to see what they have that might be different from the stores at home. Or I'll be looking for a specific item that I can't get at home. It's relaxing, being in the store, as opposed to a restaurant.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:33 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by brendog
There is nothing quite so unpleasant as eating alone in a restaurant. I'm never quite sure what to do to occupy myself, so I generally bring my lappy and work until my food comes.

I usually opt for the take-away or delivery route, and grab a 12-pack of beer. Admittedly, I'm getting sick of pizza...
The 12-pack should give you enough nutrition by itself. But I disagree about
eating alone: when doing so I get to concentrate on the food, which is a
nice thing once in a while. You just have to change your priorities for the
occasion. Lucullus dines with Lucullus, you know.

Originally Posted by braslvr
That, and increase the 'one tablespoon' of oil called for in most home recipes to 4 or 5, like they do. Seriously.
It's perfectly okay to use this much oil as a vehicle for heat, but remember to
dip or pour it off before plating the dish. What you must remember is to never
overload the pan - if necessary, cook in stages, a small quantity at a time,
combining at the end when you've made your sauce.

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Phew, thought this was a misplaced OMNI thread.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by brendog
There is nothing quite so unpleasant as eating alone in a restaurant. I'm never quite sure what to do to occupy myself, so I generally bring my lappy and work until my food comes.
That is why I will do one of two things:
1. Go to a bar to eat. That way I can sit there and watch a sporting event on the tube and strike up conversation w/those around me (if I'm inclined to do so, that is). Even better, if I can find an irish pub and have some Shepherd's Pie.

2. Take a book with me. I do this a lot, actually, at sit-down places. As recently as last week while in SBA at a sushi place sitting at the sushi bar. Now THAT time, I did strike up some good conversation w/a family sitting next to me at the bar. Turned out to be an enjoyable dinner.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: EY Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
pot noodles!!! The simplest, quickest "meal"
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
When I was traveling for work I was fortunate enough to become friends with the owners of a few restaurants and that friendship led to access to the kitchen where I could prepare whatever I wanted during business hours. It was different, an education and I did not have to wash the dishes or pans One option to not eating alone are restaurants that have a communal table. This has resulted in friendships and business leads.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
I hate eating alone when travelling for business. 9 times out of 10 I will end up at McDonalds drive through!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:22 am

I enjoy eating out... i love going to malls and eating in restaurants.. and also i love hanging out with my friends.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:27 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by PSUhorty
That is why I will do one of two things:
1. Go to a bar to eat. That way I can sit there and watch a sporting event on the tube and strike up conversation w/those around me (if I'm inclined to do so, that is). Even better, if I can find an irish pub and have some Shepherd's Pie.
I usually eat at the bar if possible, but i do grow weary of all things travel related. Especially the inability to whip up something to eat a two in the morning!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
I have some customers that have been kind enough to invite me over for cookouts. Quite nice for someone that's traveled for 35 years.
After a while, you know exactly how the script is gonna go one minute after walking into a restuarant.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Cosby
I hate eating alone when travelling for business. 9 times out of 10 I will end up at McDonalds drive through!
I can't do it...I can't do McDonalds or chains. I get the breakfast at the hotel and I always get the same thing, yogurt, fruit and maybe on hot item, but home I never eat that, at home it's a bagel or toast.

Then at lunch I get forced to eat sandwiches from a local place or bring back a nice burrito or something. Then dinner is just painful since I have to eat alone at some restaurant....but the worst is HNL where I go out of my way to get take out and veg out in my room.

Simply put, I want to hit the grocery store, get more lunch stuff and I love eating solo in my room, no neighbors and just watching TV or going through my emails at my own pace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.