Wiki Posts
Search

Free Breakfast at Dennys

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles N More, One World
Free Breakfast at Dennys

Just came home from our local Dennys and got the free Grandslam.
Sure you pay for your coffee and tip but I got the GrandSlam Superbowl special.

Even in the small town of Douglas, Az it was crowded at 6AM.

Anyone else???^
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope...made an omelet at home. The stories about angry cooks leaving "presents" in the food today made this decision easy.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
I tried a Denny's a few months ago and found it so unappealing that I'm not going back even if it is free.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Nope...made an omelet at home. The stories about angry cooks leaving "presents" in the food today made this decision easy.
Whaaaa!?!?! Can you elaborate or post a link, please? Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:37 am

Free still isn't worth it to me for Dennys.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I love Dennys for breakfast. Their hashbrowns are food of the gods. Closest one to me is 2 hours away, and I make every effort to stop there if I'm near during breakfast time. There is no other large chain that comes even remotely close, and few independents for that matter IMO. I would have been pissed if I was there today and saw the line....
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by tonypct
Hopefully nobody will actually do that, but here is an explanation. Too many people tip a percentage of what they actually paid (and often less the tax) rather than on the actual value of the meal. So if all they actually had to pay for was coffee, they tip for the coffee and nothing else. (Just to use numbers for illustration, they might tip 10% of the 1.29 coffee instead of 10% of the Grand Slam normal price and coffee.) So the servers are working the same amount (actually harder due to the stampeding crowds in this particular campaign) for less money. The less ethical or more bitter servers (and cooks) may try to get revenge on their management by doing un-tasteful things to the customers.

What I can't figure out is what the Denny's executive management hopes to accomplish by this marketing stunt. Anybody know or want to hazard a guess?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Get people talking about them?

QL
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:27 pm

I would hope that Denny's would pay the people working today some sort of combat pay because people often don't tip well.

I tip $1 per $5 of pre tax total (because you're not supposed to tip on tax and tax doesn't count towards the server's sales anyway) so for a grandslam and coffee I'd probably only tip $1 anyway.

I'm sure many people will tip hardly anything...maybe just pocket change.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcwoman

What I can't figure out is what the Denny's executive management hopes to accomplish by this marketing stunt. Anybody know or want to hazard a guess?
You are posting on a frequent flier bulletin board about their promotion. I'd say they have accomplished what they set out to do with this.

Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
From cnn.com...

"This free offer is our way of reacquainting America with Denny's real breakfast and with the Denny's brand," Chief Executive Nelson Marchioli said in a statement.

Though not sure the next paragraph in the story is so good for the brand:

The Grand Slam breakfast consists of two pancakes, two eggs, two strips of bacon and two sausage links. It weighs in at 44 grams of fat, 56 carbohydrates and 770 calories, according to CNN affiliate KETV in Omaha, Nebraska.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonypct
Checkout the discussions on Slickdeals and Fatwallet.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I might’ve given them a try if it was for one of their sandwiches, since I’m not much of a big breakfast eater. Denny’s isn’t as bad as Perkins, at least to me.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 1:12 pm

I enjoy reading the web forum for servers in the U.S. and they've been talking about this. One guy reported people showing up in pajamas in his area Denny's. Another person who works for a different restaurant NEAR a Denny's reported overhearing her customers: they got the overflow crowd and some people were chatting about how they were going "Denny's Hopping".

Denny's is known for being cheap eats, and there's nothing wrong with that aside from the fact that they often to draw the less classy members of society. A campaign like this only makes that worse. When you advertise something is FREE, be prepared for the vultures to land en masse.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Free Grand Slam Breakfast Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2010 6A-2P

Bumpp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.