Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Beef in the World

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Talking Best Beef in the World

I'm a beef-lover. I love it grilled, sauteed, stewed, whatever. It's delicious. And we've all heard about the excellence of Argentina's beef. Let me tell you, it's true! It's all natural, organic, fed on grass, not corn. And the amount of time and concentration that the Argentines put into grilling it! No matter what part they're grilling--from ojo de bife (rib-eye) to chinchulin (intestine). I love all the parrillas (steakhouses) in Buenos Aires. So, anyway, I was interested in finding out what other people thought of Argentine beef and its comparison to beef from the rest of the world.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Welcome to Flyertalk!

You'll find many Flyertalkers are familiar with and love Argentine beef, not to mention the fabulous and reasonably priced wines.

As you familiarize yourself with Flyertalk, take notice of the Community Buzz forum. There's an annual event each fall in Buenos Aires attended by a few dozen Flyertalkers.

It would be fantastic to have another local (?) join in the festivities. ^
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:27 pm
Suspended

My experience with Argentine Beef is not that it is the best in the world, but that it is AMONG the best, and absurdly reasonably priced.

One can easily find a good neighborhood Parilla almost anywhere in Buenos Aires that will provide a very nice steak dinner for under 50 pesos (around $15), that is comparable to what one would pay $30-40 for in most areas of the U.S. (and more like $50 in a major city).
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
While Argentine beef is great, don't get me wrong, and perhaps I'm a bit loyal to my own countrys beef production, but IMHO there's nothing better than Australias own 1824 Beef
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
And there is Kobe beef.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I'm salivating. Haven't tried Argentine beef but for me kobe beef rules, japanese kobe that is, not the other stuff.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mochilerainbsas
It's all natural, organic, fed on grass, not corn.
No thanks...I like my moo finished with maize in the feedlots before heading to the slaughterhouse.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I much prefer Argentine or Brazilian grass fed beef over grain fed. The outstanding taste does come at the expense of some tenderness and marbling though. I know very few Americans who prefer grass fed beef.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I like Kobe but it is a more delicate flavor. I doubt I could tell the difference between Argentinian and Australian. Both are outstanding, and much better than the feed lot stuff. But there is also some excellent grass fed US beef.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I'd take Kobe any day.. I've also tried Australian, NZ, and US.. Never Argentinian though.. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by braslvr
I much prefer Argentine or Brazilian grass fed beef over grain fed. The outstanding taste does come at the expense of some tenderness and marbling though. I know very few Americans who prefer grass fed beef.
Very few Americans would know how to cook it properly. Any more done than some pink in the middle is going to provide for a poor dining experience, even for those who generally like their beef "traditional NY style" Restaurants in Argentina will just refuse to prepare it for you well-done.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I'll take a prime steak from Lobels
www.lobels.com
I have had great steaks in Argentina, Japan, etc. Nothing beats the steaks from Lobels in terms of flavor. IMHO, best steaks in the world.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:35 pm

Had a chance to sample aged beef in Melbourne recently. Its much better than I thought. I am normally a rare beef person but Australian aged beef is definitely not to miss.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:48 am

Long horn beef, grown naturally near Raglan Monmouthshire by Frank Sutton and brother, slaughtered in the village butchers, Neil James, hung for 3 weeks. enjoy.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by dannyr
While Argentine beef is great, don't get me wrong, and perhaps I'm a bit loyal to my own countrys beef production, but IMHO there's nothing better than Australias own 1824 Beef
Hopefully the restaurant at Breakfast Creek, Brisbane is stocked up for three weeks' time.

1824 has my taste buds nagging me.

(Welcome to FlyerTalk, mochilerainbsas and you have ample opportunity in 2009 to travel to the best beef places in the world.
As your first post is in this forum, I think you enjoy your meals. ^
DiningBuzz can be a good break from the miles and points and logistics - to enjoy the 'me time' part of your travel. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.