Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things You Order To Make The Server Say "huh?"

Things You Order To Make The Server Say "huh?"

Old Oct 28, 08, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

surprisingly, two servers at one of the busiest korean places near me had apparently never seen a caucasian order the raw beef. one was befuddled, while the other initially told me they were out, when they werent.

no idea why they saw raw beef as so different, considering the popularity of sushi, and the western equivalent steak tartare.

more amusingly, my friend stopped by a suntory trial stand in japan over the summer, and sampled some single malts. the guy manning the stand asked how he wanted it mixed, and my friend said straight. he then proceeded to nose and taste, while the guy manning the booth stared at him "as if he were the most hardcore scotch connoisseur he had ever seen."

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 28, 08 at 12:37 am
Old Oct 28, 08, 2:08 am

Programs: Co Gold
Originally Posted by iainbhx View Post
At a certain 3 Michelin Rosetted restaurant in Rome, a request for a simple glass of vodka, no ice but in a chilled glass from my dining companion, got a bit of a mardy from the waiter.
Almost the opposite at a bar in Prague about 20 years back. Asked for a vodka and orange and the barman would only give me them in separate glasses as he didn't want me to ruin the vodka.

In fairness I only drink it neat now thanks to him
Old Oct 28, 08, 2:41 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by cstead View Post
One of my favorite drinks is the calimocho - equal parts cola and red wine with a few ice cubes tossed in. Most people have never heard of it or have any idea, and when I explain it, they usually cringe.
AFAIK, it's from Spain - also sometimes spelled Kalimotxo (or some variant thereof).

I actually prefer tinto de verano, which is more or less the same thing but with Sprite (or, if in Spain, Casera) instead of cola. Goes down very nicely when it's hot and/or when the wine is of not-great quality.
Old Oct 28, 08, 2:58 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
When I order a eggs for breakfast, I will usually order them "fried over hard, yolks broken"... Even when having Eggs Benedict or other dishes traditionally served softer.

This occasionally requires me to send my eggs back to the kitchen for more cooking....when a chef or waitress decides I could not have *really* meant what I ordered. If I have to send it back, I'll usually add the helpful instruction that "if the eggs are not solid when they get back, I'll see how well they splatter as a decoration..."
Old Oct 28, 08, 3:03 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
chilled vodka without ice is hard to find, most places want to put it on the rocks or water it down in ice and pour it off into shot, no thanks!
If you call in advance, my favorite Russian restaurant will have a bottle of your favorite Vodka frozen *in the middle* of a block of ice with nothing but the neck exposed, ready for pouring neat. Nastrovya!
Old Nov 4, 08, 9:47 am

Hot Water

My wife is from Asia and like many Asians she likes to drink hot water with her dinner. 10 out of 10 times when we order hot water at a restaurant in Europe or the US we get a blank look. We then explain that we want "tea without the tea", that usually works. Most of the time we get charged for a tea

Last edited by ql2112; Nov 4, 08 at 9:47 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 4, 08, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Oh I get this kind of thing far too often to even remember, as a Brit living in Virginia.

"You want that with that??"

I did once ask for a glass of cava on Iberia and was brought coffee

Originally Posted by Soames View Post
Mr. Soames, who's very "British", once asked for some extra tartare sauce for his fish, at a Red Lobster in FL. The young waitress looked at him with a blank stare; then repeated "ta-ta sauce? what's that?"
That'll teach you for eating at a Slobster
Old Nov 5, 08, 10:26 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Oh I get this kind of thing far too often to even remember, as a Brit living in Virginia.

"You want that with that??"
I get really whipped up by the following conversation, which seems to happen all of the time:

Andrew: "I'd like a burger, fries, and a Sprite"
Server: "One burger, with fries, and a Coke"
Andrew: "No, a Sprite."
Server: "Right, a Coke."
Andrew:

Everything down here, except for a Doctor Pepper, is a bleeping Coke. Drives me nuts.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Nov 5, 08, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
the bread is toasted and the tuna and mayo melt nicely without cheese. Works well, also, with a cheese-free "patty melt." Yet, another circumstance when I get a weird look: "Patty melt without cheese."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYCTVlxVx0I

From "Dead Like Me", the (in)famous patty melt scene.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Nov 6, 08, 1:51 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by stut View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

Re eggs - I'm always surprised at how often ordering poached eggs results in a blank stare. It's not that odd, surely?
Poached eggs, but do not overcook the yolk, I was told recently to order runny, that sounds sick.
Old Nov 14, 08, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Soames View Post
Mr. Soames, who's very "British", once asked for some extra tartare sauce for his fish, at a Red Lobster in FL. The young waitress looked at him with a blank stare; then repeated "ta-ta sauce? what's that?"
Sounds like something that goes on the nipp..s.
Old Nov 14, 08, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by astanley View Post
If I'm feeling like a black and blue steak, I've found that ordering "Pittsburgh" gets more mileage than black and blue.

I've found some bartenders give me an odd look when I order a manhattan: "Knob Creek Manhattan, straight up, half and half, extra bitters". Half and half refers to half sweet, half dry vermouth, which is my personal taste for a manhattan.

I get a fair amount of odd looks in the US when I order fries with mayo. I don't know why, I kinda figured that people had seen mayo on fries by now...

Cheers,

-Andrew
We've seen it, and it looks disgusting.
Old Nov 14, 08, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by astanley
If I'm feeling like a black and blue steak, I've found that ordering "Pittsburgh" gets more mileage than black and blue.

I've found some bartenders give me an odd look when I order a manhattan: "Knob Creek Manhattan, straight up, half and half, extra bitters". Half and half refers to half sweet, half dry vermouth, which is my personal taste for a manhattan.

I get a fair amount of odd looks in the US when I order fries with mayo. I don't know why, I kinda figured that people had seen mayo on fries by now...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Originally Posted by Boghopper View Post
We've seen it, and it looks disgusting.
I think many of us can't handle the idea of taking greasy (but yummy) fries, and then throwing on even more grease/fat with the mayo. French fries are bad enough, but if you're eating fries with mayo, you might as well be injecting the fat directly into your arteries.

Old Nov 14, 08, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I think many of us can't handle the idea of taking greasy (but yummy) fries, and then throwing on even more grease/fat with the mayo. French fries are bad enough, but if you're eating fries with mayo, you might as well be injecting the fat directly into your arteries.

Are the fat police back? I thought the carb police would still be pissed off about ketchup on fries...

If you find mayo so disagreeable, then don't order poutine in Quebec.

Cheers,

-Andrew
fry-o-holic.
Old Nov 16, 08, 12:57 pm

Programs: Worldperks Silver, Dividend Miles Silver, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by astanley View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYCTVlxVx0I

From "Dead Like Me", the (in)famous patty melt scene.

Cheers,

-Andrew
GREAT SCENE. Thanx^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: