Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Regional Specialties - Candy Bars?

Old Feb 24, 08, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was munching on a Peanut Butter Club Sandwich this evening, and realized I don't ever remember seeing them outside of Northeast PA. These bars are two saltine like crackers with peanut butter between them and then enrobed in chocolate.

I got to thinking, what other types of regional candy bars, like the Club Sandwich, are out there that someone visiting an area should try?
Old Feb 24, 08, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Not exactly what you're looking for, but if you like Kit Kat bars, they are sooo much better in Canada than they are here in the States. The chocolate is far superior.
Old Feb 24, 08, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not looking for anything in particular, just interesting candy bars for people to try as they travel.

You are soooo right, Canadian Kit Kat bars are much better then US Kit Kat bar
Old Feb 24, 08, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Information Desk & Women Travelers

Programs: DL, AA
I don't know exactly where they came from, but one of my FT Secret Santas sent a package of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars with Green Tea Creme. They are about 1x6" and are divided into pieces filled with a green tea flavored cream (think York peppermint patty consistency). The package says they are manufactured in Dubai, but the writing on the bars looks more like Chinese than Arabic - not that I would be able to read either. Definitely worth trying if you ever see them!
Old Feb 25, 08, 7:57 pm

My absolute favorite were the toasted coconut covered marshmellows! Don't know if they were a midwest thing but I can't find them anymore.

And a peanut butter club sandwich? I've never heard of that. Who makes them???
Old Feb 25, 08, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
They are made by Costas Foods Inc in Pottsville, PA and are very addicting.
Old Feb 25, 08, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes!

Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
My absolute favorite were the toasted coconut covered marshmellows! Don't know if they were a midwest thing but I can't find them anymore.

Have never found anything like them. Great!

I love Canadian candies as well and stock up on them when I am there. Off Topic: I stock up on Canadian Red Rose tea as well.
Old Feb 26, 08, 10:11 am

Have you tried a Goo Goo Cluster? This was the local Nashville specialty when I was growing up. Caramel, marshmallow and peanuts (or pecans, in the Supreme version) slathered with chocolate. Like a Turtle on steroids. I haven't had one in years, because I like my fillings to stay where they are.
Old Feb 27, 08, 12:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
In Europe, they have Kinder bars, which are casual (not fancy) chocolate, but for some reason, more delicious than the regular chocolate bars (e.g. Hershey's) here.

I like Canadian Smarties (like m&ms).
Old Feb 27, 08, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Crispy Crunch -- only available in Canada -- they're the BEST!! Aero bars are great too -- especially the mint ones -- but I've seen them in the States too -- but never the Crispy Crunch.
Old Feb 27, 08, 12:48 pm

Does anyone have the dark and white chocolate Kit Kats as well as the regular were they live?
Minnesota introduced the Milky Way candy bar in 1923. Mars marketed the Snickers bar in 1930 and introduced the 5 cent Three Musketeers bar in the year 1937. It has never occurred to me that they might not sell these candy bars in every state.
Old Feb 27, 08, 1:04 pm

I haul Coffee Crisp, Kit Kat, Smarties and Aero bars (dark, mint, regulur, chunky) into the US for friends ~ and ~ bring Pay Day bars back

I love aniseed candies -- and I've brought them back from south Pacific and UK destinations. They are hard to find in Canada -- not sure about the US.

I hauled a bunch of Hokey Pokey back from NZ only to have my offspring declare that is was 'zackly like a Crunchie bar (sponge toffee). I also brought 4 'L&P' soft drinks back (like Sprite or 7-Up but with a HUGE citrus kick) thinking it would be awesome with Canadian Rye Whiskey ~ I can't comment if it was or not --- the same wicked offspring drank them and begged for more.

Does anyone have the dark and white chocolate Kit Kats as well as the regular were they live? And peanut butter and caramel and maple and chunky ....
Old Feb 27, 08, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by BNA_flyer View Post
Have you tried a Goo Goo Cluster? This was the local Nashville specialty when I was growing up. Caramel, marshmallow and peanuts (or pecans, in the Supreme version) slathered with chocolate. Like a Turtle on steroids. I haven't had one in years, because I like my fillings to stay where they are.
It's funny, Goo Goo Clusters were the first thing I thought of when I saw the OP.

I also enjoy some of the various KitKat flavors I find when I'm in Asia, and appreciate when friends bring them from their travels, too. And then there's Pocky...
Old Feb 27, 08, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by cbalaska View Post
Aero bars are great too -- especially the mint ones --
Absolutely! Those mint Aero bars north of the border are indeed the best. And the fact that they come pumped up with air bubbles lessens the guilt trip.

And what's a trip to Canada without Glossettes....which blow the doors off Raisinettes. Or how about a gross ol' Big Turk bar.....better living through Canadian chemistry!
Old Feb 27, 08, 4:29 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I like the Violet Crumble from Australia

and I'm not sure if you'd consider them candy bars, but here in Texas you can get really good pralines at the Tex Mex restaurants!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: