Reload this Page >

Regional Specialties - Candy Bars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regional Specialties - Candy Bars?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:35 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Aplets and Cotlets

'Nuff said.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:31 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Canadian chocolate is awful, especially milk chocolate, it has a grainey taste IMO, much prefer US or European chocolate. But most of all, and unfortuantely it doesn't rate as a regional chocolate I even saw one in Macau at the Venetian, is See's Candies, especially their dark chocolate of any kind.mmmmmmmmmm
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by marais
"Go get a Goo Goo...it's goooooood"

Goo Goos were part and parcel of my childhood in BNA. The Standard Candy Co in BNA still makes 'em and they are available at any Cracker Barrel store (which has HQ at Lebanon TN near BNA)...so convenient for my occasional cravings. I tend to favor the Supremes with pecans these days.

Standard Candy Co also used to make the King Leo peppermint sticks in the round metal tin...anyone seen 'em lately?
I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Cracker Barrel. If not, then it was Cost Plus (World Market).
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I also thought of GooGoo's as soon as I saw this topic. I remember being disappointed in them. When we first arrived in Knoxpatch 20 years ago, we were given a box of them, maybe 24 in the box and I threw out 20. 4 kids and none would eat a second one.

I'm more a fan of long gone or almost gone candy like the Nestle Skybar or Necco Wafers or b-b-bats or Sugar Daddys.
Necco Wafers still exist. I found them at a local dollar store 2/$1.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer
The Wall Street Journal last week had a great article on Remembrance of Candy Bars Past which mentions many regional treats.

I really enjoyed this article - which got me thinking... hey, this is Flyertalk, where could we find these delicious treats without having to leave the airport ??

Let's post our finds ! Any candy mentioned in the article, and best possible description of where to find them... airports are big.
(Mods please feel free to dissociate from initial thread if appropriate)

NB: most of these can be bought online - this is just for the fun of looking for them.

Cheers,
J-

Last edited by JudgeJ; Feb 13, 2010 at 3:42 am
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:41 am

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer
Goo Goo clusters

Here's one...

Goo Goo clusters, Memphis airport (MEM), several locations including Memphis Kitchen, terminal B, at the 'fork'; near gates B7 and B27.

Cheers,
J-

PS - I have a couple of said clusters which I would be happy to share with curious fellow travellers from Europe (to avoid any customs issues with the packet). PM me.

Last edited by JudgeJ; Feb 13, 2010 at 3:47 am
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
If your travels take you through/to London, England, then stop at any shop, Boots, local store and pick up a BOOST (by Cadbury - soon to be Kraft). By far, the BEST chocolate bar I've ever had. I love it so much, I usually pick up a whole box and bring it back home with me to Beirut.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Wintergreen as a flavour is completely unknown in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.