Wiki Posts
Search

Mustard fans?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I like very "hot" mustard. The Dijon mustard (which is in "theory" from the city of Dijon in France), one gets in France, seems to be much stronger than the equivalent you get in the USA. Maille (one of the brands most USA supermarkets sell) is rarely as "hot" as a container of the same brand purchased in Paris--why?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:52 am

A six and a bit year bump! Well, mustard is an ancient condiment I suppose.

Without reading the whole thread which started before I was born, I have always thought Dijon mustard to be a mild one. I guess mustards are marketed for the country they are in so do Americans like very mild preparations? French's yellow mustard, which seems to be the American standard, is a very mild one.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: aa gold
I love mustard. Ketchup is disgusting imo. I like horseradish mustards, but all different ones serve there own purposes.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Grey Poupon is made in New Jersey by Cambells soup company(or something like that)
Dijon mustard is like Champagne,it comes from one region only,Dijon France.
Try the real stuff-not only is Roland/Maille better(and authentic Dijon mustard)it is usually much cheaper.
I'm usually a buy whole grain dijon mustard, but recently picked up a bottle of smooth Roland Extra Strong Dijon and all I can say is WOW! One of my go-to entrees that I can prepare in a hurry is sliced and grilled lean pork loin, which I usually accompany with either a chutney or a mustard. The Roland is a great accompaniment and I've been slathering it on. Delicious!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Not a big fan of mustard (other than French's or Plochman's on my hot dog), but I keep a jar of Maille Dijon on hand, which I use in a Balsamic roasted vegetables recipe, and for when snooty friends are over. I also put some out for a charcuterie plate and pate for a party last weekend.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

This is one of my favorite mustards of all time; and yes — the address on the label is from Canarsie.

Mustard is one of my favorite condiments.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I keep and use a half-dozen different mustards, with the standard of comparison being a decent imported Dijon. For some reason, I've never been completely happt with the Grey "Poop" and Trader Joe's Dijon is several bricks short of a full load. Every pantry needs Coleman's Dry and one or more German mustards, but any horseradish infused/imbued mustards should be "mixed to use", never holding well.

One to try and keep....

Zatarain's Creole (How else to make a Remolaude?)
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
TMOliver, I totally agree on the Coleman's dry. I use it in so many recipes.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by wrp96
TMOliver, I totally agree on the Coleman's dry. I use it in so many recipes.
Of all things, nothing profits macaroni and cheese so much as a modest addition of Coleman's to the sauce.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Maille whole grain mustards are very good, but the basic Dijon is not near as good as Grey Poupon. Something about the taste is richer and more 'mustardy' to me.
That being said, the Maille they sell in the US is made in Canada, if we're comparing the ones in France it's a whole different story...

If you want good spicy mustard, just make your own with mustard powder or seeds, adding vinegars (you can change up the types for different flavours), salt, honey, all kinds of other things. This will also allow you to control the heat to what you like. Lots of good recipes out there, give it a try.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by plon
Maille whole grain mustards are very good, but the basic Dijon is not near as good as Grey Poupon. Something about the taste is richer and more 'mustardy' to me.
That being said, the Maille they sell in the US is made in Canada, if we're comparing the ones in France it's a whole different story...

If you want good spicy mustard, just make your own with mustard powder or seeds, adding vinegars (you can change up the types for different flavours), salt, honey, all kinds of other things. This will also allow you to control the heat to what you like. Lots of good recipes out there, give it a try.
I'm a big fan of most any kind of mustard. Every now and then I will try and make my own. Generally the recipe ends up quite large, and it takes a while to use it all. They seem to mellow as they age.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:42 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I tried a tarragon mustard the other day. It might go well in an arugula and chicken sandwich, but I'll stick with the regulars otherwise.

Also, every now and then I get on a horseradish kick. Might not matter during allergy season...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:48 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plon
Maille (France) have reinvented themselves with some exotic mustards... which are all very nice I must say. Eg Moutarde Cassis de Dijon.. or the Pistachio and Orange Mustard..

I have never seen them in store, but you can buy from their online store some of these exotic mustards in sample packs: http://www.maille.com/online-boutique/gifts.list
Old May 3, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: SQ
Mustard boutique Paris

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Maille (France) have reinvented themselves with some exotic mustards... which are all very nice I must say. Eg Moutarde Cassis de Dijon.. or the Pistachio and Orange Mustard..

I have never seen them in store, but you can buy from their online store some of these exotic mustards in sample packs: http://www.maille.com/online-boutique/gifts.list
In Paris, in place de la Madeleine, Maille has opened a Mustard Boutique. You can find all different combinations, Harissa Lemon, Mango, Blackberry....
Every time I am in Paris i pay a visit...
Old May 3, 2014, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

A mustard fan would be great on a hot day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.