Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Vodka" thread

Consolidated "Vodka" thread

Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brands are irrelevant for vodka. I buy the cheapest 1.75 liter bottle made in Kentucky from grain and triple filter it at home. In a blind taste test, no one knows the difference.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
love ketel one
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Brands are irrelevant for vodka. I buy the cheapest 1.75 liter bottle made in Kentucky from grain and triple filter it at home. In a blind taste test, no one knows the difference.
There was a Mythbusters about that...
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:54 am

My favorite is Grey Goose and I usually drink it with soda. Chopin is also very good but I can't stand Belvedere. I swore off Belvedere years ago as I really just did not like it. Ketel One would be in my top 5 also.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Tito's Handmade:

It all started when I went to a watermelon thump in Luling, TX, and my Uncle Phil shared some of his habanero vodka with me. It was cold out of the freezer and hot from the peppers. Really got you going, it wasn't just the alcohol, those peppers affected you like Chinese medicine. You could feel them in your ears, then your hands and feet. After a few years, I was sitting around thinking about what to give my friends for Christmas and decided to make a case of my Uncle's concoction. I didn't stick to my Uncle's recipe since my step dad said he thought the habaneros had crossed with the bell peppers that year. I tripled up on the peppers. They hadn't crossed over and the batch was hot as fire. About 250 people drank out of the 12 bottles and kept telling me to get it on the shelf but not to make it so hot! And, That's how It all began. After starting as a hobby, it went to full time. After talking to a bunch of retailers and distributors. I decided that flavored vodka didn't sell enough volume. It was then I decided the future was in micro-distilled spirits and so I created martini grade vodka made in a potstill. I tried to raise money and after two failed attempts, built my own stills and bottling equipment and got busy.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:21 am

Pravda
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Effen or Grey Goose. If I need to use a mixer, I think Pinnacle is great for the price.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Ketel One for me ... usually straight or with soda and a lime.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Haven't seen that one. Was the myth busted?

Originally Posted by thelark
There was a Mythbusters about that...
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Yeah, haven't been able to find Russian Standard Platinum around here yet. I heard that their new premium vodka, Imperia is also very good.

Originally Posted by tktk
I guess you have tried ordinary Russian Standard. There is also Russian Standard Platinum and this is much much better.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yevlesh2
Haven't seen that one. Was the myth busted?

Nope. In fact, the WSJ reiterated the strategy.

If you want to pay more for neutral grain spirits, go for it.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Tito's is good, smooth and drinkable, a well composed grain alky with no off-notes.

I like "Monopolowa" a medium priced potato vodka from Vienna. There'sa little potator edge to it, maybe oil from the peelings...
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:08 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by jedison
I've become quite fond of a brand called Hangar One, produced in Alameda, CA. Hard to believe, I know. Their regular vodka is excellent, as is one with Buddha's Hand (an unusual kind of citrus).
Hangar One is okay. It's made out of grapes.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Tito's Handmade:

It all started when I went to a watermelon thump in Luling, TX, and my Uncle Phil shared some of his habanero vodka with me. It was cold out of the freezer and hot from the peppers. Really got you going, it wasn't just the alcohol, those peppers affected you like Chinese medicine. You could feel them in your ears, then your hands and feet. After a few years, I was sitting around thinking about what to give my friends for Christmas and decided to make a case of my Uncle's concoction. I didn't stick to my Uncle's recipe since my step dad said he thought the habaneros had crossed with the bell peppers that year. I tripled up on the peppers. They hadn't crossed over and the batch was hot as fire. About 250 people drank out of the 12 bottles and kept telling me to get it on the shelf but not to make it so hot! And, That's how It all began. After starting as a hobby, it went to full time. After talking to a bunch of retailers and distributors. I decided that flavored vodka didn't sell enough volume. It was then I decided the future was in micro-distilled spirits and so I created martini grade vodka made in a potstill. I tried to raise money and after two failed attempts, built my own stills and bottling equipment and got busy.
you beat me to it ^^

Old Jun 28, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.5MM, SPG-Plat, HH-Gold, PC-Platinum
Chopin!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.