Search

Things You Order To Make The Server Say "huh?"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Boghopper
We've seen it, and it looks disgusting.
I wouldn't Google "patat oorlog" if I were you, then...
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:04 pm

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
Originally Posted by astanley
If you find mayo so disagreeable, then don't order poutine in Quebec.
With foie gras ? Salivating....

http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/#
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Gluten free

...especially international.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by astanley
If you find mayo so disagreeable, then don't order poutine in Quebec.
I can't stand mayo, whether on fries or not. That said, if it weren't for a general revulsion of the stuff, I don't see how it would be any worse than cheese or gravy or ranch dressing on french fries.

Now, fries dipped in tzatziki(*) is really good

(* or other national variants like cacik or lebanese yoghurt salad.)
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"espresso doppio macchiato" is an order that confuses loads of waiters/baristas in Italian cafes outside Italy.
Lemon to squeeze on steak/meat also causes a bit of confusion. In VIE, I was brought a tiny slice (off the bar that used lemon slices for drinks) on top of my massive Schnitzel, and in England I was once asked to pay an extra 70p for the lemon!
Plenty of drinks orders confuse bartenders, because I tend to know their drinks better than themselves! I am having a lot of trouble explaining what Krupnik is to barpersons at bars that evidently stock it and I can see the bottle...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Surprisingly, a fair number of people seem to give me a blank stare when I ask what single malt scotch they have. Some of the answers arent good either.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Please pass me some MSG.

I love MSG.
Eat it with my popcorn, we have premixed salt and MSG shaker. Anytime we pass the salt, MSG is included.

Most servers are insulted that I want MSG and they insist they do not use it.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Please pass me some MSG.

I love MSG.
Eat it with my popcorn, we have premixed salt and MSG shaker. Anytime we pass the salt, MSG is included.

Most servers are insulted that I want MSG and they insist they do not use it.

Mmmmm, MSG I'm quite fond of it, too, especially when cooking. Rarely a savory dish goes by without reaching for the bag of Ajinomoto. It's also one of my secret ingredients in chocolate chip cookies.

Have no tried it on popcorn, though, and will have to one of these days - although the microwave stuff I usually have is so flavored-up with the fake butter that it probably doesn't need it.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I really love the free refill hot chocolates at places like Bob Evans, I always ask for a mug of the whipped cream on the side and eat it by itself
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by Fraser
I did once ask for a glass of cava on Iberia and was brought coffee
maybe you should have asked for kava instead
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
cava = underrated
kava = overrated
Old Nov 29, 2008, 1:41 pm

I think the biggest one would be drinks. The server often will write it down and then come back and ask how to make it. I was not impressed last weekend when I went out to dinner with my sister and the server came back and said the bartender didn't know how to make a "Love Potion" so did I want something else? Usually they will ask what's in it and the bartender will attempt to make it- and usually do it right! I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:23 am

I too like a blue steak. I find that when I order one in France the waiter often looks surprised (as if to say, "What? an Anglo-Saxon ordering a steak cooked blue!), but I get what I want. In the USA and the UK, about half the time the steak comes medium—rare (if you ask for it blue or rare) or medium (if you ask for it medium or well-done) anyway.

I agree that any bartender worth his or her job ought to know what a whisky sour is. Even if not, a good bartender always has a good book of mixed drinks and cocktails to hand and ought to be able to look it up. (After all, no one can remember everything, I guess.) I was surprised on a recent visit to Seattle that the bartender in the main bar of one of the top-line hotels didn't know what a champagne cocktail was. One of the waitresses knew, though...
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:11 am

I love fries with mayo. Ketchup just makes everything taste like corn syrup. The French got that right.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveltalker
I think the biggest one would be drinks. The server often will write it down and then come back and ask how to make it. I was not impressed last weekend when I went out to dinner with my sister and the server came back and said the bartender didn't know how to make a "Love Potion" so did I want something else? Usually they will ask what's in it and the bartender will attempt to make it- and usually do it right! I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.
To be fair to them, there are literally thousands of cocktails and cocktail names the world over, and even the supposedly "classic" ones have many different versions, so, unless it's in the menu, I never ask for a cocktail by name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.