Search

Top Chef: Season 4

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Top Chef: Season 4

Anyone else think this group of people is particularly unimpressive?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:56 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
i havent watched this weeks episode yet.. but yeah.. no one is really standing out.

I'm very glad they got rid of Eric. Apparently no one taught that boy how to plate.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Hertz Five Star, Southwest A-List Preferred, Marriot Gold
can't think of a title

I've watched the first couple episodes. I feel like there are fewer creeps this season than last season. . . which is nice. I do however feel like the pool of competitors has become less talented with each season that comes out.

That said, I dig the fact that this season is based in Chicago. As a recent California transplant who grew up near Chicago as a kid, I enjoy seeing familiar sites when I watch Top Chef. . . although watching the competitors butcher deep dish pizza made me said.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:26 pm

I watch Top Chef religiously. I think that this season is pretty weak. Four episodes in and the chefs are already repeating themselves. The whole smoke under the plastic wrap was done in the first episode as was the whole eggroll made with the same fowl (duck in the 1st episode & quail in the 4th episode) as was on the plate.

Personally, the first season was the best for me. I LOVED Dave and LeAnn and Harold.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:19 pm

Agreed. Not to mention that quail had nothing to do with Christmas story.

I'm also getting a little tired of Richard, aka the fightin' faux hawk.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:51 am

I know what you mean. What is with all the chefs with faux mos?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I can't stand Andrew or Spike. Sadly, this means that I'll have to watch at least one of them make the final 3.

I agree, nobody is really standing out here, although I think the editing might have some of the women might be flying under the radar at this point.

When the electric smoker thing broke, and they were trying to figure out a workaround, I can't understand why someone didn't make a bong. That's all his little electric smoker looks like, a bong with a fan. Surely one of those three guys has had some practical experience with MacGyvering a bong, no?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
I didn't like when Padma asked Spike who he thought should go home, he or Manuel. I loved Spike's response that he doesn't play that game! ^ And just before that, Chef Colicchio told the two women they were safe. What is this becoming, an American Idolized version of Hell's Kitchen?

And I absolutely loved when Roeper said that he thought the food was pretty good and he had a different opinion than all the experts around the table! ^
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:42 pm

The fact that Spike refused to play the judge's game almost made up for his ridiculous looking hat.

Richard (aka the guy who hasn't realized faux hawks are played out) reminds me of the Marceau/Steven persona in Seasons I and II, but way less talented or fun to watch.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:09 pm

Spike totally earned my respect for that comment, but his dish that night looked digusting. So I would go have a drink with him wouldn't eat his food, even though he cooks Vietnamese and I'm Vietnamese.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the worst part about TC is Padma -- nice to look at, but when she talks...the lights may be on but nobody's home.

But I agree...nobody impresses me this season. Last season it was pretty obvious that Huang/Hung would win...and he did.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
More and more, I get the sense that this season is less about culinary talent and more about the personalities.

More faux caviar? Carpaccio and salad?

I want to see less team oriented tasks and more one on one.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:44 pm

Another challenge, another plate with faux cavier. Is that even cooking?

I'm ready for individual challenges or the alternative of the show eliminating all the chefs on the losing team. The faster this season ends and they go back to a cooking show next season, the better.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm quite surprised Bravo didn't exploit the lesbian romance a little more. I mean, I actually think it was classy of them not to, but let's face it -- these shows are about ratings.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm quite surprised Bravo didn't exploit the lesbian romance a little more. I mean, I actually think it was classy of them not to, but let's face it -- these shows are about ratings.
I think Bravo would have exploited the relationship more if it had been exciting and exploitable. It seems that the two were very aware of the cameras and tried to be discreet and respectful of the other contestants.

Seeing previews of Working Out and how Bravo is putting that lesbian relationship front and center makes me think that the network has no problem exploiting a gay romance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.